Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default How long can you hold onto water anyway?

I've been in a significant calorie deficit for nine days now, and the scale says I've only lost one solitary pound. My waist, meanwhile, has shown a steady decline - otherwise I'd be pulling my hair out. I know I've lost more than this and that it has to be water-weight, but I'm confused as to why my body is holding onto it for so long. I mean, if you're really losing fat at a steady rate, is has to release it eventually, right? What's the trigger for that? I can't imagine losing another inch off my waist and my weight not moving on the scales.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

For men 4-5 weeks.

Women up to 8.

This is purely based on anecdotal evidence I've seen while reading about this topic for the last 5 years.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'd say a month or so for me, especially with a new exercise routine. That and hormones can give me ridiculous swings.

On the subject of hormones, I'm pregnant with #5 and my weight bumped up about eight pounds in a week, with no calories to explain it, and hasn't come back down. But I'm bloated and my hormones are causing sluggish digestion, as is typical for pregnancy. Just an example of our bodies doing things independent of our input/output, with nothing wrong and nothing for it but time .

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 05-22-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #4  
Comes with Warning Label

S/C/G: 17st3/15st2/14st

Height: 5ft 7

My only contribution is, keep drinking that water! the more you drink, the more is gonna come off (1-2 liter/2-4 pints a day)
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

So purely for the sake of argument, I could in reality be losing fat on a steady basis through a calorie deficit and exercise (and seeing my waist measurement drop in a steady decline), all the while the scale numbers wouldn't budge? And this could go on for *weeks* on end before I would see the scale numbers move? Has this ever happened to anyone? I can't think of a scenario that would be more discouraging to a dieter. It's nice to see the measuring tape move along, but the scales are the standard by which, I think, we all measure our weight loss.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
So purely for the sake of argument, I could in reality be losing fat on a steady basis through a calorie deficit and exercise (and seeing my waist measurement drop in a steady decline), all the while the scale numbers wouldn't budge? And this could go on for *weeks* on end before I would see the scale numbers move? Has this ever happened to anyone? I can't think of a scenario that would be more discouraging to a dieter. It's nice to see the measuring tape move along, but the scales are the standard by which, I think, we all measure our weight loss.
When I start a new exercise routine sometimes I will even GAIN a few lbs before seeing it drop over the next 6-8 weeks.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #7  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Try not to get discouraged. When I was losing I often went several weeks without seeing a drop on the scale even though I stuck to my plan like glue. I knew eventually the scale would have to budge.

It's hard to be patient but hang in there.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #8  

Quote:
It is sad! I just do a grin and bear it. Minus the grinning.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Yes, that can happen. I managed to lose seventeen inches and gain three pounds during a six week exercise challenge in 2012. I looked great, but the scale sure wasn't showing it!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
It is discouraging and a big reason why there are several posts a week with minor variations on the same topic.

Fat loss and weight loss are not the same thing. Even people who are taught this have difficulty when the scale isn't moving and most people are never taught this basic piece of information.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #11  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

Agree with Tai. It's wonderful that you are noticing the shrinking of your body, even though nothing is happening on the scale. Let that continue to motivate you! We all want to see the numbers go down. Somehow that is the supreme validation of our efforts. I once went 5 weeks without a change on the scale. The thing that kept me going was noticing clothes were getting looser. If I didn't have that, who knows, I might have given up. Keep going!!!
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

I don't know if this will help you or not or if it applies to you, but one thing I have heard that helps when you are at a plateau like that is to have one higher calorie day. If your body has gotten used to the lower number of calories it is getting more efficient, and you could be stuck because of it. One high calorie day could throw that off balance and jumpstart your weight loss. I have even heard of people who had a high calorie day and skipped a weekend of working out and then got back on track monday to find they had lost weight finally.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #13  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

This is a dumb question, but if you are retaining water, wouldn't that water be taking up space in your body and making your body larger? I know when I retain water (edema) my finger and feet swell up.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
For men 4-5 weeks.

Women up to 8.

This is purely based on anecdotal evidence I've seen while reading about this topic for the last 5 years.
Best answer ever.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote