Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default Annoyed...just...annoyed

Why is this fat so persistent? I usually lose weight pretty fast. Not so much this time. My unofficial restart was on April 11th. I had cut back on the eating the week before, but nothing like a real commitment. That week, I went down 5 lbs(fluid). Nothing since then. Nada. No scale budge (on either scale), no change in measurements, perhaps a slight, and do I mean slight loosening in some clothes (1 pair of pants). I am weighing and measuring every darned thing I eat, I am exercising 4-6 (varies) times per week (strenuously lifting weights and doing cardio). I am always at or well below calories for the day. I am eating good quality foods. I do not have underlying hormonal issues(to my knowledge- all blood work has always been fine). I haven't even so much as wanted to cheat, so I didn't. Not once.

I know eventually if I hang on long enough, I should see something. How long should I wait before considering this a plateau? Can you even call it a plateau if you didn't lose anything to begin with? May 11th will be officially one month. Stories? Encouragement? Suggestions? DIE FAT DIE!!!!!!! I thought maybe I need to cut out the majority of carbs (I average about 100-150g/day now) and go low carb for awhile? Maybe I don't need to change anything and just wait some more? I just thought I would see something by now, just a pound even.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #2  
maintaining since 9/2013

That's got to be discouraging!!! Have you noticed your clothes fitting more loosely? How about taking a baseline waist measurement and tracking it each week? That's more telling than the fickle scale.

Going low carb sure made me lose weight faster. You might try staying under 100g, while maintaining total calories with added protein and some fat. Increasing fiber and water might help too. you could gradually lower the carbs if 100g doesn't get things moving. Under about 50g/day is ketogenic, but you need not be that low to lose weight.

Hang in there--it's going to happen.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

I had the same thing happen when I started doing HIIT and lifting weights. I didn't lose a pound, didn't lose inches, nothing. From reading other forums, it seems like it's a common problem. It could be that your muscles are swelling a bit. You probably are retaining more water because you are lifting. And it could be diet related. Most people that experience this say that they see no change for the first month or so, and then all of the sudden they start losing inches, if not pounds.

Last edited by Sasha29; 05-07-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #4  
maintaining since 9/2013

I like Sasha's comment. Maybe best to wait a little longer before tweaking your carbs.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Just want to offer encouragement to keep up the good work! The changes will happen!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #6  

I love lifting and doing intervals, so I think I am going to wait a little while and see what happens. I could believe there could be some muscle swelling and water retention, because I am sore every time I work out! Unfortunately, the measurements I took are the same, and only one pair of pants I have fits a tiny bit looser. But my husband says I look skinnier and he swears he can put his arms around me further. I think he's just being nice. I have a lot of other benefits that came from my changes, so I am just going to keep it up and hope my body catches up with my dedication sooner or later.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

How many calories are you eating and how much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking?
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #8  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
Just want to offer encouragement to keep up the good work! The changes will happen!
I second this! You are doing great. That weight loss on the scale is so validating that we all like to see those results as soon as possible as a reward for the hard work. Think "delayed gratification", and for now, enjoy the benefits you might already be experiencing, like feeling mentally sharper? better self-esteem and confidence? stronger? etc.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #9  

I am 185 according to one scale and 191 according to the other. My MFP tells me to stay at 1800, but I never even reach 1800. Most days I am 15-1600, and yesterday I had 1400. I just couldn't eat any more food- full. I eat proteins (chicken, steak, tuna, salmon, turkey-lean meats mostly), fat from olive oil and coconut oil to cook and dress salads with, some butter, very little vegetable oil, some legumes, some fruit (less than 2 servings per day, usually a small apple or some berries, sometimes grapefruit), some dairy (milk with protein shake after lifting and 1/2 cup cottage cheese or greek yogurt) and lots of vegetables every day. I usually eat eggs with 1/8th or 1/4 cup steel cut oats for breakfast (with chia and flax-no sugar added, sometimes pumpkin), salmon or some other protein with a carb like 1/2 cup brown rice or quinoa or beans if I am going to exercise heavy for lunch, veggies if not, same kind of thing for dinner omitting carb heavy grains or potatoes, usually just a green salad. I haven't been eating any bread or pasta, save 2 pieces Ezekiel bread(did not agree with me), because I think I am probably addicted to this stuff. I also don't put sauces on my meats or any other foods. I will have the piece(s) of fruit with cottage cheese or yogurt in between as a snack if I am hungry or to make up some calories. I also sometimes add another shake in I didn't get quite enough calories.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #10  
stop wishing, start doing

S/C/G: 215/185/155

Height: 5'7

My fat is persistent too Brandis!!!! I have been exercising for 5 weeks now and I started my healthy eating the first of March. I've lost about 13lbs total, but since I started exercising I've only gone down 2.5 lbs. And that .5 is important to me to add in there yet its not even a whole pound!! haha. I am in school to be a diet tech so I know I have my food down, not perfect by any means, but I know I eat a balanced diet. So what gives???? Who knows! I am currently still waiting to see better results so we can ride that boat together!! But now I am just going to give it the rest of this month before changing things up
Trying to focus on how much better I feel and improving my strength and fitness while I wait to see the scale drop! Keep up the good work, hard work WILL pay off eventually..thats what my boyfriend keeps telling me anyway and I have to agree!
xopeaceandlovexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #11  

I agree. Hard work has to pay off. If I am burning more than I take in over a long period of time, it HAS to come off. It's that simple. Besides that, I just worked out like a BEAST and left the gym completely disgusting and covered in sweat...it was awesome!!!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I like Sasha's comment too. Be patient. The fat is going. You are building muscle and probably just retaining more water. Be Patient. You are doing the right things. Have faith.

Maybe stay off the scale for a while. Because your program is so tight, you know you are doing the right things, enjoy the feeling of building your fitness sand eating good food and stay off the scale. Just trust that its working.

I am sure it is.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #13  
onedayatatimer

My view here may not be popular, but I would aim for 1400-1600 calories and not go to 1800. For me 1800 would be the exception and the other numbers would be the usual amount, especially if you're not hungry. You might try calorie cycling (sorry if anyone has brought that up already). It sounds like you're committed to your goals, which is great. People who lose 1-2 lbs. a week are really the exception and not the rule. Shows like The Biggest Loser give the impression that weight just melts off our bodies but that's not how it is for the majority. Hang in there and you'll reap even more benefits over time.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #14  

I just looked at my MFP account and my calories only went to 1800 one day over the last month(during PMS time, go figure). The rest of the days range anywhere from just over 1000 to 1500, with 1400-1500 being the norm. I made a post about actually wondering if I was eating enough, but I decided I am not worried about it because I am not really hungry unless it's time for a meal. It looks like I am already cycling my calories without trying, because it varies pretty much every day.
I am definitely ok with a slower loss. I really would just like to see something that reflects the effort I am putting in. Especially since this isn't my first rodeo, and I usually lose weight without having to think about it too hard. This long without a loss of any weight is highly unusual for me. Anything. Looser clothes, smaller measurements. I am clinging tight to my fitness gains and improved energy, because that's what I have for right now! I am not giving up!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #15  
onedayatatimer

I really feel for you...it sounds like you're doing everything right. It was just hard to tell with limited info, so thanks for sharing your plan. Also, eating more at time of the month is to be expected because most women experience a drop in seretonin levels around PMS and that increases our cravings for carbs since that's what the body uses to make seretonin. I envy men for not having to deal with this every month! Also, you mentioned that you lost 5 lbs. initially. Those never came back, right? Well, if you initially just lost water, then your body started retaining water from workouts, it's possible that now your body has lost 5 lbs. of fat but it's not noticeable on the scale. I hope this makes sense. Anyway, I really believe you're doing everything you can. I think a lot of people give up on their healthier life styles because they don't see enough change compared to the hard work. Just keep in mind that it took a while to gain the weight and it takes even longer to get it off. Wouldn't it be nice if it were the other way around?