South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #1  

Default Help

As I'm feeling sick and tired of being fat and tired, I decided to make a 1st step and register here for help... I'm a young mother of 3 with a crazy schedule, I've done so many diets but so far I feel like south beach is better since I don't feel like counting points, calories, carbs, pounds, grams... I love sugar and I feel like whenever I start dieting, that's when binging and gaining more then feel bad then eat more...
I'm sure some of you may understand me.... Can someone please send me words of encouragement, tips, plans and anything that you think might help on this journey....

Thanyou soooo much
keza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Be kind to yourself. I have tried too many "diets" to name them all. I too have a hectic schedule and definitely do better not counting points, weighing my food or counting calories. Take small steps I didn't even think about exercising until if was well into phase 2. I relied in sugary foods to keep myself going and carbs to make me feel better..ok chocolate too The first few days on SB can be a challenge. Just remember your body is getting rid of toxins. BELIEVE me you will feel great. Checking in helps!!! We have all shared our ups and downs, questions and triumphs. The recipe sections are great at mixing things up. Truthfully I eat more now then I used to.

Planning is huge for me. I cook one day for the week. I make meals that can be frozen for convenience. My crockpot is a lifesaver. It takes time to prep and prepare, but the results are worth it.

Remember this isn't a sprint so pace yourself. Welcome Keza
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Ditto to Jennifer.

South beach works. But ya gotta do it. I had badness foods on Sunday, and sure enough, I felt like cr@p, my heart was pounding, and I wanted to sleep. You think I'd learn and never do it again, but NooooOOOOoo. We all have bad days, we all have valleys and peaks, and thank goodness we have this forum to help us out. I've not eaten the grains the last couple of days, and I feel so much better again.

The best thing to do is to search for recipes, through old threads for advice, and to check in daily...if nothing else to refocus on your way of eating. (and yes with Jennifer....the first few days are rough....but stick with it! It's worth it!!)
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 5"

I will chime in and say "welcome"! I think the majority of us can identify with your sentiments.

To echo Tammy, check the FAQs and the "prepare yourself to start" thread. Loads of good ideas there.
Beth19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

I agree with what has already been said, planning is key. I always have a stash of south beach friendly meals that I've made and stored in the freezer... that way after a hectic day I dont have to cook, just reheat.

I also like to pre-cut up my veggies (the ones that can be precut without browning)... I keep them in containers in the fridge, and I can throw together a quick salad when meal time comes.

Finally I have on hand reduced fat cheese strings and nuts (which I pre divide into single servings and store in little baggies) for when I need a quick snack ...just dont go back for seconds.

And I stop by this forum almost every night and post what I have eaten through out the day. It helps keep me honest.

Welcome to the beach!
RiverGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome, Keza. Lots of good advice here, but one thing - get the book and read it thoroughly. We have lots of helpful information on the forum, but the book is your reference. There are two of them, and either one will do. And check in here often to stay motivated. Good luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Hi I'm not on south beach but i have the same issues with sugar and i just want to tell you how i manage it.

You may not be ready to take the same approach as me yet but store it away for when you are.

1. I have chosen to quit sweets for ever. That means no refined sugar sweets. Fruit is fine. I eat a lot of fruit. For the first three months i didn't eat dried fruit either and i didn't have any plans to until one day i went shopping and decided some dried figs and dates would be nice. Since then i'm been eaten the occasional one. I would not recommend you bring dried fruits into your diet until you have secured your new sugar free lifestyle habits.

2. I have exception clauses but i don't use them very often and i don't look for chances to use them. They are - i can have sweets if someone outside my home offers them to me, e.g. if i'im at someone else's home. But then only one serve. Most of the time i say no to these things. Most of the things that are offered are not worth risking my new healthy eating pattern.
- if i go to a restaurant with other people, i can have dessert. I haven't been out to a restaurant since i started this diet back in early january and if i was a regular restaurant goer, i might have rethink this rule so that it became dessert no more than once a month or something like that.
- i've got some rules around xmas. they are not fixed yet but i have time to determine. There will be strict limits around what i can eat at xmas.
- when travelling to a foreign country i will be able to try new sweet foods but with restrictions.

Its only by staying away from sweet foods most of the time that i can keep myself happy with healthy foods. I get plenty of sweetness from fresh and stewed fruit and now the occasional bit of dried fruit. I have found you adapt pretty fast to a no sugar situation when there's none around.

If you get a craving, its probably because something is out of balance with your hormones or you are a bit stressed or tired or in a low mood. So i try to deal with those situations and minimise them and know a craving for what it is. I don't need sugar under any circumstances. It ruins my life for months and years on end. I am much better of with out it. So i resist cravings. I eat something healthy instead and sometimes have a glass of wine if its at the right time of day. But i have to say i haven't experienced more than one craving for food in general, not even sweets, on this journey so far. I expect as i get down to a very low weight, i might experience it more so i'm taking it slowly to give my body more time to adjust to changed conditions.

That said, i also put a pinch of sugar on my cornflakes sometimes and of course i use a pinch of sugar in tomato based sauces. The thing is when i do that, the food is not very sweet so i can't get a taste for it.

Of course i stopped having sugar in my coffee and tea eons ago. I've quit sugar in my tea and coffee twice in my life and both times its easy once you make the decision. You adapt very quickly.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: maintaining

I agree - planning is key. Meals, food for snacks, leftovers... I try to always have a portion of nuts or veggies if I am going to be away from home and might either get hungry or arrive home ravenous. And I try to bring a water bottle in the car as well.

I also love the "no counting" about SBD. But I have found that I can still overeat healthy foods and that some foods, even on plan, are triggers for me. I find I have to make a conscious effort every day. It took me many years of yo-yo dieting, even with this plan, to learn some of the things I've had to learn about my eating.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 315/289/150

Height: 5'2"

I am a sugar addict as well. The South Beach diet has been wonderful for me, after the first few days of "sugar detox" were over, I have felt great and the cravings have almost completely disappeared. I've been 5 weeks without sweets aside from a little bit of fruit, this is something I thought I would never achieve. On the few occasions that I have a sweet craving, I make my husband & I 2 ingredient "ice cream" which is frozen bananas & natural peanut butter whipped in a blender to soft-serve ice cream consistency. So satisfying & you would swear it was really ice cream. Good luck on your journey!!
Mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #10  
Macros!!

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'0"

Welcome!

Don't freak out if you slip up once in a while. Just get right back to the diet after you splurge. It's ok and everyone definitely does it. I did it yesterday! (Darned cupcakes!)
ArmyAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #11  

Thank youuu
keza77 is offline   Reply With Quote