UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 02:58 PM   #1  

Default Anyone in the Swansea Area?

Hi. I am pretty new to this website. I am American, lived in the UK for a year and a half previously, and am getting married and moving back to Swansea. I want to lose at least 25 lbs. I would love to have a friend/diet buddy in my area for mutual support, and maybe as an exercise buddy? If nobody is in my area, I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone else in the UK about some of their diet and exercise strategies. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:49 AM   #2  
Theres no stopping me now

Hi there, I'm not in Swansea but I had a wonderful holiday in Mumbles way back in 1982, it was my first holiday with a friend without our parents and we were only allowed to go there as we could stay with my friends auntie. It was brillant.

I'm doing WW to lose weight but my exercise strategy changes regulary. When the mornings were dark, I used to get up and do aerobics tapes, then I started walking when the lighter mornings came in. At the moment though I am struggling to get out of bed early and am just walking at lunchtimes.

I have brought a new bike and am going to start a plan when I return from holiday in about 10 days, using the bike and my areobics tapes and the walking.

I love to swim too, I swim a couple of times a week, with the kids, so it's not a strenous work out more of a splash around. My local pool doesn't open in the early mornings for serious swimmers to get in a before work workout.

My motto at the moment is that if it burns more cals than sitting on my butt watching the telly then it's doing me some good. But I need to focus more.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:58 PM   #3  

Thanks for responding. Yes, I have been to Mumbles quite a few times and love it over there. If you don't mind my asking, how is your diet/exercise plan going? Have you lost weight or inches yet? What are your weight loss/fitness goals? How many calories a day do you eat?
Old 07-21-2003, 10:23 PM   #4  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Hhi US Lady,
I'm not in Swansea, actually, I'm in NJ, as I see you currently are as well. I am British though and living over here. I'm sure you'll find loads of info from this site and we are a goold old bunch of girlies who help each other through thick and thin, so feel welcome to jump in anywhere around.
By the way, just being nosy, when are you getting married, we do like a wedding, don't we girls
Old 07-22-2003, 01:05 AM   #5  

Hi Chris. Well, we are going to have a very small, informal wedding in the Mumbles area. We cannot set an actual date until I am in the country, but it will most likely be in October (my favorite month). I would like to lose at least a few pounds and inches by that time. So what diet strategy have you used?

Last edited by USLadyInWales; 07-23-2003 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:37 AM   #6  

Hi, have lost 27lbs on weight watchers, was 29.5 until I went away for a a week. and I've dropped 2 dress sizes. Not sure how many calories I eat a day as weight watchers is all point orientated. When I did count calories I stuck to 1500 a day, seems a lot looking back now
Old 07-23-2003, 01:55 AM   #7  

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. By the way, in what part of Scotland do you live? I have never been there but my fiance and I are hoping to go there for a vacation next summer. I hear it doesn't get too hot there in the summers which is great for me. In fact, I appreciate the milder summers in the UK in general. I don't like the heat and am not comfortable in revealing clothing due to my weight (for one thing). Let's just say the bathing suit is not my friend.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:27 AM   #8  

I'm halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh, nice and central for everything.

We don't get great summers but we do have midges!!!!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:44 PM   #9  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Hi again USLady, I think I read somewhere that your name is Anne? Sorry if I have it wrong, mind is a bit fuddled this week.
I follow WW points, and am pleased to say that it does seem to be working for me. I also go to Curves, have you heard of it, big franchise over here and in the UK now as well. I have seen a big difference in the inches since starting back in April and my BMI too and I absolutely love going, it's the perfect workout for me and fits nicely in with my day.
I also walk regulaly with my two dogs every evening and I'm sure that's helping.
Oh yes, before I forget, I am in Burlington County...can't remember what one you said you were in now, but seeing as NJ isn't that big a state, I'm sure we must be within a few hours of each other....
Have a great day and your wedding plans for October sound lovely. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:49 PM   #10  

Wow, I have heard of Curves but didn't know they had them in the UK too. I will have to look into that when I get there. I think I may have lost a pound or two over the last couple of weeks but I am always afraid to weigh myself because I don't want to be discouraged if the numbers don't change. Because I am doing some muscle training, I may lose more inches than pounds (since muscle weighs more than fat). I try to go more by how my clothing fits, how I look and how I feel, but I would also like to get the actual weight down too. By the way, thanks for the kind wishes.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:24 AM   #11  

Sut mae Ann! Sut dych chi? Ellen dw i. Dw i'n eitha da. Dych ch i'n siarad Cymraeg? Dw i'n byw yn Atlanta.

Good morning Anne! My name is Ellen. I live in Atlanta, and wanted to know if you spoke Welsh. I LOVE Wales! I'm an American, but belong to the local Welsh society, and have Welsh ancestors from way back. I would love to move to Wales! I'm envious of you! *smiles*

How exciting, you are getting married soon! I just wanted to say hi and congratulations!

Ellen
Old 08-13-2003, 03:19 PM   #12  
on my way down!

Hi Ann...i dont livein wales but am from the UK Im following slimming world at the moment and am having some success with it

Take care x
Old 08-13-2003, 10:40 PM   #13  

Thanks for your responses. Ellen, I don't speak Welsh at ll, my fiance is Welsh (born and raised), he doesn't speak any Welsh either. It doesn't seem to be commonly spoken there, though most of the street signs and town names are in Welsh which makes pronunciation next to impossible. Tory, I am not familiar with Slimming World. Is that a more popular British diet plan? I am now trying a Sugar Busters type diet, based on the Glycemic Index of food. I do seem to have an insulin problem and maybe this will be the diet for me. Nothing else seems to be working for me. I am doing aerobics or muscle toning exercises almost daily. Have not lost a pound yet but think I may have lost an inch or two somewhere. Just feel a bit smaller but haven't taken measuements.
Closed Thread