Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Atkins Flu

I've heard a lot about this, never put much thought into it. Did Atkins before with no issues what so ever.

This time around - wow yesterday I was like this: today:

Headache, dizzy, and literally falling asleep at my computer!

But yesterday, I only had 15.6 carbs and 944 calories. Not good I know. Plus I was reading online about the salt and trying to drink chicken broth. So to get me out of the funk I ate some deli ham and 1 oz cheddar cheese and drank a cup of broth.

I'm feeling a lot better, still massive headache and a bit dizzy, but don't feel so tired.

Going forward I will not, let my carbs go that low again - I did the same thing on Sunday, ended up out and bout when I had planned to be - stopped at Bojangles and got some Buffalo Bites - non breaded chicken in a spicy sauce, 4 carbs. And had 14.9 carbs and 1009 calories.

I had not planned either of these days to be that low on carbs, but work and other commitments pulled me away and didn't get to grab something like I had planned.

So lesson learned for me, I need to prep snacks and things to eat a lot more so it's there at a moments notice. I did cut up a ton of broccoli last night so I can have as a quick snack today.
Ali06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Headache, dizziness, extreme fatigue....definitely sounds like Atkins flu. The chicken broth & getting more carbs for the day will greatly help

Getting the majority of your carbs from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list is important. 12-15 of your carbs for the day should be coming from those sources.

Planning your meals & snacks is critical for keeping yourself on plan. As the saying goes, "failing to plan is planning to fail".

You CAN do this!

All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Jersey!!

And yes, definitley know i need to get those carbs from veggies! Today has been much better - the cheese and ham was the only thing I could get my hands on before a meeting.

The broth really did help me feel human again this morning, and some motrin for the headache - ate much better today.

Today: 20.6 total carbs with 15.3 from veggies

And I'm not quite on the energy high I was yesterday, but definitley feeling much better.

It's crunch week at work, so once I get through tomorrow I'll have more time and can really prep like I should.

This was probably not the best week to start Atkins, but I always find an excuse not to start so I decided regardless I was starting lol
Ali06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I think extra salt is really helpful on low carb, in particular in the early days (but even later on, I'm now almost 8 months in and sometimes if I'm feeling blah that's what I do).
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote