Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default Which one is right?

To begin, let me say that I just find this amusing, and it doesn't really matter because I know I am losing some fat... (And my diet is way more nutritious and my hunger is under control, too).

So yesterday I got on the scale. I know I said I was going to only weigh once a week, but apparently I am no good at that, so every day it is. I weigh mostly out of curiosity. I lift weights and vary my carbohydrates, so my weight fluctuates a lot. I like to see the changes.

However, the digital scale has been particularly mean since I started. So I got out my regular scale. Why do I own two scales, you ask? I don't really know. But the other scale was a good 5-6 pounds less than the first.

So I got a five pound weight and put it on both scales. Both scales said five pounds. Huh? Which one is right?

Like I said, it doesn't really matter, because it doesn't upset me. I am on track and I already am making gains in my fitness. My clothes are a little looser. I also have changed my sugar cravings and have made great improvements in my diet. I sleep so much better. My energy levels have gone up. My mood has improved. I feel in control of my food choices, which for someone convinced of their own food addiction is an enormous feeling!

So overall, yay for me. But what is wrong with these scales? They need to get it together! I thought this might entertain some of you, because I know the battle with this simple tool is a constant source of celebration, frustration, confusion, motivation, or defeat.

Don't let the scale defeat you. It is just a dumb piece of equipment that can't manage to weigh a dumbbell correctly. It doesn't define you. Keep going! Look at all the great things you have done for yourself already, not the number on this dumb piece of machinery. That number doesn't show the mindset you have. It doesn't show that you threw away cookies or turned down a huge soda for a glass of water. It doesn't show that you can now tie your shoes or paint your toes. Maybe you can now wear a real seatbelt.

Celebrate all of your non-scale victories, guys and gals! And don't always listen to the mean little thing in the bathroom. It doesn't represent the years you are adding to your life by tackling healthy living!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #2  
It's more UP than Down!

S/C/G: 138 / 102 / 65 kg

Height: 169cm

I'd try a third weight (at a gym or doctor's room) and see which one matches. Hopefully you don't get a third number!!
Sydney_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

Sydney 2009-I thought about that. I should have weighed myself at the gym today, but I forgot. I was working too hard!!! Yay sweat and weak muscles!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I think you have to stand in the right spot on the scale. I have a digital scale. The numbers are different depending on where i stand. I think you could draw some feet pads in the "right" position on both and stand there. or

to test that, put two weights on each scale and when the measurements are the same, draw around those and stand there.

Worth a try perhaps. Also the floor needs to be flat. my bathroom floor is pretty wonky.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 212/148/130

My bathroom floor is wonky too and I can do a little dance on the scale and move it around 7lbs, but usually that goes in the out of favor range.

Haha I love that you tested the scales with the 5 pounders!

Here's to never getting the same number twice! :P
bravome is offline   Reply With Quote