General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #1  

Default Mommy guilt, WWYD?

Our heat broke two nights ago. Last night got down to high 30s, but it looks like tonight will just get down to about 40 degrees. Yesterday wasn't bad, but since it got so cold last night that the house never really warmed up today.

So everyone is cold Its not bad, but the kids were saying they were cold and wanted me to put the heat on. We did go out today to a heated store.

Anyway they are supposed to have soccer in the AM, and it looks like it'll be about 50 degrees. But we are at the fields for 4 hours between both games and the break between. But I honestly don't feel like coming from a cold house to the cold fields then back to the cold house. It sounds silly but there's no where to "warm up" after the morning out in the cold. Its me, a 6 & 3 y/o and the baby.

I thought about tell the kids the games are canceled and taking them out to breakfast then maybe ToysRus, or the mall...something fun and in doors and warm....They are young enough that they wouldn't know, they don't talk to anyone else on soccer and honestly, they aren't in love with it. They don't seem to care if they miss soccer, (which we are thinking, why are we doing this every season??)

So what would you do? I feel a little guilty lying to them!

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 04-18-2014 at 09:17 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't feel guilty lying when you have their best interests at heart. I would do my best to keep them warm. Maybe see if someone has a space heater you can borrow for a few days to keep at least one room warm?
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:50 AM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I just tell my kids we're switching it up for the day and that's that. Sometimes we have to get off plan for good reasons, and they don't need to know what those reasons are, nor do they normally care
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If they don't care whether they miss, why bother lying? Staying warm isn't the worst reason in the world to change plans, and as Arctic Mama pointed out, the kids don't need to know your reasons unless you want them to know.

Really though, this seems like a reason you can share with the kids if you want to. Doing something warm when the house has no heat doesn't sound like a reason that has to be kept from the kids.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-20-2014 at 12:20 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #5  

Hi all! We woke up in a freezing house! We ended up going out to breakfast, actually ran into a friend there, so the kids played while mom and I talked, then shopping for them, including new shoes and some toys (lucky kids!). Then to the grocery store which has an indoor plan area, and by then it was lunch and DH (who had worked the night so he slept till then) took them to lunch and some stores. I was at home at this point. He bought them some new stuff too. They didn't even care about soccer. I did tell them it was canceled, and they were like 'whatever'...and never asked about it the rest of the day. I probably didn't have to lie, but its done. They had a great day....

Two more nights without heat..
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote