Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/132/120

Height: 5'9

Default Why do we measure at the narrowest part of the torso?

Why do they always measure the "waist" at the narrowest part of the torso?
It feels like this was a system designed by pear-types to confuse apple-types. Even now, there is a 6 inch difference between my "waist" and the bellybutton area. I am 30in at my waist and 36in at my bellybutton. Which should count in the waist-to-hips ratio? I feel like they assume everyone is pear-shaped with this method because how could the excess fat in your lower stomach not count as a problem?

What's the ideal measurements of the bellybutton area and the waist area? Maybe it should be a 1-2 inch difference between the two rather than a 6 inch difference?

My hips are 38.5 inches.

Anyone with a perfect body, and especially if you were apple-shape when you were fat, I'd love to have your measurements of the waist and bellybutton compared.
Arwen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/145/119 keto

Height: 5ft2in

I'm a pear shape and i still have potbelly! Waist about 27inches and belly 37in, partly because i'm short my belly button is in line with my bloody hips, its not just apples!! But you raise a good point, i always thought belly fat was more important!
Sheena82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

We measure eat here because it is the easiest spot to consistently find as a base point on your individual body. Widest point, too, is the same. Belly button. Parallel to the floor around the underbust and points of the breasts while in a bra. Etc etc.

Measure differently if you want. It's not like there's a rule and penalties for breaking it. Unless you're sewing your own clothes you really only need to pick the metrics you want to keep track and and then just be consistent on them over time. Simple
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

And you really can't ask for an ideal. We are all different, even at the exact same shape, weight, and height. My belly isn't going to be the same as someone who hadn't had abdominal surgery or babies. My bust has fullness in a different spot than another woman with the exact same cup size. Get ideal out of your head and focus on maximizing your own health. If you have significantly shrunk your body wth weight loss and are focusing on strength, energy, and overall well being, what does the ideal waist ratio matter? You have, statistically and in real terms, greatly improved your metabolic health. That has to be enough at some point
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

what are you taking the measurement for? just curiosity or trying to judge a proper proportion?

When I take measurements to track my progress I measure at the smallest part of my waist, at my belly button, and my hips. Because in general those stay in the same place, so that is why.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #6  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

We measure at the narrowest part because its the easiest to find consistently. Most woman also measure at the belly button because its a set point that is also easy to find.

I measure everything. I take 11 different measurements monthly. I'm 5'5", 178 lb. and pear shaped.

Underbust: 35
Waist: 34.5
Navel: 40
Hips: 45

I suppose I'm a very traditional pear.

Last edited by Psychic; 04-16-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Its really not about pear-shapes at all. Its about dress making and standardisation.

We all know how to find the waist and the measurement is easier to do accurately if don't at the natural waist than at the belly button.

But for what its worth, i'm a pear shape figure when i put on weight at a certain point my belly gets fat too.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #8  

yeah I've been measuring waist, bellybutton, and hips throughout my weight loss since that's where the numbers change over time. Sometimes my bellybutton area shrinks while my waist stays the same, but not always.
I was wondering what the typical ratio between bellybutton measurement and waist measurement might be on someone perfectly thin.

I'm just frustrated at the moment because my weight hasn't budged for awhile and I'm trying to be patient. But whenever I look in the mirror it's like, "why? why, you damn stomach roll? When will you go away? When will my stupid stomach finally flatten out?"
My stomach is the only thing that keeps me from looking good in clothes because I can't wear anything that clings to the midriff, which means I have to wear baggier stuff to hide my torso. Or empire waist which makes it absolutely obvious I'm trying to hide something. I'm not a petite girl. I have broad shoulders. So if I wear something large, it makes me look larger than I really am.
My mother is about in the same place weight-wise, but she's a pear. AKA you can't tell she's carrying about 10 extra pounds because it's stealthy hidden in her thighs/butt while her waist is beautifully slim and trim. I don't really care if my butt is smaller than hers, but I dream of the day my waist looks slim. Slim waists are so sexy.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, at 5'9" and 154, I'd doubt you are overweight or have much to lose. Might some of those flaws you see be loose skin? Do you exercise? Maybe exercise will firm you up so you feel happier with what you see in the mirror?

For me I will never, ever have a flat stomach. No female on my mom,s side has ever, ever had a flat stomach. Its our trouble area, but our builds just don't allow it no matter how fit or trim we are. So, we have to accept it that we won't have that totally flat look. Just like you might never have a totally perfect body either.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 04-16-2014 at 09:31 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Arwen is it really worth worrying so much about an slight imperfection. I am sure you look great in clothes. I love empire line clothes and because everyone is wearing them, no one thinks of they are hiding something, or at least i am sure not most people.

The issue you are having with your waist, i spent too much of my life worrying about with my backside and thighs.
We all need to discover acceptance with our bodies and all other flaws we have. Some of it is genetic. You can only emphasise your good points to take the emphasis away from your flaws.

Suffering over imperfections is not going to make you are happier person. Its just unnecessary suffering.

Besides the shape of our bodies when we are at a healthy weight is really not something we should concern ourselves with at all put into perspective of all the other difficulties we have to contend with in life.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

The waist to hip ratio is supposed to be a certain target for health purposes and in that instance, you measure your actual waist at the narrowest part. You also need that measurement to buy pants and skirts, unless your hips and butt are way out of proportion. When I was thin I had a great figure. As I gained weight, nothing went to my hips or butt. It all went to my upper body, mostly at my waist. For health purposes, this is the most dangerous place to carry weight. I have a terrible time buying clothes because my waist is actually bigger than my hips...but I'm working on that!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
The waist to hip ratio is supposed to be a certain target for health purposes and in that instance, you measure your actual waist at the narrowest part. You also need that measurement to buy pants and skirts, unless your hips and butt are way out of proportion. When I was thin I had a great figure. As I gained weight, nothing went to my hips or butt. It all went to my upper body, mostly at my waist. For health purposes, this is the most dangerous place to carry weight. I have a terrible time buying clothes because my waist is actually bigger than my hips...but I'm working on that!
Absolutely this! I've even discovered another problem now that I'm lighter. When I try on low-rise jeans that fit my butt and hips without my stomach getting in the way, it's too tight on the calves! If it fits my calves, then it's baggy in the hips and butt again. I'm so straight up and down it isn't funny. Most girls are curvier I guess or they wouldn't design the jeans that way.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

Height: 5'5"

I am like that - my belly button area and hips are the same, and my smallest part is 32" Or 8" less. Some people tell me to use the belly button, others say the smallest part.

If I truly considered my waist to be 40", my pants would all be around my feet
buddha belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I think the "normal" shape for women is having the waist smaller and the hips and thighs bigger, even though most women hate that. Other than the pants in the junior department that are made for the young girls who have not yet blossomed, pants are made for a curvy figure. I wish the clothing companies would consider other figures. One size does NOT fit all! I find that the pants in the plus size departments are all for bigger lower bodies.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #15  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I have NO waist....try measuring that. Seriously - above the belly button, at the belly button, hips....it's pretty much all the same measurement.

I find it almost impossible to find skirts to fit because skirt designers assume women have a waist so skirts are shaped like a triangle /\. I'm shaped like this | | so if the waistband fits everything else is ginormous. The best fit in pants for me are low-rise junior sizes. I feel like such a freak of nature.

Last edited by Novus; 05-09-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote