View Poll Results: Who on this list do you think is completely hot? Pick as many as you want!
Brad PItt 9 47.37%
Harrison Ford 2 10.53%
James Gandolfini 0 0%
Will Smith 0 0%
George W. Bush 1 5.26%
Jim Carey 0 0%
Matt Lauer 0 0%
Sean Connery 1 5.26%
Ben Stiller 1 5.26%
Ty from Trading Spaces 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 08:10 AM   #1  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Lightbulb Thursday's Thread and Fun Poll!

I loved how active the thread was yesterday!!! It's Thursday, and I thought I'd start today off with a fun little poll and generate some discussion. It's not weight loss related, but our minds need a break, right?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:18 AM   #2  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Ok, Jayne, what a competely ******ed list of people. I sat here and sat here and couldn't think of anyone. And then what do I do? I click on the one who isn't my first choice. Well, I thought I had set it up so that you could choose multiple names. But apparently I didn't. Sometimes I worry about myself...

So anyway, the winner for me off this list has to be Ty from Trading Spaces. Honey, you can come build me furniture anytime! In fact, I think that is what attracts me to him so...his home-remodeling capabilities! Harrison Ford is a VERY close second. In fact, he most likely would have won our for me, except he had to go move in with juvenile and skeletal Callista Flockhart...I lost a lot of respect for him with that move.

BBIAB to see who knocks everyone else's socks off!

Last edited by aaronsmom; 07-17-2003 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:37 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Morning Jayne
I actually got to sleep at a semi respectable hour lst night so I'm up with the sunshine and about to make ham and eggs for gram
(sometimes I love Atkins)
Last night I really wanted to emotionally eat (gram and I were both having bad days yesterday and they collided) and My sis brought over her toffee cherry and choc chip cookies which i stared at for a good long while and had a smallllll peice of
(sometimes I don't love Atkins)
Bf and I went parking last night. . .before you get all crazy we took his 64 caddy to some fireworks and ended up watching them from an industrial park it was v. nice
As for the Hunkage
I chose Ben Stiller he's hot 1/2 irish1/2 jewish and he makes me laugh
but my real Choice and Laura knows this all too well
JOHN CUSACK
damn I could lick him hes the sensitive hunk
I love his Kickboxing arse in Say anything Sigh!
Ok I'm going to wipe the drool off of the puter screen and get my arse in gear
Old 07-17-2003, 08:38 AM   #4  

OK, confession time....I just ate McDonalds breakfast!! I drank a little too much last night, and all the grease and salt usually help me bounce back the next day. However, I've basically been on a "raw food" diet the last couple weeks, so it's quite a shock to the system. I can't tell if my body is loving or hating me right now. I'm going to try to not feel guilty about it though and figure this has probably prevented a worse binge that would have come up. My food is planned out for the rest of the day, salad with grilled chicken for lunch, strawberries and watermelon for snacks, and this broccoli salad for dinner. I'd be totally fine calories-wise with the McDonalds if I weren't going out again tonight. I have a kickball game though, so it's basically mandatory! I haven't been to bed before midnight this week, ugh. I swear I go out more during the week then on the weekends, go figure. I can tell I'm getting older because 6 hours of sleep just doesn't cut if for me anymore.

I chose Brad Pitt, but it was close between him and Ty. I'd take either!

Ok, I need lots of posting to get me through this day, so come out and play!
Old 07-17-2003, 09:54 AM   #5  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Good morning Jayne, Lexxy and Kieri! My vote was Ty! DH swears that it is the only reason I watch the show I figure there are some girls on there that he can watch. Genevieve (sp?) is beautiful. So all is fair!

Last night I did a bit of emotional eating. After bragging about DH and his wonderfulness yesterday. I went home to his bad mood and since I was annoyed with his mood I picked a fight and it basically evolved from there. We got over it though by the evening and mmmm making up is so worth the fight I haven't been tracking points again so my goal is to start doing that. Needless to say I don't know if I went over.

Yesterdays discussions were fun and boy do we all have differing opinions. I think it is hysterical.

Lexxy- YOu are not old, I feel old when you post b/c it makes me tired Little sleep, lots of partying

Kieri- Parking Glad you had fun!

Jayne~ Boy did you stir the pot yesterday. Thanks it was so entertaining.

Ok big question that is driving me nuts. Is there such thing as too much water??? I was looking for this info yesterday b/c this girl was giving weight loss tips online and she said drink your weight of water in ounces!! I would have to drink 195 oz. I think that is insane. What do you guys think? How much do you drink? I went to webmd and they contradict themselves a lot but basically said that 8-12 glasses is good. I read a while ago in a magazine about drinking a couple of gallons a day and how it makes you lose wt. What are your thoughts ladies? Thanks a lot.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:55 AM   #6  
Cockeyed Optimist

Jayne - You have good taste in men!!! I picked Ty too but it was a tough decision cause Harrison is hot! Although, as Kierie mentioned.......John Cusak...........YUM-ME!!!! Oddly enough, CB has actually met John Cusak.....my boyfriend had a conversation with my fantasy man. How strange.

Kierie - sorry about the rough day yesterday. Hope today is better. The fireworks sound like fun. I love fireworks but haven't seen any yet this year.

Lexxy - McD's is the ultimate hangover cure. Have fun at kickball tonight!

Well, last night was my girl's night. I had so much fun! We talked and laughed and then laughed some more. I ate way too much - snacky foods are a bad idea! And I was so tired that I couldn't resist the mattress magnets this morning so I haven't done a work-out. I think I feel worse skipping it than I would have skipping the extra zzz's.

Need to work. BBL.

Laura
Old 07-17-2003, 09:59 AM   #7  
Cockeyed Optimist

Becky - the water thing is tricky isn't it? I've heard 8-12 8oz glasses. I've heard an ounce for every pound you weigh. I've heard 8 8oz glasses and then an additional 8oz glass for every 25 lbs you are overweight...... I personally try to drink 96oz or more a day - straight H20 - I don't count crystal light or diet coke or anything.

Hmmm....I'm not much help.

Laura
Old 07-17-2003, 10:06 AM   #8  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Ok, this is what I got from the WW site a few years ago in an article, and I think it should still be correct. Take your weight, and put it in oz (I'd be 177 oz). Dink half of that each day (that would put me at drinking approx. 85 oz of water each day).

There is such a thing as drinking too much water. Remember about a year ago, when that little girl was going through some really questionable therapy in California (where else?) and they were forcing her to drink water each time she misbehaved? She got water poisoning and died, and her parents were charged with child abuse. Her therapist lost her license as well. So don't just chug like nuts. Although it would probably take a ton of water to poison us, it can happen so just be careful.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:08 AM   #9  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Ok, I just HAVE to know...who picked Dubbya as their sexy man??? And I thought that I w as such a loyal Republican.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:24 AM   #10  
Cockeyed Optimist

It wasn't me but he is sorta cute!

Laura
Old 07-17-2003, 10:28 AM   #11  
You're a smoothie.

Angry

Morning ladies!

YES...whoever it was that pickt GWB as their sexy man MUST fess up!

Personally I picked Brad but with the stipulation that he must cut that damn long hair. I don't like it.

Anyway last night I had a meeting and my boss brought two huge containers of animal crackers and chocolate graham twists. Well i had a big handful of the twists and then i felt horrible! i don't know why..i mean, i did go over 1 point but i worked out yesterday so it wasn't anything to worry about. but it really got to me that i wasn't perfectly OP. does that happen to you ladies?

last night my BF and i had a conversation about the stripper issue because i had been thinking about it all day! it was pretty interesting. he said he wasn't turned on by those "nasty" women (his words) and would have no problem telling his friends that he didn't want that at his bachelor party. aww...i knew there was a reason i loved him!

Jayne - great poll. unfortunately i don't have cable because i still live in university housing so i can't watch trading spaces. but i feel like i am missing out on something good with this Ty guy!

Kierie - LOVE john cusak. doesn't he just seem like such a wholesome guy? i loved american sweethearts. i'm sorry you had a bummer of a day yesterday...hope today is happier!

Lexxy - McDonalds is a big weakness of mine so i feel your pain! luckily you probably didn't ruin the day with just breakfast and it is great you have a plan for the rest of the day!

Becky - there is a thing as too much water, as Jayne said. i learned about it in my physiology course. but you would really have to drink A LOT to experience adverse side effects. Jayne's suggestion was good. i try to drink at least 12 cups a day but usually end up downing almost a gallon per day because water is pretty much the only thing i drink! that is all fine and good...except if i can't get to a bathroom...

ok...i'm writing a book here today!

Last edited by rasta2002; 07-17-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:31 AM   #12  

Jayne, I was just going to ask that too!! Dubbya-lover, fess up out there!

I've also heard the tip about drinking half your weight in oz of water. There's a website that has you put in your weight and will tell you how much water you need a day, but for the life of me I can't think of it. I've read a little about drinking too much water, but I think it was mostly in relation to long distance runners that over-hydrated before races and then got really sick. I'm sure there's some more "scientific" info out there, I'll look around later on for a break. I can't imagine drinking multiple gallons of water a day though, I don't think I could do it. I have a hard enough time getting in my 64oz sometimes!! BTW, what other tips has this girl given you? I'm slightly suspicious

Laura, you are so good about your workouts, don't even feel guilty. What did you end up making last night?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:34 AM   #13  

Hi Emily, we were posting at the same time!

Ok, this was my first find, but like I said, most of what I've encountered has to do with athletes.

Patrick J. Bird, Ph.D.
Keeping Fit
Column 725

Q. I am a runner and would like to know whether it is possible to drink too much water?

A. Yes, there is a condition known as "water intoxication." It is usually associated with long distance events like running and cycling. And it’s not an unusual problem. For example, water intoxication was reported in 18% of marathon runners and in 29% of the finishers in a Hawaiian Ironman Triathlon in studies published recently in the Annals of Internal Medicine and in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise respectively.

What happens is that as the athlete consumes large amounts of water over the course of the event, blood plasma (the liquid part of blood) increases. As this takes place, the salt content of the blood is diluted. At the same time, the athlete is losing salt by sweating. Consequently, the amount of salt available to the body tissues decreases over time to a point where the loss interferes with brain, heart, and muscle function.

The official name for this condition is hyponatremia. The symptoms generally mirror those of dehydration (apathy, confusion, nausea, and fatigue), although some individuals show no symptoms at all. If untreated, hyponatremia can lead to coma and even death.

Enough, but not too much. The fluid requirement for the majority of endurance athletes, under most conditions, is about 8 to 16 ounces per hour. There is considerable variation here, of course, due to individual sweating rates, body size and weight, heat and humidity, and running speed, and other factors. Still, much more than this amount of fluid is, in most instances, probably physiologically excessive as well as uncomfortable, as liquid sloshes around in the gut during the activity.

One way to test if you are drinking too much water is to compare your body weight before and after a long run. Normally, people lose weight during the course of a distance event. But over-hydrated individuals typically either gain weight or maintain their starting weight. It is interesting to note, too, that this problem tends to be more of a concern with slower runners, because they are exercising at a lower intensity, and therefore have a lower fluid requirement. Also, the slower runner has more opportunity to consume fluid.

End Note: Water intoxication is a problem not only among athletes. For instance, it has become one of the most common causes of serious heat illness in the Grand Canyon. Some people hiking the canyon drink large amounts of water and do not eat enough food to provide for electrolyte (salt, potassium) replacement and energy. Fears of dehydration has led to a mistaken belief that the safe thing to do is to drink as much and as often as possible. But even with drinking water, there can be too much of a good thing.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:26 AM   #14  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Hmm, the mystery continues? Thanks for all of the info about water. I am currently up to 96 oz but was considering more. Maybe I will do the 1/2 my body weight thing. Sounds like a good compromise. Lexxy I read about that too thanks for posting your article.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:32 AM   #15  
Canadian Chick

Morning slim sexy divas!
I'm off to work shortly. Dh & I went for a nice long walk last night. I tell you it is so much easier to stay motivated when soemone else is doing the program at home with you. Although we had a conversation that made me a little frustrated but I;m over it. He said he finds this program so easy & that he's having trouble eating his minimum! I was like what? How is it easy-obviously you love food or else you wouldn't be 60lbs overweight. He said that the only reason he's overweight is b/c he eats when he's bored & he never used to like exercising but now that he's been doing it for a week he loves it! A little frustrating how he finds it so easy & there are so many days when I struggle. Argh-men!

Jayne. love the poll! I'm with ya on Ty! Whoa baby! Although I think Andew on While You Were Out is damn hot too! Have you seen the new carpenter on Trading Spaces Family-Carter? He's not too bad at all. What's with all the hot carpenters?

Lexxy, On those rare days when you need McD's breaky I just think to myself-Everything In Moderation. A girl has to have some fun sometimes.

Laura, how did you're cb meet John Cusack? I love his sister Joan. She's hilarious!

Emily doin't you hate Brad's long hair & scruffy beard? Sometimes I think he tries to uglify himself. I have a really hot friend who does that b/c he gets tired of all the attention. (Poor baby-right!)

Kier, your evening sounds like fun! Us old married couples never do that kind of stuff any more

Becky, Get back counting girl! You'll never make progress otherwise! Glad you & dh got to make up

The water thing is interesting. I usually drink 2-3 litres a day. I'm not sure what that is in ounces.

Anyway gotta run! Have a great day!
Closed Thread