Old 03-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/172/148

Height: 5'6

Default Restart again?

I have had great success losing the weight with IP in past. I did it in 2012 and lost 50 lbs in 4.5 months. I kept off most of year but gained about 17 back towards holidays. I restarted at new year in 2013 and lost it all again. I struggle with maintaining. And I am back up again. Except with 27 lbs back. It came back even with calorie counting (under 1200 cals a day). I know my metabolism is not strong, but I feel like my body is more susceptible to weight gain than ever. I live a low carb lifestyle overall and by no means am pigging out.

I am frustrated with this weight gain and really down on myself once again for letting these pounds come back. I even started running 3-4 miles 4 times a week to curb the gaining and that is working but I can't lose.

Here's the question- should I go back on it once again? and after weight loss implement increased exercise to avoid the gain back once I return to a semi- normal diet? I wonder if this diet has really affected my metabolism and if I can ever recover it?

Feeling discouraged!
twolabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 193/173/150

Height: 5'4"

Well give yourself a pat on the back for being aware of your body and deciding to take action! When you have "finished" the diet in the past did you phase off or just go back to eating like you did before ip? I know the first time I did it that's what I did and after a year had put it all back on. This time I am going to do it right and phase off, not just go through phase one and resume my practically only carb style of eating! You can do it!!!
vtcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolabs View Post
I have had great success losing the weight with IP in past. I did it in 2012 and lost 50 lbs in 4.5 months. I kept off most of year but gained about 17 back towards holidays. I restarted at new year in 2013 and lost it all again. I struggle with maintaining. And I am back up again. Except with 27 lbs back. It came back even with calorie counting (under 1200 cals a day). I know my metabolism is not strong, but I feel like my body is more susceptible to weight gain than ever. I live a low carb lifestyle overall and by no means am pigging out.

I am frustrated with this weight gain and really down on myself once again for letting these pounds come back. I even started running 3-4 miles 4 times a week to curb the gaining and that is working but I can't lose.

Here's the question- should I go back on it once again? and after weight loss implement increased exercise to avoid the gain back once I return to a semi- normal diet? I wonder if this diet has really affected my metabolism and if I can ever recover it?

Feeling discouraged!
If it were me I wouldn't do IP again. I'm not sure how low carbing affects your metabolism, but I would imagine it does. It seems you find maintenance difficult on IP, so I would suggest you try a different plan altogether. Perhaps one that allows you to eat the foods you love, in small portions while exericising. I lost and successfully kept off 35 lbs on Weight Watchers, my sister in law lost 70 and has kept it off for years and she doesn't exercise regularly. There are other plans out there, even though it's a slow process, you might find much more satisfaction from.

The only reason I am doing IP is to get the last few lbs off. Something I couldn't do on WW. Others I know though was able to get to goal and stay there. I did WW on my own for a month to maintain my weight loss on IP and did it successfully. I'm not advocating WW or any plan whatsoever, I'm just saying there are other plans out there that you might want to give a try.
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 190/see ticker /130

Height: 5'5.5 or 5'6 on a bad day :)

What i have learned along the way with the IP diet is that this is a life time commitment. The diet in itself is suppose to teach you those good habits and learn from them especially when you are moving from phase to phase and eventually in maintenance.

Like Vtcowgirl said -- Give yourself a pat on the back for being aware of your body and taking action.

Keep yourself plugged into this site -- there is alot of information and kind ladies (and gents if you are reading) that are willing to provide you advice and encouragement.

xoxoxox
danilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:

Feeling discouraged!
twolabs - wow, there is a lot in your posting to digest and some of it I do not feel qualified to address. But in terms of the weight loss, weight gain, frustration, I think I can recognize some feelings I have also experienced.

I cannot address the issue of metabolism, not an expert on that. But the constant yo-yo is something I have done and on IP when I have absolutely dedicated myself to it, I have stopped that for the most part.

My son used to pick on me for my constant on-a-diet-again. In my mind, I NEVER gave up the war. I would admit that there were many battles that I lost but that does not mean stop fighting and trying.

There are many books that people have recommended (Refuse to Regain) that I have read to try to get a handle on why I gain back what I have lost. Believe me, the losing it is the easiest part, the staying at the lower weight seems to be the hardest part.

All I can say is do NOT give up on IP as long as there is no medical issue. Read the protocol over until you have it ingrained. Stay on this site and gins from the experience of those who have made goal and get their advice. Examine why you think you may have had challenges before and plan how you can do things differently.

Hang in there! This is day to day life long war. It is not a quick fix, drop 20 pounds sort of approach. It involves thinking, reflecting, planning, and yes, asking for help and support! Good luck.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #6  

Although I am not qualified to say what could be happening, I can say that I can relate to the frustration. Some questions if you don't mind.

Were you following maintenance and gaining? I know you were calorie counting but were you separating the fats/carbs, eating a big breaky, and having a fun day?

What were you doing before when you were able to keep it off for a year until the holidays? Have you noticed any changes that could contribute?

Do/did you have a coach?

I often wonder about the long-term impact on future weight loss with a diet like IP...can it cause permanent changes with metabolism that you will immediately gain if starting to eat a more SAD but then I hear well a lb is 3500 excess so there is no way but at the same time then any diet with calorie restrictions should cause losses right. I am with you, it is very confusing!

Let us know what you decide. Have a good day!
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #7  
Restarted IP 3/5/2014

S/C/G: 203/203/150

Height: 5' 6 1/2"

Quote:

Feeling discouraged!

Hi Twolabs!
I have struggled with weight loss and gain my entire life as well.
My suggestions: Since you want to lose, and it worked for you in the past, yes go back on it. But really talk to your coach regarding maintenance. A lot of clinics are having dieters in phase 4 return monthly to ensure you are not gaining weight. That way it hold you more accountable for your weight. But don't cancel your session if you think you gained, realizing the truth of the gain may help you not gain more. I also suggest making sure you drink lots of water and don't eat late! Water will fill you up and helps with weight loss and maintenance. It's also recommended to exercise daily after losing the weight even for 20 min. a day. You are the final person who is responsible for your weight loss. This forum is the main source of my motivation so find what works for you. Hope this helps and keep your head up high!
tabletop1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 194/172/148

Height: 5'6

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I have decided NOT to go back on IP. There are a couple reasons I considered---

In the 2 times I did IP I phased off properly the 2nd time. The first time I did not phase off well. Both times I followed maintainance guidelines- however as time when on I did not do such a great job separating carbs from fat. But truthfully I didn't really return to eating carbs the same way. To this day I don't really eat bread. I get my carbs from fruits and veggies mostly. Occasionally from a bread product.

To complicate this decision I also have had medical issues regarding my thyroid (had a hemi thyroidectomy 2.5 weeks ago). I know the diet did not cause any issues with my nodule removal but I do think I need to make the wisest choice on my diet/lifestyle now more than ever as I may have a lazier thyroid. I will determine medicines, if necessary in next few weeks.

I did meet with a functional medical practitioner who specializes in women and endocrine functions. I think I have found a good solution for me- I am going to begin an elimination diet in next 2 weeks. Since coming off IP I can not tolerate certain foods well- I suspect I have sensitivites and the beauty of IP is that I no longer was having certain foods. Thus when I ate them again I thought that maybe I just had become somewhat intolerant of them. And that may be true, but I bet I sensitivites which may explain some challenges with weight.

I do also believe that the low calorie part of IP may have affected my metabolism. And not in an ideal way. I am having some testing done, but I think as much as i like the results of IP I need to figure out how to live with whole, real foods and improve my metabolism (if possible).

Thanks for all the feedback. I have learned so much from this forum as well as my research in last week. I have become a bit more skeptical of the long term impact of IP- especially from those who struggle to maintain. I just think the rigidness may be too difficult even if it does give a cheat day. Thanks!
twolabs is offline   Reply With Quote