Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 311/270/170

Height: 5'9"

Default 6 Month Waiting Period

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, but I've been a reader for years! This past year, I did the Atkins Diet and I lost 70 pounds. Then it stopped... so I stopped. I've had a brutal on and off carb fight for months now, and I've gained 30 pounds. I've decided that this is the right decision for me. My boyfriend had the surgery 14 months ago, and he lost 250 pounds. He feels so much better in every way!

I love that I have his support, but how to you manage when you don't have support from others? I am dealing with REGULAR phone calls from my mother with statistics and side effects and horror stories, and I really can't take it anymore. I've asked her several times to step back and to support me. I've acknowledged her concerns, but it's my decision to make.

Also, how do you find motivation in your waiting period? My insurance gave me a 6 month notificaation period. I'm 1 month down... nothing scheduled yet.

I look forward to getting to know you all!
gnoff886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

hey there, gnoff!! well, you know you're making a huge step here. Now, about your mother. ummmm. have you considered moving forward WITHOUT her support?

and here's what i mean by that: you love her, she loves you. she wants the best for you and she's worried. you've done your research [right?] and made your decision. Is there anything that she can say that'll change your mind? if there is, then you're not ready for the surgery. But if there isn't A THING she can say to change your decision, then, IT'S YOUR DECISION and you can move forward without her support.

doesn't mean she won't worry about you, but this decision is yours to make, to own. And, as we've been discussing on another thread, RELATIONSHIPS WILL CHANGE. and so it starts.

which gives me a great segue into the 6-month waiting period. this is not only to show the insurance company that you can stick with a plan, but more important to show YOURSELF that you can do it. And you can use this time to examine what motivates you to eat, the emotions that you tame with food, and start figuring out how to live so very differently.

hope this helps - and i'm really glad you've joined us
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

Hi gnoff, please take to heart everything Jiffy said! Powerful words there. She's spot on with ideas about the situation with your mother!

At my clinic, besides proving to the insurance company that I could hang in for 6 months, I also went through a battery of medical tests, such as an endoscopy, chest X-ray, and blood work. Also had an exercise evaluation, a psych evaluation, many types of meetings to help me deal with "head hunger" and many, many meetings with a nutritionist. All of these tests and meetings helped the time go by faster, and before I knew it, it was time for surgery! (I had the Vertical Sleeve done)

To keep motivated, just keep thinking how much better you will feel, how much healthier you will be in time, after surgery. The next 5 months will pass fast, I promise you - just keep your eye on the prize!

I look forward to following your progress!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote