Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Ten proven benefits of a low carb diet

http://authoritynutrition.com/10-ben...togenic-diets/

This is an amazing article. As I was reading it I realized that it was not just words on a page or something someone is claiming. It has been my life. My triglycerides have plummeted. My belly fat has gone way down. I am not hungry anymore. I eat fewer calories.

I still eat veggies but I have cut out as many 'junk carbs' as possible. Which I include wheat in as well, whole or not.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #2  
keto on

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'4"

interesting article. what type of meals do you normally eat? like, what portion of your meal is protein/vegetable? I'm in the process of a detox, but when I go back to eating meals I'd like it to be mostly fresh vegetables with healthy meats. Are there certain vegetables you prefer and certain ones you avoid due to the carbs in them? What type of meats/proteins do you eat the most of? I shed a lot of weight when I do low-carb, but I always go back to eating carbs because I also usually feel sick from all the meats and cheeses I eat when I'm on low carb, so any advice you can share would be helpful
divinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #3  
diamondgeog

I eat a pretty complete range of non-starchy vegetables. I like broc and cauliflower, mushrooms, lots of salad greens, eating more spinach and kale. Eating more and more avocado which also has good oils.

For lunches I have turkey and tuna, I go between them. Some hummus and carrots other veggies and tomatoes. I do like tomatoes a lot. I love cheese, eggs, and meats. So for me this has been a wonderfully easy and even more enjoyable eating wise way to go than before.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

Just a nitpick, but I would definitely question the scientific validity of anything claiming to "prove" anything. Although the studies linked in the article are legitimate, the author probably does not know much about science, and simply read the abstracts of the studies and paraphrased the results.

Scientific studies do not prove hypotheses, but are meant to support hypotheses via positive correlation and informed deduction. Just because a study has results that support its hypothesis, does not mean it has "proven" its hypothesis.

Last edited by laciemn; 01-29-2014 at 12:18 PM.
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #5  
diamondgeog

Sure. Agree with that. I've found, and I am a sample size of exactly 1, the results more and more studies show to be consistent with my experiences. I am sure people vary enough that the results might not be true for everyone.

But they have been absolutely consistent with the study findings summarized in the article for me. So the word for me is consistent. Other articles provide more of a scientific backing of why the results take place. This was more listing the benefits/ things you might experience.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 01-29-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinechaos View Post
I shed a lot of weight when I do low-carb, but I always go back to eating carbs because I also usually feel sick from all the meats and cheeses I eat when I'm on low carb, so any advice you can share would be helpful
Any Google search will get you the list of low carb veggies -

I wonder if you overeat when you do low carb? It's not actually a high protein diet when done well, it's a high-fat one (protein being kept moderate - maybe slightly higher than before you low carb because of breakfast (many people eat eggs). Personally I limit protein to around 65g a day...
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote