Old 01-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/163/150

Height: 5'6" (a little less)

Default Positive Mood Change

Last year at this time, I was convinced that I had Seasonal Affective Disorder (Ontario, Canada and lack of sunlight)...I would drive to work and cry for no reason at all. It eventually went away by March/April I guess and I was fine. It all happened soon after Christmas holidays...I think it was also the fact that I felt so happy to be home with my family and having the 2 week break from work, that when I had to return, I felt sad...(even though I actually really like my job).

Anyhow, this year, I have been stressed just *thinking* about experiencing all of that again. Sure enough....after Christmas I had a couple of "those" days again. THEN....I started IP (I'm on day 13 btw)....I have felt so positive! Has anyone else noticed a positive mood change? I don't know if it's the food, the vitamins or if it's just me feeling better about myself.

It's great anyway
Sheriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Sheriously, most likely a combination of it all . Glad that you are enjoying your IP journey.
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: IP Restart: 181.2/175.6/130

Height: 5'4"

I agree, probably a combo of all you mentioned. So glad IP is working for you! For me, getting off of all the processed sugar made a big difference. I'm no longer having those sugar spikes and crashes - a healthy change.
lighthouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #4  
maintaining since 9/2013

I have big issues with SAD, both before & after weight loss. I use a SAD light recommended by a good friend who did extensive research. The results are subtle but if I skip it, I am really low-spirited. It's most effective when begun early in the season, maybe late August depending on where you live. I use it first thing in the morning, 30 minutes/day while reading 3FC. Make sure to follow the directions to avoid strained or reddened eyes.

Lightphoria 10,000LUX Energy Light Lamp

It's on amazon, with price currently jacked up to 69.99. Wait until summer and it should be 20-30.00. It's too late to be effective this season.

If I had more room and budget, I would get the desk lamp from Sunbox. I tried it out and the effect was more noticeable for me. But it's bulky and 250.00.

There are many websites with tables that show how much daylight adds each day after the winter solstice. I live for this progression to longer days, even more than WIs!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

I do not know to what I can attribute the same change, but I do notice a difference in a big way! There were many days I hated facing the morning and wished I could keep sleeping. When I DID get up, I was lethargic and could not get myself to do all the things that needed to be done.

Now, I am practically full of energy, looking for things to do so that I can be active. Rake lawn, prune trees, straighten the woodpile, oh I can think of lots of things I do. Love it and I know my husband loves the difference, too.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #6  

Height: 5'2

Speaking of positive mood changes...

My coach gave me a weeks worth of Calm Magnesium Citrate powder. I have taken it before bed the past 5 nights. The results are very positive! I struggle with insomnia and depression/mood swings. 4 out the 5 nights I slept right through and woke up feeling happy. It is really helping with BM's too if any one has trouble with that. Thought I would share that info with you all if you want to try it - may help with the winter blues. It's not part of the IP protocol. Some coaches carry it, but if yours doesn't it should be available in many health food stores or online.
stephascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

ALL of these things are factors...but don't overlook the psychological effect of knowing you are doing good things for yourself. It is similar to the placebo effect...but the "pill" in this case is no overeating to deal with the winter doldrums or blue feelings, and knowing you are going in a positive direction with what you are doing to/for yourself. Negative self image and despair about being overweight is not going to make a recipe for feeling good and having enough energy...even on a sunny day, and using the BEST anti-depressant for you!!

Doing good things for yourself is the only "medicine" I know of that does not interact with your other Rx or OTC meds.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
ALL of these things are factors...but don't overlook the psychological effect of knowing you are doing good things for yourself. It is similar to the placebo effect...but the "pill" in this case is no overeating to deal with the winter doldrums or blue feelings, and knowing you are going in a positive direction with what you are doing to/for yourself. Negative self image and despair about being overweight is not going to make a recipe for feeling good and having enough energy...even on a sunny day, and using the BEST anti-depressant for you!!

Doing good things for yourself is the only "medicine" I know of that does not interact with your other Rx or OTC meds.
I am laughing because my husband LOVES the change in my mood - not only because I am kinder and more relaxed but because the house and yard are immaculate and I have even tackled some of 'his' repair jobs as I have so much energy and cannot sit still like I used to. He does get a wee bit nervous when I get near his power tools, though.....
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote