Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #1  

Default Anyone with Panic disorders/issues?

Hi,

I thought the depression forum would be appropriate to also talk about anxiety.
A little background for the past few years I have developed a panic disorder with agoraphobic symptoms.. To the point where I don't leave the house very often and since this has started I have gained 60 pounds. I have always been overweight but since I am hardly active at all now it's gotten my heaviest.
The panic is probably the more pressing issue but weight is always at the back of my mind and so much of my routine to avoid or comfort bad feelings is through eating. Another thing is I hear so many people say start of slowly go take a walk, but I literally have too much anxiety to go for a walk
Has anyone dealt with bad anxiety & food compulsion/addictions/overweight and get better with both
or just any thoughts or experience with your own anxiety issues?
davina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/180/130

Height: 5' 2"

Hi Davina,

I suffered from severe anxiety with panic attacks for years. In the past two years I'm finally feeling like I have a great handle on these issues and now I'm focussing more on losing weight.
For me, it took medication, therapy and a lot of work educating myself about my conditions.
Are you on medication for your anxiety? Have you visited a therapist?
As scary as this might sound to you right now, the best way to overcome your anxiety is to face those situations that cause you panic face on.
Jaymie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #3  
Harness that energy.

S/C/G: 164.5/147.7/135

Height: 5'4"

I had my first panic attack several months back. It was awful, and more than likely due to my stress levels and (a good guess) too much caffeine.

The thing is, it took me months to get back to normal after the attack. I suddenly felt very vulnerable.

I cut energy drinks out after the panic attack. Who knows, they might've spawned it. Most energy drinks are pretty unhealthy anyway. I replaced them with coffee, tea, and Vitamin B3 supplements.
LilDazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #4  
on a journey

I suffer from terrible from terrible anxiety. I am on several meds for it but they don't take it away. I have skills that help me but it is bad. I am lucky enough to never have a panic attack.

Therapy does me a world of good.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #5  
Warrior Princess

Yes, I have experience.

I think once things have gotten so bad that you have trouble leaving the house then it's time to seek qualified help and be put on medication. This is not something to deal with (and suffer) on your own. I think meds are mostly a last resort but in your case it seems warranted...sometimes waiting too long for meds isn't good either because it could've prevented things from getting worse. I'd address this before you can't leave the house at all. Just my advice.

I hate that there's a stigma attached to psych meds because it's stops a lot people from seeking help. Don't listen to negativity and keep it to yourself when it comes to people that don't understand. It's none of their business anyway. Also stay off Google.

Good luck.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

I have anxiety issues which I unfortunately self-medicate with beer and wine. I have had panic attacks; luckily I have them very, very infrequently, but I agree they stay with you. My last one was in October, 2013.
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:08 AM   #7  

Thanks for all the input.
I do take medication I have no problem with that, however the anti depressants don't really do much for my issues, the anti anxiety meds are helpful with certain things.
yes I need help at this point and get some kind of cognitive therapy for the fears I just feel like I have so much to overcome and am completely stuck and can't get out of it.
I guess you have to feel the fear in order to get better and stop avoiding it.
I remember when weight used to be my biggest hurdle I almost wish I could go back to those days after experiencing this nightmare.

Last edited by davina; 02-02-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #8  
Time For A New Me

S/C/G: 347/335/200

Height: 5'7

I Have Terrible Anxiety. It Can Really Be Life Altering Some Of The Reason I Gained A Lot Of Weight. I Started To Stay In And Eat.
Honey_Dough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 AM   #9  
Be your own hero

S/C/G: 285.6/211.4/129

Height: 5ft 6

Me.
I am a lot like you davina with my anxiety turning into agoraphobia to the point that, when it was at my worst, I didn't leave the house for about 4 months. So naturally I gained a lot of weight. Last night though, I made myself go outside with my partner and went for a jog/walk at like 9:30pm when no one was around. That helped a bit
ushotmedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #10  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by davina View Post
Thanks for all the input.
I do take medication I have no problem with that, however the anti depressants don't really do much for my issues, the anti anxiety meds are helpful with certain things.
yes I need help at this point and get some kind of cognitive therapy for the fears I just feel like I have so much to overcome and am completely stuck and can't get out of it.
I guess you have to feel the fear in order to get better and stop avoiding it.
I remember when weight used to be my biggest hurdle I almost wish I could go back to those days after experiencing this nightmare.
That's great that you're taking something but if it's not working ask to try a different SSRI. Some work better than others depending on the person. They may also up your anti-anxiety dosage a little for now, but getting the right SSRI is key.

Also, yes...you have to face your fear. Exposure therapy WILL help a lot. Start out with a friend or family member and sit outside for a while, then get in the car and go as far as you can, then next time go a little further. Right now your home is "safe" but you and I know that's irrational...that's part of having a phobia. Whenever I feel scared my first instinct is to run home. I eventually learned to stop, sit down and make myself not go home. A lot of times I start to sweat when I am getting ready to leave the house to go somewhere for a night out. Believe me I want to stay home but I force myself to go...meds in my purse, but I go. It's hard. I totally understand. Keep fighting, hun. Tell yourself out loud that you wont allow this "thing" to ruin your life or keep you from going places. There are times I feel a panic attack coming on and I yell out "bring it on!" and it stops. It's a cycle of being in fear of the fear. Once you take control of your mind the fear stops.

Sorry for the novel..rambling thoughts. Good luck, hun.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #11  

Thank you so much. I do things like drive thankfully, Im not fully housebound...Certain things I haven't done like been inside a shopping mall in a few years, walmarts,etc...I could live without those places but even grocery stores give me a problem, I will run in quickly and get a few things...actually thats been a big problem I can't leisurely buy groceries anymore so I eat mostly fast food....whereas before I would have a long grocery list with my meal plans and take my time in the store You are right I will have to force myself one of these days ...
One exercise I could do instead of walking is find a public swimming pool so I need to look into that as well...if I get the courage to put on a swim outfit
Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 151/151/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by davina View Post
Thank you so much. I do things like drive thankfully, Im not fully housebound...Certain things I haven't done like been inside a shopping mall in a few years, walmarts,etc...I could live without those places but even grocery stores give me a problem, I will run in quickly and get a few things...actually thats been a big problem I can't leisurely buy groceries anymore so I eat mostly fast food....whereas before I would have a long grocery list with my meal plans and take my time in the store You are right I will have to force myself one of these days ...
One exercise I could do instead of walking is find a public swimming pool so I need to look into that as well...if I get the courage to put on a swim outfit
Try online grocery shopping. They deliver and you dont even have to open them the door. I agree with the previous posts: your doctor should change the depression meds. As some help with anxiety. A sign they work is you will find yourself realizing you are "worried/afraid" about a situation but going into it anyways as if you were floating outside your body. You must seek therapy. There is no med that can help without therapy. Good luck...
Dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

I have severe anxiety with infrequent panic attacks. My anxiety is mostly social anxiety, so taking a walk around the neighborhood or going to a gym triggers my anxiety too much to be a long-term solution. If walking around the block triggers your agoraphobia, then work up to it. Try workout videos at home (where it's safe.) I really like the Leslie Sansone videos because they are easy and feature people of all different sizes.

I agree with everyone's suggestions to try different SSRIs and talk to a therapist. Until you get help with the anxiety, you can still get exercise inside your home. It may just take some creativity.
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #14  
on a journey

I like going out, socializing doesn't bother me but large crowds...now THAT bothers me. I just don't like large crowds of people. I love sports and would love to go to say basketball of football but when I'm there...I'd be VERY uncomfortable.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #15  

"Try online grocery shopping. They deliver and you dont even have to open them the door. I agree with the previous posts: your doctor should change the depression meds. As some help with anxiety. A sign they work is you will find yourself realizing you are "worried/afraid" about a situation but going into it anyways as if you were floating outside your body. You must seek therapy. There is no med that can help without therapy. Good luck..."

Thanks

"I have severe anxiety with infrequent panic attacks. My anxiety is mostly social anxiety, so taking a walk around the neighborhood or going to a gym triggers my anxiety too much to be a long-term solution. If walking around the block triggers your agoraphobia, then work up to it. Try workout videos at home (where it's safe.) I really like the Leslie Sansone videos because they are easy and feature people of all different sizes.
I agree with everyone's suggestions to try different SSRIs and talk to a therapist. Until you get help with the anxiety, you can still get exercise inside your home. It may just take some creativity."

Thanks I will check out those videos...I remember doing turbojam for a little while and I really enjoyed it. Got my heart rate up pretty quickly.

"I like going out, socializing doesn't bother me but large crowds...now THAT bothers me. I just don't like large crowds of people. I love sports and would love to go to say basketball of football but when I'm there...I'd be VERY uncomfortable."

Totally know what you mean...It NEVER bothered me before I would go to music festivals and such...Now the idea gets me nervous..
it really has sucked the joy out of everything, not to be a total downer I don't know how else to describe it..But on the positive side people have gotten better, there is hope.
One silver lining I can take from this is i don't take much for granted anymore. i am thankful for every good moment and can appreciate the smallest thing when I have peace of mind.......I can also recommend a book that gave me some comfort for anyone interested called "Hope and Help for your nerves" Dr Claire Weekes. it was published originally in 1960's so some of the wording can sound dated but she has a very comforting way of explaining symptoms,etc.

Last edited by davina; 02-13-2014 at 07:34 PM.