Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #1  
Goal: flight

S/C/G: 250/245/165

Height: 5'7"

Cool Found my motivation the hard way

Hi All,

I've been a stalker for a couple of years now. I'd like to be active and provide support for other members and myself. I have done Atkins before successfully. It seems to be the only thing that works. I had a rude awakening recently, which is what forced me back on track.

I am writing this publicly to give myself some accountability. I went to apply for a flight medic job and found that despite having the required experience, I would not make the weight requirement. I would have to be under the weight requirement by the time I was interviewed, which would probably be in the next few weeks. I am off by 40 pounds. I stared at my computer, at the job description and the weight requirement. Now my weight is holding me back from fulfilling my professional goals.

Am I ashamed? Yes. Am I embarrassed? Yes. But I think I have found the motivation I need to get serious and move forward.

I think one of the reasons Atkins is known to be challenging the second (or fifth) time around may be due to the fact that we know all the tricks and cheats. We get lazy and try to beat the system. Instead, the system beats us. I'm committed. I'm here. Thanks for reading.
OthelloLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:51 AM   #2  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Congratulations on re-starting your journey!! Be kind to yourself. Fat equals fat, fat does not equal bad! Writing publicly does provide accountability and is one of the main differences for me this time around with Atkins. The support of this forumhas helped me stay on track even when it seems impossible. There are so many of us in the same struggle! Best wishes for an on-plan day!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #3  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Othelo... Welcome.. and I am sorry that right at this moment you do not comply with the requirements for the job... but that is right now.... In a few short weeks you WILL comply and walk thru that interview whistling and "floating" We all have different reasons why we finally decide that this time is the right time. Lulu and I have been doing this a year now. I have been on and off so many times in the past and beinbg 55 years old doesn't help.. but I did lose 78 lbs in a year... So I know it can be done (and I went and had "cheat" meals several times too! I am human). So I know you can and will do it!. We are here cheering you on! I cannot wait to see you accomplish your dream!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

^It's totally impossible to lose 40 lbs in a couple of weeks....

However, if you lost 4-5 lbs before the interview, you might express that to your potential employer and maybe they would hire you on faith.
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu NH View Post
Congratulations on re-starting your journey!! Be kind to yourself. Fat equals fat, fat does not equal bad! Writing publicly does provide accountability and is one of the main differences for me this time around with Atkins. The support of this forumhas helped me stay on track even when it seems impossible. There are so many of us in the same struggle! Best wishes for an on-plan day!!
Lulu- That's what this is all about- public accountability. Maybe realizing that I weigh too much for a JOB is enough to keep me on track. I needed to weigh 210 at the interview. I wondered if there would be any way I could accomplish that in a month, or a few weeks (not knowing when the interview would be, if I got one). As a paramedic, I have waited to have the experience and knowledge required to get into flight. Now that I feel I am ready, I cannot believe my weight is holding me back. Enough already! Thanks for your support, that's why I am here.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaskipandlaugh View Post
Othelo... Welcome.. and I am sorry that right at this moment you do not comply with the requirements for the job... but that is right now.... In a few short weeks you WILL comply and walk thru that interview whistling and "floating" We all have different reasons why we finally decide that this time is the right time. Lulu and I have been doing this a year now. I have been on and off so many times in the past and beinbg 55 years old doesn't help.. but I did lose 78 lbs in a year... So I know it can be done (and I went and had "cheat" meals several times too! I am human). So I know you can and will do it!. We are here cheering you on! I cannot wait to see you accomplish your dream!
78 Pounds is absolutely awesome! Whistling and floating sounds pretty awesome too! I hope that in the future I can post a picture of me in a flight suit... a very motivating thought.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by laciemn View Post
^It's totally impossible to lose 40 lbs in a couple of weeks....

However, if you lost 4-5 lbs before the interview, you might express that to your potential employer and maybe they would hire you on faith.
Lacie- I agree... and it's not very healthy, either. Flight is a strict field, they don't hire on faith. That's for me to provide. Thank you for supporting me. This morning, I had a very "clean" breakfast. Egg whites, turkey bacon, coffee with CONTROLLED amount of cream.

Part of my issue was eating huge quantities of bacon, sausage, etc. Just because we can doesn't mean it's okay. Serving size counts!! I also plan to become one with veggies. My other weakness is sweet 'n low. I have been an abuser in the past. My name is OthelloLove, and I'm a sweet 'n Low-a-holic. There. I said it. I plan to count them like I am supposed to now. Looking at people's before and after pictures is incredibly motivating- you guys are awesome. And beautiful both before AND after.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

It doesn't really matter what opens our eyes as long as they get opened! For some it will be small things like wanting to fit in their jeans better and for some it will be huge things like a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. No matter what it is I feel like at some point God finds the thing that will really make us see it is time and we can't live like this forever. I am really sorry that for you it was your job I am sure that is really hard to deal with, but I am happy that you have found your reason and it is motivating you! Good luck on your journey!
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Sounds like you found a great motivator - welcome aboard!
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #10  

Brooklynn- don't be sorry- I'm still employed and feeling tremendously motivated!

Not only that, I am much more conscious of my menu items. For example, I didn't realize that my EVOO has 130 calories in 1 tbs! Jeepers! Need to watch it. I am also counting calories, too. I'm not going crazy with it, but this WOE is not meant to be a protein and fat free-for-all....

I can't seem to stop peeing, so I guess I'm where I need to be. Tracking my water intake too.

Paris- thank you!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #11  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

Quote:
I think one of the reasons Atkins is known to be challenging the second (or fifth) time around may be due to the fact that we know all the tricks and cheats. We get lazy and try to beat the system. Instead, the system beats us.
I know I have been guilty of saying to others that Atkins just doesn't work as well the second time around (or more) and is harder to get weight off than the first go round, but what your saying really finally hit me..this is why it is harder the second time around. I am thinking back to when I first did Atkins. I was miserable, depressed with being so over weight.

I followed Atkins right down the the littlest detail. I counted all my carbs, ate only induction friendly foods in the beginning, and I couldn't even comprehend the idea of bending or breaking the rules. I wanted to drop that weight do desperately. Ok, fast forward. I have gained about 20 of the original 100 pounds back that I lost and why was that? Because I got sloppy, because I began having "cheat days" or carb creep and got the attitude of just a little wont hurt and "I'm not losing anyway so go ahead"...Well, that added 20 lbs. I've become someone that has learned how to "work Atkins" find all the little loop holes and bend those rules til they should really break...then I say I don't know why Atkins isn't working this time around..well, because I'm not working this time around. I have taken what was a great weight loss and health tool for myself and turned it into a way to binge eat, abuse my body by eating horrible foods, and then jump back on the wagon after I gain weight.

I can't use Atkins like this, its not meant to be done..it makes the program more of a yo yo diet than a way of life like Atkins is meant to be followed. while I really knew what I was doing, I couldn't really explain it to myself this way. I just kept telling myself I would fall off the wagon and then restart Atkins. Well, truthfully I've never gotten back on the wagon and made Atkins the life style choice I did the first time around.

I've been cheating so much , for so long, but eventually those cheats add up and I wont be able to lie to myself when my health gets worse and I also gain weight. I used to think of Atkins as a health tool and a way to be healthy and losing weight was the side effect. I now look at Atkins as a way to lose weight that I have gained eating bad unhealthy foods, not even reminding myself that you can only cheat yourself so long and then all the bad things will add up. Did I like being 100 pounds overweight? Do I want to go back to dangerously high blood pressure and type two diabetes?

What was it the first time that scared me so badly, make me stick to Atkins? I've been trying to figure that out. When I made Atkins a life style and way of eating I never once had the thoughts of I could just slip a piece of cake here or there or a little breading didn't matter. My mind and body have learned to love carbs again.

Well, carbs lie to you emotionally and physically...they are not healthy for you and this attitude I've adapted concerning my health isn't one I should have. I've become sloppy, weak, make excuses for not eating healthy and no exercise. Its a dangerous cycle and using Atkins this way just gives those that appose the lifestyle more ammunition to attack it as a yo yo or fad diet. If I know all of this, and believe it, why do I find it so difficult to do what I am supposed to do?

I understand your job being a motivator for losing weight. We have learned that starting in May of this year employees who take the DOT physical (I have a cdl) have to be a certain weight to pass the physical. I am overweight, not obese, but beyond the weight I should be for my height. I have to start losing a few pounds and keep it off.

On January 29th we are having a health fair at work. I have attended this fair 3 times. The school district provides free blood screening and several other tests at no cost or low cost..they provide you with a cholesterol reading, vitamin levels, blood sugar (A1C), blood pressure, and other health tests that can then be evaluated and taken to your dr.

I took these tests for the first time several years ago at 250 lbs. I had horrible levels. I then took them the following year after being on Atkins, I had great numbers. I am planning on returning to have the tests this time to see for myself what is going on inside and what all this cheating has done besides the weight gain. I am hoping it will help me stick to Atkins. I've only had 3 days of clean eating.

Last edited by mainecyn; 01-22-2014 at 03:54 PM.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

You are correct about it not being a fat free for all but evoo has good fats too and is not one I stress to much about of course for me I only get about 1 maybe 2 tbsp a day anyway. Good luck to you!
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote