UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 03:18 PM   #1  

Angry Hello...a bit about me :)

Hi Everyone,
I was referred to this forum by a cybermate, and wanted to say hello and tell you a bit about myself. I am a Reductil (Meridia) user and have managed to PAINLESSLY lose 15lbs in just a month.
I started dieting at 13st10lbs and got down to 11st4lb by calorie counting and willpower.That willpower then deserted me (or should that read dessert-ed?) and I yo yo'd around +/- 10lb for an eternity. Then I found Reductil and am now for the first time since 1991 just about to drop below 10stone. Before as soon as I hit 10st 7 I would just go berserk and shares in Cadbury would rocket. It was like my brain really WANTED me to be bigger and triggered the uncontrollable journey back up to over 11st.
Well that's enough for now. Hope to be able to help you out with any chemistry/pharmacy/biochemistry related issues as this is my field.
Cheers,
ChocLover
Old 07-08-2003, 04:58 PM   #2  

Hi Choc Lover
just thought I'd say Hi.
I joined this forum today too.
well done on your weight loss !

really interesting to hear your experience of reductil.

did you buy it or get it prescribed?
I see that the criteria for it to be prescribed on the NHS. ( body mass over BMI 30 or over 27 and co-existing weight related helath probs).

have you had any problems with side effects?

hoe you don't find the questions intrusive
regards
Old 07-08-2003, 05:20 PM   #3  

Angry

Hi Katya,
OOOHHHH you are my first reply. I am all excited!
I must fess up and admit that I got my Reductil online not through my Doc. Basically there is a loophole in UK law that allows a doc to prescribe meds without actually seeing the patient. These remote docs still have to 'check' you for possible contra indications so I had to fill out a questionnaire.When it got to the BMI I had to lie( I was 11st4 and am 5ft 7) so I put on 40lbs or so and lost a bit of height to get over 30. Obviously if I had gone to my local surgery then I could not have done this.
I am just starting month 2 and the side effects were as follows:

Week 1...nauseous for 2 days and a bit wired as I fully expected to drop down dead from taking the R. Kept waking up around 3am. Dry mouth (budgies cage).

Week 2... started to relax a bit as had not died. Drier mouth if that is possible. More disturbed sleep.

Week 3 ... realised I had not had a poo in over a week..Oh my oh my thank God for Glycerin Suppositories and Ex Lax. Mouth so dry I was starting to talk funny.Sleep improving.Found that MUST take pill really early in morning to prevent sleep probs.

Week 4..Still constipated(other users similar) Still dry mouthed but a full stone lighter so hey...I got what feels like the Sahara Desert in my mouth but I can get into clothes that have been put away for years.
All told it has been SO easy Katya. R totally removed my between meal snack habit and I was happy to eat maybe half my usual volume at dinner and not feel hard done by. That is the key to R's success.You really don't feel like you are dieting because the NEED is not there.
Let me know if you want to know more, and good luck
Choc...sorry I couldn't lighten this up with Smilies but the window wouldn't open for some reason tonight.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:33 PM   #4  

Katya,
I just noticed in one of your posts that you have a history of high blood pressure . That is the biggest contra indicator for Reductil so stick to WW. I know I made it sound really easy but no amount of weight loss is worth risking your health. If you are just curious then I am happy to tell all but I don't want anyone to think I am trying to encourage you to try it.
Choc
Old 07-08-2003, 06:21 PM   #5  

Hi again Choc Lover

thanks for your frank reply
sounds like you know what's right for you

don't think I could take the risk for the time being anway, with R at the moment, but it's good to hear of your positive experiences cb:

it's taking me a long time to lose weight, suspect my base metabolism is pretty low as am very sedantry and can't exercise.

I've noticed that when I get an attack of the nibbles - it's not hunger but exhaustion, boredom, stress or all 3 !

guess I'll have to learn to deal with these feelings without eating !
Old 07-08-2003, 07:46 PM   #6  

sounds not so great to me. so you lied to a online doctor and had loads of side effects? 11st4 and 5ft 7 doesnt even sound fat.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChocLover
Hi Katya,
OOOHHHH you are my first reply. I am all excited!
I must fess up and admit that I got my Reductil online not through my Doc. Basically there is a loophole in UK law that allows a doc to prescribe meds without actually seeing the patient. These remote docs still have to 'check' you for possible contra indications so I had to fill out a questionnaire.When it got to the BMI I had to lie( I was 11st4 and am 5ft 7) so I put on 40lbs or so and lost a bit of height to get over 30. Obviously if I had gone to my local surgery then I could not have done this.
I am just starting month 2 and the side effects were as follows:

Week 1...nauseous for 2 days and a bit wired as I fully expected to drop down dead from taking the R. Kept waking up around 3am. Dry mouth (budgies cage).

Week 2... started to relax a bit as had not died. Drier mouth if that is possible. More disturbed sleep.

Week 3 ... realised I had not had a poo in over a week..Oh my oh my thank God for Glycerin Suppositories and Ex Lax. Mouth so dry I was starting to talk funny.Sleep improving.Found that MUST take pill really early in morning to prevent sleep probs.

Week 4..Still constipated(other users similar) Still dry mouthed but a full stone lighter so hey...I got what feels like the Sahara Desert in my mouth but I can get into clothes that have been put away for years.
All told it has been SO easy Katya. R totally removed my between meal snack habit and I was happy to eat maybe half my usual volume at dinner and not feel hard done by. That is the key to R's success.You really don't feel like you are dieting because the NEED is not there.
Let me know if you want to know more, and good luck
Choc...sorry I couldn't lighten this up with Smilies but the window wouldn't open for some reason tonight.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:20 PM   #7  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

HI Choclover, Glad to hear that the meds have worked so far for you, even with the side effects which sound rather scary to me, maybe now you've passed your up down plateau, you could go back on plan and not use the meds. Is that how it works? Forgive me for being stupid, I was just wondering, or do you have to take the meds to keep the weight off once it's gone?
Old 07-09-2003, 10:51 AM   #8  

Hi BritinNJ,
The side effects were what I would describe as inconvenient rather than scary. Constipation is a feature of several diets eg the Atkins diet and is treatable and preventable once you know what you are up against. The insomnia was sorted by careful timing and the dry mouth lessened as I entered week 5 so all in all I would do it again.
But like any medication based diet, you have to eventually go solo and Reductil is not intended for long term use or regular weight maintenance. It doesn't really change your attitude to food, just temporarily reduces your cravings. Now I know a lot of Xenical users and that IS a behaviour modifying drug. Over time you learn to avoid fatty foods, because if you don't...well I won't go into the details but they all travel with a spare set of clothes and a lot of wet wipes.
So if I revert to my old ways then I will glide back up to 13st but hopefully the desire to stay slim will mostly override the desire to be a and some balance will be achieved.
Maintenance is the key!
Let me know how you are doing. I spent 3 years in Virginia and came back last year.
Be Good,
ChocLover
Old 07-09-2003, 01:16 PM   #9  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Choclover

You have a wicked sense of humour i could'nt stop giggling at your post Congratulations on your weightloss although i would'nt have gone your route either you must be very slim now i hope you have stopped taking the meds and can maintain your weight now.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:06 PM   #10  

Hmm. Not sure I like the idea of medication myself (I am SUPPOSED to be on blood pressure tablets but haven't taken them for ages (was really strapped for cash until just recently, and 3 x prescription charges each month - no joke.I know if you are on long term medication you can make a one off payment each year but with my luck two months in I would be off the tablets or something).

I must say that I would be pretty miserable if I was constipated like that! That is why I gave up WW as I had headaches and constipation all the time even though I ate enough vegs and fruit. I am happy now on Sliming World, I must say.

I am even off choc at the momemnt. Blame it on the weather - I cannot face chcoclate if it is hot. Also I have a summer cold. Somehow that always seems worse than a winter one! Totally at odds!

Yesterday was bad at work as I was really suffering with a groggy head and everyone and their pet dog wanted me to do this and that blah blah blah. It was a relief to get home!

I am off to the cinema tonight to see L'Homme du Train. The weekend starts now!!!

Have fun everyone
Closed Thread