Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 343/248/200

Height: 5'4"

Default Any breakfast food ideas?

Hi everyone:

In an attempt to start eating healthier, I want to cut down on my intake of bread. I find I often make toast for breakfast. The reason for this is because I have an intolerance towards eggs and most breakfast foods call for eggs. I was wondering if 3FC had some healthy alternatives?

Thanks!
lemc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

How about oatmeal or hot or cold cereals with fruit? Banana or apple and peanut butter? Smoothie with fruit/veg? Good luck!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #3  

Thanks for the suggestions! We just picked up a blender, so maybe I'll try a fruit or veggie smoothie recipe. I find smoothies to be VERY filling.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

I tend to eat a lot of yogurt and fruit for breakfast. I have also been eating this bagels called 'thinnys' and they are the same size round as bagels but super thin. That will some peanutbutter and I am good to go!
JenB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #5  
More food, less me!

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

If you love smoothies as is, do what I do and throw a handful or two of old fashioned raw rolled oats in! My FAVORTIE recipies for breakfast is:

Frozen Blueberries (to taste? I do around a cup)
Greek yogurt (1tbsp-ish)
Honey (also to taste raw honey has a billion benefits!)
Oats (again to taste, 1/2 cup? Ish?)
Vanilla Almond milk (to desired consistency)

Tastes like a mushed up blueberry poptart dipped in milk, just add sprinkles

...side not: I measure nothing. let me know if you like it too!
whollyhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #6  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Homemade smoothies are a great idea. Very filling and healthy, as long as you don't add sugar.

Something I've discovered is to take fruit flavored instant oatmeal and stir in a spoonful of peanut butter. Tastes like PB&J, but its healthier and filling. Personally, I like Better Oats Mmm... Muffins Blueberry Oatmeal.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #7  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

I have an amazing recipe for a bread (really it's a focaccia) that has almost no carbs. It has eggs in it but it is not "eggy" at all. I can PM it to you if you like.

I also have a recipe for a super-healthy non-bread "One Minute Muffin". It is super easy and very nutritious. It is a tiny bit "eggy" but you can reduce the "egginess" by using egg beaters instead of "real" eggs and adding lots of cinnamon.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #8  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I'm with those on the smoothies as long there's no form of any caloric sugar (honey, raw sugar, etc) added- I add more fruit in instead like natural applesauce with no sugar added. I would strongly suggest you to freeze your fruits and veggies to eliminate the need for ice although I do sometimes need to add water if it is too thick. If you plan to do green smoothies, don't forget the banana- it's the key to covering up the green taste. My easy fave is frozen berries, one frozen banana, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, handfuls of spinach along with up to 1 cup water (for thinning out to your preferred consistency.) Up to 1/2 cup applesauce if it isn't sweet enough, I notice it is usually when I use frozen spinach instead of fresh since they have sodium added to them.

I stopped associating foods with breakfast, lunch and dinner and just eat whatever sounds good to me at the time (OP of course.)

One of my fave food to eat anytime- pumpkin or banana oatmeal pancakes. You can omit the egg, perhaps add a bit of milk or something, enough to be able to pour the batter on a hot and greased skillet/pan. There are tons of recipes online if you type in something like "pumpkin oatmeal pancakes no egg." It is not exactly the same as regular pancakes but it's close enough for me and I get my fruit and/or veggie fix!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #9  
Vegetarian, Low carb

Here is the bread substitute I use. It is absolutely amazing and you will not regret trying it.

http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/20...-style-gf.html

The gluten free bake mix called for in the recipe is here. I make a double batch and keep it on hand all the time:
http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/20...always-on.html

I know it seems like a lot of work, and it has some specialty ingredients, but this "pizza crust" bread has become a mainstay of my diet. I bake two "crusts" at a time, cut them into serving size portions (eight servings per batch), and freeze them pre-sliced. I use it as sandwich bread, pizza crust, focaccia, or anywhere bread is required. It makes an excellent panini-maker or grilled-cheese sandwich bread, too.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #10  
Vegetarian, Low carb

And here is the One Minute Muffin:

1/4 cup Golden Flax Meal (HAS to be golden flax meal, the regular is not nearly as good-tasting)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 packet Splenda, truvia, or other sweetener
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup egg beaters or egg whites
3/4 teaspoon coconut oil (can sub pureed pumpkin, sour cream, or Greek yogurt to save calories)
1.5 Carbs

Mix the dry ingredients in a large coffee cup or a small bowl. Add egg and coconut oil; mix well. Microwave for 50-seconds to 1-minute. Muffin pops right out.

I serve mine topped with Greek yogurt, Splenda, and a sprinkle of additional pumpkin pie spice.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I eat mostly smoothies for breakfast. I don't eat any eggs myself.

And I know you said you are cutting out bread but I think bread can be part of a healthy diet.

Once in a great while, I'll make waffles or pancakes. I like waffles or pancakes plain but thawed frozen fruit is a great addition as are nuts.

Also, one of my favorite breakfast food items that isn't a smoothie is toast topped with hummus and cucumber/tomato slices.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #12  

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely try these out.

I caved in this morning and ate homemade waffles. We just used pancake mix in the waffle maker. Didn't add anything -- just ate 'em plain.

Any smoothie suggestions for pears/apples? I have absolutely no bananas in my apartment right now. I can name some of the stuff I do have:

Plain instant oatmeal
Plain yoghurt (not Greek unfortunately)
Peanut butter
Grapes
Pears
An apple

Can I make a smoothie out of this?

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm allergic to honey as well, so no worries about me adding that to anything.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #13  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Oh yea! You totally could do oatmeal, yogurt, peanut butter, grapes, and apple! Personally, I'd prefer to cook the oatmeal first then let it cool off completely before adding to smoothie. You may or may not need water if you're adding cooked oatmeal to the smoothie. If it isn't sweet enough, you could try adding grapes to the smoothie. Perhaps some cinnamon as well if you have it, like it and are not allergic.

I forgot to add to the previous post that for more sweetness, I've used raisins, dates and figs. Usually 1/2 serving's worth or less is enough.

Enjoy!

As for you not having Greek yogurt, no biggie! Yogurt is yogurt.

Last edited by amandie; 01-05-2014 at 10:12 PM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You could also just make oatmeal.

Oatmeal + peanut butter + shredded apples or pears would be pretty good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #15  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

It makes no sense to eat waffles or pancakes instead of bread for the sake of low carbs because waffles and pancakes are made from flour as is bread. However i agree with the poster suggesting these as alternatives because i also don't think there's anything wrong with having toast for breakfast as i don't think there is anything wrong with carbs when they are nutritious as is the case with wholegrain bread of breads made with strong flours. Its only ordinary crappy white sliced bread that's rubbish and you can tell because when you eat it you feel like you are eating fairy floss.

Good nutritious bread is satisfying and makes you feel like you have a useful meal.

That's said, I also agree with the person who said to give up the idea of breakfast foods. Its a useful way to think if you can get over your habit of what you have for breakfast. Certainly i like my cereals and toasts, oats and stuff. But in foreign countries i eat what they eat and sometimes that's a chick pea curry.

Anyway what you want is ideas for brekkie. How about grilled tomatoes with ryvita style crackers. Or cottage cheese on same.

I sometimes make a lovely lunch called smashed avocados which i got from a cafe in central australia.

two pieces of toast. On top of that half a smashed avocado, on top of that a hand ful of salad made of finely chopped tomato iwht a smidgeon of fresh onion, and a finer sprinkling of crumbled fetta cheese. black pepper. Salt. Totally delicious. On toast or on a dry cracker thing.

Of course avocado is very high in fat but its good fat and if you are generally overall burning more calls than you are eating through the day you will still lose weight.

Ultimately its all about that equation. Only generally i find that for dieting i prefer high bulk low calorie foods. A big fruit fresh fruit salad would do it. as would a bowl of porridge oats with milk and only a little sugar or honey on top to make it palatable.

Or you could have leftover roast veggies from night before stir fried with some peas through it.

If you don't have toast you should have a protein food because you generally need a bit of something substantial to get you through to the next meal. A big bowl of fruits salad would do it but not a small bowl, i think.

I don't think a fruit smoothie would do it. i prefer solids. There's plenty of carbs in a smoothie too so there's no point substituting bread for smoothie on the basis of carbs. Also there is no benefit in gluten free unless you are a coeliac. Gluten free is not a superior form of food by nature. I mean there is nothing actually wrong with gluten. Except if you have coeliac disease.

I hope something here may be useful.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote