Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Question Making a trip to Costco…

…what should I consider buying for alternatives that will work on Phase 1?

I am rapidly approaching the realization that if I do not start on alternative products, I may no longer be able to afford our mortgage!

Therefore, I need to find alternatives that will work for me, that I can purchase at Costco, as my husband is also planning to start the diet!

I am also open to suggestions for other brick and mortar stores that sell alternatives.

I do realize there are threads on alternatives, but they are VERY long, some are old, and others, seem to focus primarily on ordering online. I am starting this thread in hopes of creating a place that we can discuss products that will work on Phase 1, and can be bought easily at national chains, in person.
zephyr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #2  
Workin' It

S/C/G: 205/186(IP)/159/150

Height: 5'6"

I buy the premier protein RTD shakes. They come in chocolate & vanilla. Plus a TON of veggies I buy bars, soup, etc. online from Nashua & Quest. Good luck...I've lost my weight using alts!
SuzieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #3  
I WILL make it this time!

S/C/G: 247/195/180

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Default Alts

I have also strayed away from the IP foods out of costs. Although I am respectful for the wealth of knowledge from my initiation fee, it is just too damned costly. So I look for the lowest sugars and carbs. I have bought the EAS LEAN bag for shakes and also Atkins ready to drink shakes with 0 sugars. Also, LOTS of leafy veggies and the such. It is still working, if not better than IP for us anyway. Started in the 240's, now just below 210. November 17 was my start date!
tonyiiiafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 153.8/142/120

Height: 5'0"

I agree with the previous posters. I began my restart on 12/30 with a combination of IP products I purchased at the start of maintenance and some alternatives.
At Costco, the Premier Protein RTD are awesome. I use some of the vanilla as my creamer in my coffee, then drink the rest later. You can get bars there, but they tend to be more restricted, so I ordered those from Nashua. I just placed an order for $100, and that plus my extra shakes and "leftovers" should last two months. They were running a NY special with 10% off plus free shipping for orders of $49 or more. If you like cheesecake, the weight loss systems cheesecake pudding is delicious, and it's unrestricted! It has a great texture. Make sure it's weight loss systems (Nashua), I've heard the others are not so great. My order had several restricteds, but also some unrestricted that work with my on-the-go life, including pretzels, drinks, and cereal (cinnamon is yum- I think it's Health Direct. You'll see if you shop). If you have one in your area, GNC has Quest bars, and many of those are on plan, just be careful-most are restricted.
I keep a copy of the IP nutrition information in the photo section of my phone and iPad for quick and easy reference, so I'm ready when I shop, even if I wasn't planning on shopping (Thanks, Lisa and Amberjules for that!)
Have fun! I found that shopping for alternatives can sometimes be a little too fun, and I need to keep myself in check. There are just so many good options!
Sansfilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #5  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

I get the rtd shakes as well as detour and pure protein bars at Costco.

Last edited by shrinkingsusie; 01-01-2014 at 10:45 AM.
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #6  
IP start date 8/1/2013

S/C/G: 195/138.6/130

Height: 4'10

EAS Carb advantage shakes chocolate fudge, vanilla and cafe caramel when I can find it.

Nashua - proti thin chocolate peanut bar
Proti diet- caramel nut bar, chocolate soy puffs, white cheddar chips, broccoli cheese soup.
nolasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I get this at Costco.... comes in both vanilla and chocolate

CytoSport 100% Whey Concentrated and isolated protein.

Stats:
1 Scoop
140 Calories
2.5 Fat
70 Cholesterol
170 Sodium
220 Potassium
3 Carb
27 Protein

75 Servings per bag $ 50 per bag = $.66 a serving
I add spinach to this and get some veggies in a green shake!!

I am using ip products -but on occasion when I need an alternative
this is what I use
I have also used the pure protein but couldn't find them at Costco
bought them at target.
mckaren4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 193/188/140

Post Sam's Club

Are there any alternative products at Sam's Club?
MonBrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckaren4 View Post
I get this at Costco.... comes in both vanilla and chocolate

CytoSport 100% Whey Concentrated and isolated protein.

Stats:
1 Scoop
140 Calories
2.5 Fat
70 Cholesterol
170 Sodium
220 Potassium
3 Carb
27 Protein

75 Servings per bag $ 50 per bag = $.66 a serving
I add spinach to this and get some veggies in a green shake!!

I am using ip products -but on occasion when I need an alternative
this is what I use
I have also used the pure protein but couldn't find them at Costco
bought them at target.
Is this the lite or the regular? For some reason I thought the Cytosport stuff was off plan…I must have read that wrong somewhere.

Pure Protein is restricted, correct?
zephyr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #10  

Pure Protein shakes are unrestricted. The bars are restricted
I found this old quote of what one poster was using:
Best bet is to compare nutritionals to ideal protein and make your own judgement:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimpchamp

EAS AdvantEDGE ready to drink "shakes" in vanilla, chocolate fudge, double chocolate, strawberry, and mocha caramel cost about $5 for a 4-pack of tetra-paks. Available at WalMart and almost every grocery store. I'd give the flavor 3 stars although I really do not like the mocha caramel at all.

Premier Nutrition ready to drink "shakes" in chocolate only cost about $24 for an 18-pack of tetra-paks. There is a coupon valid through June 5th or 6th in the Costco Coupon Book. Crazy, but my husband and I bought 20 of the 18-packs b/c at about $1 a "shake," this was an incredible deal. 180 calories and 30 grams of protein so no more than 1 per day. 4 stars for flavor.

Cytosport's Muscle Milk Protein + in vanilla or chocolate powder. Do not confuse this with regular or lite Muscle Milk. This is Protein +, available at Costco for about $28 / 40 servings. About 130 calories, 3 carbs, and some sodium and potassium. 4 stars for flavor.

Pure Protein Tri-Phase Infusion I drink this before bed b/c of its sustained release of protein lasting up to 7 hours
Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #11  

I also found this quote from Scorbett1103:

Whenever you are looking at buying alternatives, you have to check the nutritional information on EVERYTHING. I have posted here a few times what the guidelines are:

under 200 calories per serving

less than 30% total calories from fat (take the calories from fat, multiply by 3 - if it's lower than the total calories you're fine)

Less than 17g NET carbs (subtract Dietary fiber from total carbs)
8g or less NET carbs = unrestricted
9g to 15g NET carbs = restricted (once per day only)
15g to 17g NET carbs = super restricted (twice a week only)

at least 12g protein
Old 01-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #12  

I don't think I would use a drink with 30% fat-I think that was for bars.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #13  

I am fairly new to ip. I had the cytosport protein powder before I started ip. I know I will end up using alternatives at some point in time.
Sometimes even though a product satisfies the protocol-there may be a better product choices out there-I want to know what others are using. I have been spending some time reading the posts in the alternative thread.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #14  
Crusin' into a new me

S/C/G: 260/234/160 reboot

On my alternative plan, I have used Cytosport Whey shake. My results appear to be ok; I have lost 44 lbs since 9/18/13.

I order other alternatives from Nashua Nutrition at the recommendation of various posts on this site..

I stay away from restricted items for the most part and really stick to my Cyto shake mixed into my coffee every morning. Love the taste and price of this shake!
BuffieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 5'3

Hi all!

Im new to posting but have been around for a while reading posts' trying to figure this IP diet out. Im a little confused as to how one would start this DIY style. Is there a guide with basic info
as to what I should be following? TIA for your help!!
tbugs is offline   Reply With Quote