Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 11:07 AM   #1  

Default Hey There

Hello Angel Lover and Grasshopper. Oh ,to be 30 again. But then again I am not sure that is where I would like to start over. Most of my grief was after the age of 30.
I have been trying real hard to walk 4-5 times a week. I used to walk 7 days a week and put in over 4 miles at a time. The old legs are doing good to do 2 1/2 -3 miles at a time now. I have been gaining and losing the same 3 lbs for about a year now. I must do better than that.
I think that the constant working towards better health might help in the long run. I never want to get back to the weight and pain I was in again. I often wish I could stop all the medication and do things naturally. That's the price we pay for not taking better care of ourselves. All medications have side effects. I always come home after a Dr. visit and look up what he has decided to give me (to shut my mouth). If I don't like what I see. I just tell him ,I won't take it. That comes from being a nurse for so many years. He gets real mad at me. Did you know that most Dr's get kick backs for pushing medications,from the drug companies?They won't admit it ,but, I heard that they make money on every scrip they write. Now some of it is needed. But not all.I know that some Dr's forget to take us off of something when they put us on another medication. You have to watch that . Make sure they pay attention to the meds you are on. Make them talk and explain everything. You are paying them and they are not God even if they think so. They usually allot 15 minutes to a patient. Then they walk out to the next . If you aren't satisfied just say wait a minute.
Now I have had my 15 minutes... Bye, Joanne
Old 07-07-2003, 03:00 PM   #2  

I beg to disagree with you - doctors are not paid for every script they write by the drug companies. That is a libelous statement if I ever heard one.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:11 PM   #3  

Default Hey There

I simply repeated a statment about Dr's scrips that was told to me by a pharmcist. By no means did I mean to offend anyone....Joanne
Old 07-09-2003, 12:17 PM   #4  

Hi Everybody......sorry I've been gone awhile. I had a Remicade treatment, & it kinda "puts me outta sorts" for a couple of days.

Joanne...if you want to change the title of thread.....go down to the bottome of your post. Click delete.....go to post subject & change....then go to bottom & click...save changes.

Don't know all about drs & their practice, but I have had several drs & still do. I really like the ones I have. But do know when new products come out, they want to try them. I guess this is good....I just know I try to trust them. I have had some in the past though, that I simply didn't go back to....for various reasons.

Gonna keep this short today....still not feeling great. Hope all of you are doing good.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:45 PM   #5  

Default Hi

Angel Lover- I'm sorry I still don't understand how to change the title. I will wait till we get into a couple days and change it. I am still in the learning mode. I am glad at 70 I am still trying to learn.
Good that you are feeling better. I weigh in tomorrow. If I had weighed in today ,I would have had a loss. Tomorrow ,who knows. I wake up every morning and it takes a couple hours to walk straight. I am trying to walk every evening. I manage 4-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes. I used to do more.
Bye for now...Joanne
Old 07-09-2003, 03:04 PM   #6  

I'm sorry Joanne.....I told you wrong....I was more "out of it" than I realized! At the bottom of your post you click on "edit" then go to "post subject" & it will have the subjet you put in (hey,there)just replace it with what you want & go to bottom to "save changes".

It's alright like it is if you don't want to change it. It's just good for you to learn these things. Sorry you have trouble with your walking. I can walk....just not much at a time, because of the pain of RA.

Have a good evening.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:52 AM   #7  

Default Hey There

Angel Lover- Thanks but for some reason when I clicked edit I got a message that said I was not logged in. Now I don't think I could be sending this if that were so.Next time ,I will be more careful.
I walked 2 miles yesterday. It was so hot I thought I was in a steam room. It seems that after a rain it would be cooler but not so.
Hoping for a loss tonight. Weighing at the end of the day is not so good. I will just have to be careful...Joanne
Old 07-10-2003, 02:32 PM   #8  

Hi Joanne.......don't worry about changing the thread. We know what it is, anyway.

Be careful about walking in such heat....don't want anything to happen to you. You can overheat before you know it. Gee...I sound like a mother hen!!

I weighed this morning. No loss. At least, I did maintain. After holiday weekend.....I was worried. Wish you luck!!

Take care.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:12 PM   #9  

Default Hey There

Angel Lover..My scale this am said I was down 1 1/2 lbs...Tops scale said 1/2 ,.I like mine better. I'm supposed to be the mother hen . I think I am older than anyone here. (My brother says "are you older than dirt?')I have a tendency to give advice'' Just my own quirk. I am the oldest in my family. of 5 . I don't mean to insult anyone but do sometimes.. O well. What you see(read) is what you get..I have a sister just like me...She says the same thing..we love each other dearly...Joanne
Old 07-10-2003, 08:27 PM   #10  

YAYYY!!! Good weightloss!!! Proud of you!!

How much weight does that make in all? That walking is paying off. You may be older....but you sure don't seem like it!
Old 07-11-2003, 10:50 AM   #11  

Default Hey There

Angel Lover- About 4 yrs ago I lost 57 lbs. I have maintained that loss. I now want to lose another 10+ . It is so hard. I now am 152. I don't look so bad. But I want that extra loss so I can feel free to eat out sometime. I don't do that because I am so afraid of a gain. I think if I wasn't so addicted to baggy snacks ,Salty, I would do it.I hate having to give up everything. I'll get there.
I try to stay thinking younger. Some would say that is silly,But you know if you act old you will be old. I love being around younger people as well as people my age. I learn so much..
Ok ,I got to get busy. I have a appointment to get my hair trimed.
Bye for now..Thanks for the encouragement. I really will sponge it up...Joanne
Old 07-11-2003, 11:16 AM   #12  

Hi Joanne......know what you mean. I try to think young. It's hard sometimes, with so many aches & pains!

You've done great with your weightloss. I eat out quite a bit. Even while on my diet. So far, it hasn't hindered my weightloss. I have one day a week where I eat anything I want. (within reason) That way, I don't feel deprived. I order water to drink when I go out. Try to order food that won't hurt my diet too badly. If there's something I want to eat, though, I do.

I really admire you for being so dedicated. Yes, you'll do it!!

Gotta go.....enjoy your day.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:55 PM   #13  

Hi Ladies!

Sorry I've been MIA. Had a bad week...kind of blue. Walked a few miles yesterday but wasn't too smart. Should have done it when the sun was going down. Anyway...nice to know that I can still do it...muscles hurt but in a good way.

Hope you both have/had a great weekend!

Deb
Old 07-13-2003, 09:06 AM   #14  

Deb.......Hope you're feeling better. Hey....when you're feeling blue, let us know! I'll do what I can to cheer you up!

Maybe or maybe

Did I get a smile at all???? Not making fun of the blues....I have them too. I find though, if I talk, it does help. Anytime you want to talk....you can email me. (I promise, no silliness!) There's a couple of people that I email back & forth to when we're down, & it really helps. I'm sore from walking too much yesterday, also. I didn't mean to though....had some things I had to do. With RA, it makes my feet hurt.

Anyway...I hope you have a better day, today.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:30 AM   #15  

Default Hey There

Angel-Lover,Grasshopper- I am having a pretty smooth weekend. I managed to walk before the rains got here. We are getting some outflow from Claudet. I haven't had the TV on yet but I heard it is heading to Texas/Mexico. It was steaming and no sun out.
I got up this AM and as usual had to wait/work out the kinks. Like a lot of people that are piling on the years. I am fine after I move around some. 2-3 mugs of coffee helps too. My daughter always says infuse me with Barnys Chocolate Mint or Maxwell House. Sometimes I blend them together. My doctor would have a fit. What he doesn't know won't hurt him/me.
You all stay healthy and feel better. When you get blue. Grab a CD player or tape machine with some energy music and go walking. Go shopping!Spend a lot of money! Joanne
Closed Thread