South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 05:45 PM   #1  

Default Thinking about ordering the SB diet book

I got a mailing today from Prevention about the SB diet. I have a postcard to send away for a 21-day free trial. If I want to keep the book, I would pay 3 payments of $9.99. I can't afford the book but am thinking about sending away and then returning it if I don't like it.

I've been reading alot about it on the internet and it sounds like what I need. I've lost weight on WW but have been in a rut for awhile. I have about 10 more lbs I want to lose. My only downfall is carbs and caffeine, but I'm thinking about giving it a try.

is the first 2 weeks really that difiicult? I can understand limiting carbs the first 2 weeks, but why does the diet limit caffeine?
Old 07-05-2003, 09:00 PM   #2  
it's always something

As a penny-pincher (i.e. cheapskate ) I would like to mention that you can get it for $15.71, including free shipping from buy.com. There are links in the thread "Buying the South Beach Diet Book" at the top of this section. If you don't want to keep it, you can sell it on Half.com, as you can get what you paid for it there right now. Then you won't have to lose the shipping fees if you return it to Prevention.

The first two weeks were only difficult for me the first day, and not really difficult then. Everyone's experience will be different, of course, but knowing you can run back here to ask questions or get support really helped me. I loaned my book to my sister, so I can't look up the comment on caffeine. I found an online quote from him that said "We do suggest limiting caffeine intake since it may stimulate insulin from the pancreas thereby exacerbating hypoglycemia". However, I do recall that in the book, he said in his opinion, the amount was minimal, so he thought that it would be ok to have your morning caffeine if you really wanted it. I personally would limit it to caffeine in the mornings, and decaf if you drink it later in the day.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:14 PM   #3  

Thank you Suzanne for the reply and for the info on the cost of the book. I have a paid postage label for the book so if I don't like it I can return it in 21 days and don't have to pay postage for returning it. I think I will go ahead and do the free trial and then return it. If I really like it then I will go ahead and buy the book someplace else. I hate to purchase the book if I'm not going to use it. Thanks again for the info!
Old 07-06-2003, 10:29 AM   #4  

I have found parts of every day difficult in the first 7 days but as long as I just ride it out, I'm fine. I've been absolutely OP the entire 7 days and lost 7 lbs. Sometimes during the day I just really fantasize about bread and pasta. But I let it pass and go on with whatever I'm doing. Then I have some ricotta and Splenda and I'm fine. The first two weeks is like a "flushout" and once you commit to it and just do it, it's over with (I'm halfway done). I figure if I don't just stick to it and get through the 14 days I'll have to do it over and over and over again. No Way! I want to do it once and be done with it!

You won't be sorry.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:04 AM   #5  

Agb,

Hello and welcome.

Personally, I think you are going to want to have the book if you are going to start this way of living. First, it is a reference tool and second, half of it is full of recipes which are all very useful. Mine is always on my kitchen counter.

Just my opinion...hope it helps.

Meg
Closed Thread