Old 11-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 245.6/CW 203/GW 170

Talking First Thanksgiving on IP...

... was a success! I went to my cousin's house for dinner, and because I couldn't eat a lot of things, I made oven roasted zucchini and summer squash with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and garlic & herb seasoning, and had that on the side with some turkey. I was originally going to make up a veggie platter, but didn't have that much money or time to do it. However, once dessert came around, it was EXCRUCIATING for me to stay away from it. There was apple pie, pumpkin pie, pumpkin mousse, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, brownies; you name it, it was on that counter. I wanted to cave in SO BAD, and came very close to it more than once... but did what I've been doing when I got tempted: look at the desserts, take a nice big whiff, and walk away with my hands behind my back. My boyfriend made sure I didn't give up and give in. Not being able to eat any of that made me very depressed, but I'm happy that I didn't give in, because I would've not want to face the scale on Sunday morning. Went home afterwards, and had eggs for dinner. 2 cups of veggies (mushrooms, yellow pepper, asparagus, garlic). I put onions in there, too, but left them raw and added them in after cooking everything else. I do 4 whole eggs, and instead of the egg whites, I put in 2 strips of uncured bacon. That and a bar for my snack, made my Thanksgiving a good one, despite the obstacles!
scottysgirl7682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/162/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottysgirl7682 View Post
... was a success! I went to my cousin's house for dinner, and because I couldn't eat a lot of things, I made oven roasted zucchini and summer squash with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and garlic & herb seasoning, and had that on the side with some turkey. I was originally going to make up a veggie platter, but didn't have that much money or time to do it. However, once dessert came around, it was EXCRUCIATING for me to stay away from it. There was apple pie, pumpkin pie, pumpkin mousse, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, brownies; you name it, it was on that counter. I wanted to cave in SO BAD, and came very close to it more than once... but did what I've been doing when I got tempted: look at the desserts, take a nice big whiff, and walk away with my hands behind my back. My boyfriend made sure I didn't give up and give in. Not being able to eat any of that made me very depressed, but I'm happy that I didn't give in, because I would've not want to face the scale on Sunday morning. Went home afterwards, and had eggs for dinner. 2 cups of veggies (mushrooms, yellow pepper, asparagus, garlic). I put onions in there, too, but left them raw and added them in after cooking everything else. I do 4 whole eggs, and instead of the egg whites, I put in 2 strips of uncured bacon. That and a bar for my snack, made my Thanksgiving a good one, despite the obstacles!
Good for you! It's not easy, but so worth it!
Coreyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/139.5/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Congratulations! I did the same and then proceeded to wash dishes and clean up in order to stay away from all the food, although I was the guest!.It feels good this morning to know that I can and did stay away from temptation.My only problem is a mother in law who thinks I am too thin now and trying to feed me..lol!
katenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #4  
I WILL make it this time!

S/C/G: 247/195/180

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Default Tgiving

Quote:
Sounds great! However, I do not believe that Summer squash (yellow) is on the list of approved veggies? Just green (zucchini)? Please inform me if I am incorrect. We just stayed home this year and visited afterwards. Yes, it was tough, but we made it through and now just have two more, Christmas and New Years to deal with.
tonyiiiafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #5  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyiiiafl View Post
Sounds great! However, I do not believe that Summer squash (yellow) is on the list of approved veggies? Just green (zucchini)? Please inform me if I am incorrect. We just stayed home this year and visited afterwards. Yes, it was tough, but we made it through and now just have two more, Christmas and New Years to deal with.
Congrats to everyone for staying OP!

Yellow summer squash is allowed. It's the winter squash that's not OP (butternut, acorn, etc.).
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #6  

Default Sumer Squash not allowed by coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Congrats to everyone for staying OP!

Yellow summer squash is allowed. It's the winter squash that's not OP (butternut, acorn, etc.).
Just got back from weekly weigh in. Lost another 5 LBS. That was 11 the first week and another 5 this week. However, here is an interesting tidbit. When I try new foods, I use a Ketostick urine test to see how I am doing. I have been in moderate Ketosis for the 2 week stretch, EXCEPT I fell off Ketosis after eating Summer Squash! My coach was surprised that at week 2 I had only lost 5 lbs, because I have been on the absolute straight and narrow. NO cheating at all. She checked my journal and said yellow squash was not on the approved list, and she also feels that is what knocked me off my Ketosis and also curbed my weigh tloss.

Maybe some coaches allow yellow squash? Certainly not this one! OK, ready for week 3! So far I have OFFICIALLY lost 16 LBS and 7.5"'s. That is a total of 22 lbs so far. BRING IT ON!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #7  

Yellow crooked neck summer squash is a type of zucchini.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #8  

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Yellow crooked neck summer squash is a type of zucchini.
I agree, but from the absolute guidlines of IP, not specifically allowed. Just green squash. OH well, I tossed out my 3 remaining and will continue forward. Let's see how I do this week!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #9  

Quote:
I agree, but from the absolute guidlines of IP, not specifically allowed. Just green squash. OH well, I tossed out my 3 remaining and will continue forward. Let's see how I do this week!
Nope. The P1 sheet says "zucchini"
It doesn't say yellow or green.
If you check nutritional stats for the two, they are almost identical.

This is lack of knowledge on the part of a coach.

So is the BS about a coach being "surprised" someone "only" lost 5 lbs the 2nd week, or encouraging people to use ketostix. I would run FAST away from such a coach and find one that knows what they are doing!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #10  
Started IP 6/12/13

S/C/G: 244/177/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I've been eating summer squash all throughout IP, the nutritional values are close to green cabbage. OK per multiple coaches. Much more likely that you are still in ketosis because the ketostix are inaccurate.
bimnd113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #11  

Height: 5'2

Quote:

So is the BS about a coach being "surprised" someone "only" lost 5 lbs the 2nd week, or encouraging people to use ketostix. I would run FAST away from such a coach and find one that knows what they are doing!
I'll second that Lisa! I've had a couple times where I've only lost 1ish lbs at my WI's and my coach has NEVER been disappointed in the lower loss. She is super encouraging and focuses on the measurements and body fat/lean mass readings. She took photos at the 6 week mark to show me the difference in the way I look. I would be out the door if my coach was disappointed in a 5 lb loss!!!
stephascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #12  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
When I try new foods, I use a Ketostick urine test to see how I am doing. I have been in moderate Ketosis for the 2 week stretch, EXCEPT I fell off Ketosis after eating Summer Squash!
Just want to add to the excellent information you've already received. The "degree" of ketosis you are in is really irrelevant. You are either in ketosis or you aren't. When you use the sticks makes a difference too (if you want to keep using them). Your body gets very efficient at using keotones so you can measure as none even when you are still in ketosis since they aren't only eliminated through urine. If you're going to use them, the first pee of the morning is usually best since there's less chance of your urine being diluted from all the water you're drinking.

I've never used the sticks - if you're 100% you are in ketosis.

And any coach that is surprised you "only" lost 16 pounds in 2 weeks is not very well informed. That's 8 pounds a week which is a huge success by any measure! You should be proud that you've done so well, that is outstanding!

Last edited by Ruth Ann; 12-03-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #13  

Quote:

To rephrase this, she was surprised I went from 11 pounds to 5, she said most drop to 7 then 5. As for the Ketostix, I found that information here and tried it, it was not from the coash. As per the protocol, this is what I have been going by as for the squash'

"Vegetables

Algae, Alfalfa, Arugula, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage (red, pak choi, bok choy), Celery, Celeriac, Chocory, Collards, Cress, Cucumbers, Dill Pickels, Endive, Fennel, Field Salad, Green Onions, Kale, Kohlrabi, Leeks, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions (raw only) Hot Peppers, Radicchio, Radish, Rhubarb, Rutabaga, Sauerkraut, Sorrel, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Turnip, Watercress, Zucchini.

Occasional (You must choose only two per week from this list)

Brussel Sprouts, Beans (green and wax), Egg Plant, Palm Hearts, Snow Peas, Swede, Tomato.

Not Permitted - Artichoke, Avacado, Beets, Carrots, Chick Peas, Corn, Olives, Parsnips, Peas, (all) Potatoes, Pumpkin, Sweet Corn, Squash, Yams.

Info from here:http://www.idealweightlossclinic.com.../phase-1-list/
Old 12-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Just want to add to the excellent information you've already received. The "degree" of ketosis you are in is really irrelevant. You are either in ketosis or you aren't. When you use the sticks makes a difference too (if you want to keep using them). Your body gets very efficient at using keotones so you can measure as none even when you are still in ketosis since they aren't only eliminated through urine. If you're going to use them, the first pee of the morning is usually best since there's less chance of your urine being diluted from all the water you're drinking.

I've never used the sticks - if you're 100% you are in ketosis.

And any coach that is surprised you "only" lost 16 pounds in 2 weeks is not very well informed. That's 8 pounds a week which is a huge success by any measure! You should be proud that you've done so well, that is outstanding!
Ruthann, I AM proud of myself and everyone who embarks on this type of diet journey. It is by far the hardest and also the most rewarding and I think we all deserve the high five. It is very followable, but also a very strict regime. Stick to it? you will be successful! "WAY TO GO US!"
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #15  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
To rephrase this, she was surprised I went from 11 pounds to 5, she said most drop to 7 then 5. As for the Ketostix, I found that information here and tried it, it was not from the coash. As per the protocol, this is what I have been going by as for the squash'

"Vegetables

Algae, Alfalfa, Arugula, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage (red, pak choi, bok choy), Celery, Celeriac, Chocory, Collards, Cress, Cucumbers, Dill Pickels, Endive, Fennel, Field Salad, Green Onions, Kale, Kohlrabi, Leeks, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions (raw only) Hot Peppers, Radicchio, Radish, Rhubarb, Rutabaga, Sauerkraut, Sorrel, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Turnip, Watercress, Zucchini.

Occasional (You must choose only two per week from this list)

Brussel Sprouts, Beans (green and wax), Egg Plant, Palm Hearts, Snow Peas, Swede, Tomato.

Not Permitted - Artichoke, Avacado, Beets, Carrots, Chick Peas, Corn, Olives, Parsnips, Peas, (all) Potatoes, Pumpkin, Sweet Corn, Squash, Yams.

Info from here:http://www.idealweightlossclinic.com.../phase-1-list/
Quote:
Ruthann, I AM proud of myself and everyone who embarks on this type of diet journey. It is by far the hardest and also the most rewarding and I think we all deserve the high five. It is very followable, but also a very strict regime. Stick to it? you will be successful! "WAY TO GO US!"
My coach told me green zucchini and yellow summer squash are both totally acceptable. They are nearly identical nutrition-wise and the only real difference is the yellow has larger seeds. I have been using them interchangeably since starting IP with my coach's blessing.

IP is a strict diet but the results are sooooooooooo worth it!