Old 11-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #1  

Unhappy Sadly, I'm back

This is the deal: Thru your help, determination, and downright control, 2 yrs ago via the Ideal Protein diet, I lost 43 lbs. This year I have had 3 surgeries and an introduction to a horrible thing called Shingles. I am past the Shingles, but guess what? ALL the weight has come back. I did the whole beat-me-up things for a few months and then got over it. I am back on IP, but I have having real problems with getting hungry late at night. I am following the diet to the letter. Drinking all the water, standing firm to the rules, but around 11pm (the worst time!), my resolve dissolves and I have an IP bar. Last night I went up almost 2 lbs. I need a cheerleader here ladies/gentleman. This is no longer an aesthetic thing for me, it's for my health. Please help me to get past this. All of "I know I can do it" doesn't help. I look to the future and talk to myself about my health, the benefits, that I've done this before so I know I can do it again. None of this helps. It's like my mind won't listen. Please help.

Pam
pdsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

What a challenging year you've had. I wonder if doing some journaling at night about what you are thinking/ feeling may help. I can only speak from my own experience but a diet plan is only part of the solution. I see a therapist to help figure out the emotional piece and have found it helpful. Good luck with your journey.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #3  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

I drank non caffeinated sweet and spicy herbal tea to help with the hunger. Maybe you could join a gym class as motivation. It sounds like a hard year for you. You were successful on IP and you can do it again. Hugs.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #4  
Just doin' it!

S/C/G: 176/153/135

Height: 5'3"

First of all Welcome Back!! So sorry about all you have been through. Our minds are our own worst enemy sometimes. I agree with Jenny's post, you might need a little extra help this time as many have found out. I sure do wish we had a magic switch for our dang brains to cooperate!
airportchick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Maybe if you experiment with having a little more protein at dinner time it will hold you over through the night and you won't need that 11 PM snack. I'm not real familiar with IP so I don't know if that would be permitted.
Wannabehealthy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #6  
restart 5/27/14

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm pretty new so who am I to suggested anything but, the first several weeks I was very hungry. I started drinking a whole bottle of water and going to bed an hour early. I figured if I was asleep I wouldn't be sitting here thinking about food. It got me through. I too drink a cup of hot tea at night. I have a 0/0/0 chia tea. It's tasty enough to be like a snack.
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #7  

Hi I'm Lisa. Ready to cheerlead.

I have several questions.
Can you go to bed so you don't eat? Typcially we are bored and it is our MINDS that are hungry.
Can you have some herbal tea?
OR
Can you save a bar (or part of one) for that time?

When are you eating your other meals? What is your schedule?

I've learned I want to eat if I get too hungry, angry, lonely (bored), or tired (HALT).
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #8  

I am also back at IP...I call it I PEE, because that has become a hobby of mine now...2 years ago I lost 76 pounds..and when I was done with IP in the Gym everyday for an hour because I wasn't going to be that guy...I started eating junk...broke my foot and quit going to the gym , and before I knew it I became that guy and gained 76 pounds back..
So after a lot of denial I picked myself up and went back to IP with my head between my legs, though hard to do 76 lbs heavier..
I have been back one week and lost 14 lbs..I am so much better at this than before, I know what I like and don't..yes I get hungry sometimes at night and during the day..I always have a cup of tea with my snack at night and drink a lot of water with MIO drops throughout the day....I.E I PEE...and never ever eat past 8pm..I get through it by remembering how I felt 76 lbs ago and how horrible I felt 2 weeks ago..I have been reading this sight for a few years and never registered until today because of you...Hang in there and WE will get through this...

Last edited by eskmo; 11-25-2013 at 02:30 PM.
eskmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #9  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Welcome back eskmo and Pam!!!!!

The best thing is that you are back..you can't look back in regret. The only time that matters is now. You know from experience that the first week is the hardest...give yourself time.

Herbal tea suggestion is excellent. I drink about four herbal teas a day and it really does help to drink warm water for digestion and relaxation.

Eat a lot of veggies or dill pickles when you are hungry. Eat an extra unrestricted pack if you are starving. Keep your goals in the forefront of your mind. Post pics of you when you were thinner on your fridge to remind yourself where you want to be.

If you want it, you will get it. You can do it!
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #10  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsmall View Post
This is the deal: Thru your help, determination, and downright control, 2 yrs ago via the Ideal Protein diet, I lost 43 lbs. This year I have had 3 surgeries and an introduction to a horrible thing called Shingles. I am past the Shingles, but guess what? ALL the weight has come back. I did the whole beat-me-up things for a few months and then got over it. I am back on IP, but I have having real problems with getting hungry late at night. I am following the diet to the letter. Drinking all the water, standing firm to the rules, but around 11pm (the worst time!), my resolve dissolves and I have an IP bar. Last night I went up almost 2 lbs. I need a cheerleader here ladies/gentleman. This is no longer an aesthetic thing for me, it's for my health. Please help me to get past this. All of "I know I can do it" doesn't help. I look to the future and talk to myself about my health, the benefits, that I've done this before so I know I can do it again. None of this helps. It's like my mind won't listen. Please help.

Pam
Pam, try using self affirmations. Say them to yourself everyday. It really isn't mumbo jumbo. Write a self affirming statement on your fridge or mirror. I deserve to look good and lose weight. Maybe you just don't believe it or are self sabotaging yourself. I was hungry for the last two weeks and couldn't figure it out. I realize mostly it was because I was bored, stressed, etc.. I needed to find other things to do and keep busy with. I'm just shooting out some ideas here. Take what you will okay. I know people with shingles and it can be depressing.. just keep trying your best to stick with the program and you will see results okay.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Hi - I'm right here with you! Pre Tgiving and Tgiving leftovers. I have convinced DH, it's just us now that DS went back to DC on Sunday, to get rid of them. But I have to get rid of the extra canned goods cuz at that bewitching hour, 9pm or so, it is something I might eat. They're not horrible but not phase 1. DH is frugal. I don't think he would throw them out. If I throw them out - seriously, cuz they're in cans I might dig them out and wash the cans! When I'm trying to get on phase 1, I have to treat non phase 1 items like it's crack cocaine!

So, I need some cheer leading/a$$ kicking too!
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #12  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I ate a hard boiled egg and dill pickle(s) as a mid afternoon snack. Then, I timed dinner so I would be able to eat my bar as a snack at night. I would never be able to do this if I hadn't had a "dessert" to look forward to after dinner at night. I usually ate my bar at 7:45. I would watch the clock sometimes, waiting for my snack time. I never allowed myself to eat my bar before that time. It helped me immensely.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Hi!

Some great ideas. I'm going to try the tea. I can't drink too much before bed though.

I totally agree about the HALT! Maybe that's what I'll tell myself tonight - just HALT! Although it's not food hunger, usually but any kind of hunger. I

Pam - my DH had shingles. I've seen him break bones (skiing, falling off a ladder) and he calmly says, "It's broken. I have to go to the hospital." He has a high pain tolerance. He's also had some major medical treatments but the thing where he actually took the prescribed pain meds and he was still in pain - shingles. Much sympathy.

Jenny - started to journal back in the 90s when I bought Bob Green's book. It came with a journal. Sometimes I didn't write anything for months and I don't write in it daily but it is helpful to keep track of weight gain, triggers and successes - what I ate that worked, that I can stick to. I also see a therapist. Life can be hard, painful, complicated. Putting it on paper (or computer) and/or talking it through with someone unbiased (and wise) is very helpful.

Meeting friends for preplanned "girls night out" dinner. It is very IP friendly. And I think I'll order herbal tea if anyone orders dessert!

Positive affirmation - WE CAN DO IT AGAIN!

Loved all these suggestions/reminders...Thank you!
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote