Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Everyone else lost weight

So at a work sight I came into contact with some colleagues I haven't seen in about 9months. Three of them have actually lost weight, none were as overweight as I am but they're all very thin now. I'm glad for them it just made me realize how unsuccessful I've been even with a few pounds of weightloss.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
So at a work sight I came into contact with some colleagues I haven't seen in about 9months. Three of them have actually lost weight, none were as overweight as I am but they're all very thin now. I'm glad for them it just made me realize how unsuccessful I've been even with a few pounds of weightloss.
First....

Second....no. You have not been unsuccessful. Everyone loses weight at different rates. Barring that, you've been doing the slow and steady method, including exercise, toning up, getting healthier, and have maintained what you have lost. I secretly stalk you and I've seen your progress...you have not failed. You have not been unsuccessful. You have not given up.

When losing weight, remember that you actually want to lose fat, not weight. Weight loss can come from anywhere, muscles, bone, water, ect. Fat loss comes from fat loss. Have you lost weight? Or have you lost fat? And what about your co-workers?

You also point out they were not as overweight as you. You do realize that the less you weight, the more "weight loss" is noticeable? When you have less to lose so it stands out more. I lost 50 pounds before anyone asked if I lost 5 or 10 pounds. My best friend? She lost 5 and everyone asked if she lost 20. Not to mention, we all are our own worst critics. When I look in the mirror, I still see the 300 pound woman staring back at me. My co-workers that don't see me daily barely recognize me. We all perceive things worse than they truly are.

Don't beat your self up. You are doing great. Stay the course and you will get there, healthier, happier, better.

Last edited by zoesmom; 11-08-2013 at 08:12 AM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

I don't know if your profile stats (which have you losing 20 lbs) or your ticker stats (which have you losing 17 lbs) are the correct ones, but either way you've lost a lot of lbs and you should be proud of every single one. As zoesmom pointed out, the lower in weight you get, the more noticeable any weight loss will be. It's the paper towel theory: Take sheets off a new roll and you don't notice it. Take the same number of sheets off a smaller roll, and it's very noticeable. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are successful. Continue to be.

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 11-08-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I think you are going to get a lot of great encouraging advice here.

Another thought of mine, when I went through a similar circumstance back just a bit below my heighest weight, was... "what are they doing different?".

For me, it was that I thought a lot about losing weight, I thought about plans, had the perfect plan, etc. but when it came to actually CONSISTENTLY sticking to it, day in day out, for months on end, is where I wasn't doing the same thing as then.

And so I used it as my wakeup call. I'm not familiar with your personal circumstances of diet and exercise, plateauing or whatever, but that is what my issue was.

So while i was proud of my 5-10lbs lost, I used it as the moment where I could no longer keep thinking and had to actually buckle down and consistently do.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #5  

I'm basically at a plateau. Yes I've lost some weight and kept it off but I've been pretty consistently around 200 since having a baby... 2yrs ago! If I were to update my ticker every day it would be a pendulum. It's basically right.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

Hello Wannabeskinny

You've lost 20lbs and that's great if you're happy with where you are now. If not, you're an intelligent, resourceful woman who knows how to get rid of the next 20lbs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #7  
diamondgeog

I think from previous posts you are doing low carb which I believe is a solid choice. It is the best choice for me. If you have staid around 200 though for 2 years then you probably need some new combination of things.

I think of weight loss as a three-legged stool: cardio, strength, diet. I am most successful when doing all three.

Perhaps up the exercise intensity? Sometimes intensity is the missing link, not so much time. Also I found something just different and good about running. I NEVER ran in my life. I was always very active and played a variety of sports and could hike for miles, 20 or so when thinner.

But I could not run. But I said enough I am going to conquer that. I got to the end of week 5 on a C25K and then pulled my calf playing tennis. I will get back to it in a couple of weeks. Running was crazy good for getting over plateaus. It is almost like if you are going to run your body says I am just going to shed this weight.

If I could run anyone can. In July of this year I could not go a third of a block. I am serious just COULD...NOT...RUN. My last run before the leg injury had an 8 minute run. I did it.

Do blood work if you can and see if you are missing anything in your diet or it points to anything.

And when you do loose be happy with a reasonable rate. One lb a week I think is awesome. I want to get down to 200. If I can do that in 35 weeks from now, I would be over the moon.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #8  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

That's self defeating and you know it. Taking off and keeping off 20 pounds is hard work. Maybe use this as a push to gear yourself up for the next 20?
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #9  

You're right newleaf, I'm trying to keep that in mind. I've never gone up to my highest weight again and it's been years. Time to start trusting myself a little.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

If you're not satisfied, something has to change. Sacha's advice was right on the money and don't sell yourself short - maintenance is hard! I've had a year here and there where I've only lost a few pounds or maintained, and that's a far cry better than most folks who gain every year that passes or yoyo mercilessly!

If you want to lose some weight, consistency is needed more than perfection, in my experience. But you probably already know this. Figure out, on what level, you've been giving yourself permission to undermine your goals of losing weight. Uproot and fix that, or accept maintenance as good enough. It's either that, not regain. And that's not an option, right?

Comparing does no good, it just deflates and defeats you. This is YOUR body, and your choices. Make the ones that support your goals and put blinders on to everything else. I think that is wisest.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

I have had the same experience. Four or five of my fat friends have lost significant amounts of weight. Exciting for them. But it's hard to just be excited for them without also feeling inadequate.

But you know what? I know lots and lots of people who have gained, and lots more who are trying to lose weight and not succeeding. The comparison game just isn't helpful.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #12  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Hugs!!!!!

You can't compare yourself to other people, everyone is different.

But if you want to start losing again, you might need to try something different. First, see the doctor and make sure there isn't anything physically wrong (you've probably already done this, but if you haven't gone in the past year go again and have a complete round of tests). Second, add something new. It could be a new exercise or it could be a new diet, just something that would shake things up and get you excited again.

Now when I say new diet, I don't mean change your core eating profile ... I've seen enough of your posts to know you have a great handle on what your body needs to stay in equilibrium. But sometimes trying a new set of recipes can really get things going again. If you can afford it, I really recommend trying a diet class, for me, the sense of competition really helps keep me motivated.

As for adding a new exercise, keep doing what you are doing, but add to it. Hopefully you are doing a mix of cardio and strength training ... if not, add the one you aren't doing. If you are doing both, try adding something different.

Good luck! I can't imagine how painful this must be for you. But I know you can break through!!!! Twenty pounds is awesome!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #13  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

I always remember "Don't compare your middle to another persons end."

I've finally found a WOE that's working for me and has stopped my binges and overeating, and I have found exercise that makes me happy and works for me.

So now I'm on a long journey to just actually get the weight off. It would be no good if I looked at other people who've lost their weight already and thought "Oh man I'm still so fat" or "Oh god it's going to take so long to get where they are" because they've reached a different leg of their journey with health. I need to focus on each step, not each mile, because looking too far ahead would make anyone stop and go "What's the point?"

Well, we all know the point is that if you're not moving forward you're staying in the same place, which is infinitely better than turning around and going back, but taking a step forward is the best you can do.
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote