Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default NSV or not? Lab results.....

So I had my annual blood test last week. I have been working out and eating better since May. I've lost 40-45 lbs and feel great. I am even doing a C25K program. My blood pressure is better.

I use to have high triglycerides and borderline high cholesterol and low HDL or good cholesterol.

Well I had some mixed news. My triglycerides are way down to 79 mg/dl. My overall cholesterol is 128 mg/dl. But my HDL is 28 and it is supposed to be at least 40. My LDL is 84.

Edit: I just noticed on the comprehensive metabolic panel my glucose was 100 which is right on the border high. And diabetes runs in my family.

All the numbers are in the optimal range except the HDL. Any suggestions for that? Exercise more? Last month I have gone down a little? Continue to eat well? I do slip up from time to time and eat out too much which probably means too much sodium. Could sodium be a cause?

Overall I suppose I should be pretty excited? I just thought they would all be good now. But getting the triglycerides down has me psyched.

That 100 glucose has me a bit freaked though. Well I am going to turn into more motivation to keep losing weight and exercising.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 10-08-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Congrats on the Triglicerides, mine are a touch high. I think it takes time for the numbers to even out sometimes.

I'm not sure what type of plan you have going on, but I'd definitely research more if I were you on the types of foods that will help you get that glucose under control. I don't think HDL has anything to do with sodium.
BUT that will affect blood pressure which is always good to keep in check (mine is high). I think they really recommend increasing exercise, nixing all transfats, increasing the "good" MUFA's (mono unsaturated fatty acids) like in olive oil or MY personal fave moderated amounts of peanut butter. {yum} And fiber fiber fiber....

There are some others , but thats generally the advice I've seen repeatedly.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #3  
diamondgeog

I am going to ask my doctor about niacin. I did find some good news my ratio of total to HDL is 4.7. Under 5 is good. But still not happy with the low HDL.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #4  

Height: 6-1.5

Hi, magnesium is said to raise HDL. It also regulates blood sugars. Why not look it up and see what you think?
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #5  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations -- you have made improvements, and I am sure you will continue to do so!! Here is a very timely post from a blog that I love. It's written by a doctor with lots of healthy living recipes and advice. Her most recent post was aptly titled Understanding Your Cholesterol Profile. Link below:

http://drsukol.teachmed.com/2013/10/...l-profile.aspx
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #6  
diamondgeog

Thanks for the link on the profile.

Well that doctor might want to meet me.

"What else makes HDL go down? Trans fat. That’s where fast food comes in. When I see an extremely low HDL, like in the 20s, I can pretty much guarantee that my friend spends lunch hours in the drive-thru at McBurger Ranchero. Or maybe they grab a couple of Glazin’ Donuts on their way to work every morning. No two ways about it; any combination of deep-fried, trans-fat patties, corn syrup, “processed cheese food,” and white flour is a prescription for a heart attack."

I can guarantee them I have cut all of that out and I still got a 28. But my triglycerides are way below what they were mentioning. So it has me a bit confused. Except I am going to continue to exercise if not more and try to cut down on red-meats more and eating out less.

Especially certain restaurants (not fast food), but I do still go to Mexican and have chips. I don't eat bread anymore or pasta but somehow let myself have those chips. I know aside from those trips I eat pretty well (ie work and home). But yeah kick in the pants to tackle the restaurant thing, one of my 'final frontiers'.

Maybe I have the genetic component if my triglycerides are low? I don't know. But I do have to keep realizing, and I do, that even though I feel great I am still obese BMI wise. And well into it also. I know BMI is too simple but I still want to get to 200 at least (eventually). 220 would be huge for me.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 10-08-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on good news!

Definitely keep an eye on your blood sugar, good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #8  
not looking back

S/C/G: 196/150

Height: 5'7

my hdl raised 10 pts with adding niacin....remember it all depends on your genetic make-up if it works or not and take your niacin at night due to flushing.
smith1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/147

Height: 5'8"

Agree with gisselley...I would definitely look into Magnesium as well. I figured out I was magnesium deficient about 10 years ago. Once I supplemented my diet with a calcium-magnesium supplement my blood sugar levels stabilized and my migraines, that I suffered with for years, all but disappeared. I have read about the positive affect it has on HDL as well. Best of luck and congrats on taking control of your health! Keep on movin' in that direction!
konablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #10  
diamondgeog

Thanks. I will try the magnesium. I actually have some at home already. I was going to try the niacin but it has been known to raise blood sugar. Mine wasn't good.

I did fast, but I happened to have one of my worst meals in the last 5 months the night before the lab work. Huge meal at a Mexican restaurant. It was family and friends and it happens. But that was about 12 hours before blood being drawn.

In any event magnesium sounds like a good thing to try. And as I reflect getting my triglycerides down so much, I need to be really psyched about that.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #11  
diamondgeog

Just wanted to say thanks again about the magnesium comments. My wife is taking it as well. My blood profile pointed a lot to having a deficiency. And I read a lot about it. Seems like a critical mineral many people are not getting enough of.

And even the highest rated ones are really not that expensive.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008/...quences_01.htm