Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Default Food everywhere! (and new bad habits)

So I have been maintaining for months, sort of by choice in that while I have been eating maintenance calories, I have at the same time thought "tomorrow I'll get back on the wagon" over and over again. So while eating more, I have gotten in the habit of eating while I travel. I take a lot of public transportation and I had started snacking while on the go. I'd pick up a baked good or juice or bag of popcorn near the streetcar stop and eat it while waiting or while traveling. This is a very new habit, like about 3 weeks, but I am finding it a struggle to get rid of. I. Have only been back on plan for two days (only two days but at the same time, woot! Two days! That's more than I've strung together for a while) but those have been hard faught for. There is food everywhere in Toronto! Last night I got rejected by my date (it was only the second date so no great loss but...) and I wanted a hotdog SO BADLY! Tonight on my way to a concert I passed a hotdog stand, a bakery, a guy handing out free samples of chocolate, a Tim Horton's not to mention all the restaurants, but those are less tempting cuz I'm on the go. But O.M.G.! There is food everywhere!
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #2  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Congratulations on your jump back on the wagon! Keep up the great work!

Food can be so tempting. How about if you always carry a snack with you, one that is nutritious and yummy, so that you have an alternative on hand for when that temptation strikes?

Do you count points or calorie count? Then I would also include that snack in those totals, making yourself accountable for your choices.

Also carry water. I find that guzzling water sometimes distracts my mouth/taste buds/stomach from tempting food.

Lastly, how about some plain tea (including herbal/fruit)? No sugar, no milk, no calories -- just flavoured warm liquid that will fill you and give you taste and a chance to 'purchase out', without the caloric effect.

I can imagine how tempting it is. You are doing so well in trying to break the new cycle. You can definitely do this! Good luck, and I can't wait to hear about your success down the road!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #3  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I've had problems with that too. I think the other posters gave good advice. I've also found it helpful to try to keep in mind the relatively low nutritional value of a lot of those sorts of food.

Last edited by theox; 09-21-2013 at 09:28 AM.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

What I can't stand is the proliferation of candy (my downfall) in all types of stores now at the registers. It's everywhere!

We can do this...

I try to remind myself that it's there because its in the store's best interest, not mine.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #5  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

You know that saying for getting over a break up? "The quickest way to get over someone is to get under someone else."

Well, I don't apply that philosophy to my love life but I do apply it to my food life. When I get into a fattening food, I combat that by falling madly in love with something healthier. Then I keep that healthy option on me (if feasible) so that when I'm tempted by something else, I can indulge in that.

Sometimes it's the desire for novelty and variety that triggers new bad eating habits. But that desire can be satisfied with delicious healthy things too.

Last edited by crispin; 09-21-2013 at 01:13 PM.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #6  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamoco350 View Post
Sometimes I cave in and sometimes I can be resilient and ignore the free milkshake coupon in my wallet (yes, I really have one! lol).
You are a stronger person than I am! That coupon woulda been redeemed pronto. Milkshakes are one of my favorite "bad" foods.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #7  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
I try to remind myself that it's there because its in the store's best interest, not mine.
Ooh, I like that.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Great stuff everybody!
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #9  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

There have been times I make sure I have no extra cash on hand for treats, empty out the wallet except for what's needed for transportation. Congrats on getting back on the wagon!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote