Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 11:58 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default ThursDay Almost the Weekend!!

I think I patted myself on the back too much about my Healthy lifestyle adoption
because Tonight (its 10 too midnight) I crashed and Burned It was to hot to cookthe healthy chicken still have marinating in the fridge and my mom wanted chinese
It was just bad and I have a carb hangover I had steamed wontons beef and broc some Gen Tso's
and 3 cookies while I was still feeling sick and full
The wise choices I made during dinner was A I didn't eat Rice (which send me intoa binge) and B The majority of what I ate was veggies I love Broccoli but still I feel like a bloated blowfish and am going to have to drink an ocean of water tommorrow to make up for it.
No More WallowingI'm heading to bed and I'm goign to get up in the AM and Kick some Healthy ARse!
And Cook my healthy Chicken in the AM and dammit we can have cold chicken for Lunch!
HAve a great Morning Girls I will be back in a few hours
Old 06-26-2003, 09:01 AM   #2  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Hey girls..I've been super busy, but I really wanted to come and post today.

Kier, carb hangovers are no fun at all, are they? Back in induction for you, my friend...that will knock those cravings right out.

Everyone else, I've been lurking to try to keep up. I'm just at my computer late these days...I'm teaching during the day and on my days off I'm trying to get as much golf in as possible...boy are my forearms building up. Then in the afternoon, Aaron and I have been hanging out at the pool. The summers in Minnesota are so short and sweet, I just feel compelled to be outside and enjoying it all as much as I possibly can.

Anyone have any good weekend plans? My mom and dad are coming to pick Aaron and I up and bring us back with them to Wisconsin. Drew will follow so that he can spend the July 4th weekend with us, but he doesn't have all the week before off like I do. I'm looking forward to getting out of my daily grind, but I know at the end of the trip I'll be really anxious to get back home. One of those things where the grass is always greener...

I'll do my best to check in later with all of you!
Old 06-26-2003, 09:49 AM   #3  
Cockeyed Optimist

Good Morning Kierie & Jayne & everyone else to follow.

One of you girls has to explain lowcarb eating to me. I thought it just meant you ate less refined carbs but reading Kierie's and Jayne's posts I got the impression that eating some cards means you pass go and go directly to jail?

BTW Kier - cold chicken for lunch? Can I come eat with you? Sounds better than what I packed.

Jayne - CB would love you!! A woman who plays golf in her spare time. I can't stand golf and he's addicted! Have fun with your parents.

Well, I don't have any plans for the weekend because I work all weekend but tonight we are meeting another couple at Cinema Grill for dinner and to see Chicago. I'm excited about the movie but not the menu. My choices appear to be BBQ Wings, Burger & Fries, Pizza or a Brownie Sundae. I'm double checking to see if grilled chicken w/fries would be an option as I have the points for that or else I might ask CB about a veggie pizza.

Have a good day all - I'll be back to post again later.

Laura
Old 06-26-2003, 10:08 AM   #4  

good morning! well last night was my fitrst WW meeting (2nd go at it). i got a points bracelet and my sister and i decided to move the charm for each piund we lose. it is already acting as a reminder to eat healthy by being on my wrist. next week we go back to the gym. yah!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:56 AM   #5  

Hi everyone! Well, I posted on yesterday's thread, but it must have been the very end of the day, so I thought maybe I should re-post it here? I was confused because I thought maybe you post on the day of the week for which you weigh in, but I guess that's not how it works. Anyway, I was just trying to navigate my way around this huge place! : )

Hi everyone! Well, I am a newbie and having a haaard time figuring out where to start! : ) I am doing WW, and so I came to this section, and I picked the Wednesday thread because I weigh-in on Wednesdays. Is that how this works? Does it matter? If there would be a plce I'd better fit, please just let me know. : )

I have had a battle with my weight all of adulthood, and this isn't the first time I've done WW, and in fact, this time I haven't gotten off to a very good start! But, I am really ready to get back on track, and I really think this could help! I loe making friends online and posting to sites like these, so I am hoping this time I can make it all come together!

I have 75-95 or so pounds to lose. But, I'm not even thinking of that right now. I just want to get back to a healthy weight, and the rest of the "cosmetic" weight loss can come later!

You all seem like a really nice bunch! Hope to "talk" to you again soon!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:18 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Girls Just checking in I might have a potential Job *fingerscrossed* I have a needy gramma who corners me every time I move
Jayne! Wb sounds like you are having fun but don't fall off the face of the earth I need my fellow LCer to keep me on track
Laura Come Over for Lunch anytime! its roasted tomato chicken Tho we might have it for dinner b/c its too hot to cook it now
GHgirl Welcome!! we post a daily thread every day to keep eachother motivated feel free to jump in!
I gotta whip together lunch and head out for the gym
bbl
Love
Kier
as for good carbs/bad carbs it all comes down to the fiber content ie Spinach is great b/c the fiber = the amount of carbs in the veggie so that it takes longer to digest and doesn't make your blood sugar go wacko so you subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs and you have your impact carbs
btw I'm dying to see chicago!
Amber that sounds likegreat motivation!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:23 PM   #7  

OK, I accidentally posted under an old name (grasshoppergirl) which I never really used, so for a new start, I decided to pick a new name and I hope I haven't confused you all! : )

Anyway, thanks for the welcome!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:55 PM   #8  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Talking Good Afternoon!!

Good afternoon, ladies!! It's been a busy thread so far today, hasn't it?

Well, yesterday's eating was so-so. I ended up going over my points (even with the activity points I earned), but I wasn't way over, plus I was counting points which made me more conscious of what I ate. I also journaled, so it's a start. I have my day planned today and hopefully I'll do a little better, and tomorrow will be even better, and so on.

Well, it's almost the weekend, whooohoo!! Does anyone have any great plans? I work at second job tomorrow night, do Relay for Life on Saturday night, and have my Stamping Club on Sunday. Not a relaxing weekend at all, but that's OK--I'll get around to relaxing one of these days.

Julygirl--I send you a PM welcoming you to the group, I hope you like it here-I'm sure you will, this is such an awesome bunch. We'll help you all the way to your goal weight!!

Kier--Yay about the potential job!! I hope it comes together for you! As far as last night goes, remember that today is a brand-new day and don't make the mistakes that you did yesterday.

Jayne--Hey you!! I understand about the busy-ness, but it sure is great to see you! Oh, just an FYI--I have the new Close To My Heart catalog, and it's awesome!! If you thought the last one was cool, wait until you see this one. Let me know if you're interested. And I've got to know what a carb hangover is... I'm kind of thinking about maybe trying low-carb, since I've been struggling so much with WW. Plus, I've read a lot of things about blood sugar, and since I'm possibly pre-diabetic, I thought it might not hurt to start regulating it now. I just don't know--it's all very confusing. Where can I learn more about low-carbing and if it's for me?

Laura--I would probably go for the brownie sundae, myself, but that's what got me in the boat I'm in, so don't do that. A grilled chicken sandwich sounds like a good choice--I know you'll make a great decision, you've been doing so well!! Have fun tonight!!

OK, kiddos, I'm going to get some more work done and I'll try to stop back later!!
Old 06-26-2003, 02:17 PM   #9  

OK, I think I am kind of getting the hang of this. Thanks, Jess, again for your PM. I appreciate the welcome!

I lost 1.2 pounds at my weigh-in last night, which I was happy about and now I'm feeling extra-motivated.

I just passed up the yummy-looking yogurt with m&m's my co-worker had, so I'm stayin' strong! Tonight, though, I'm going out to eat. I will make myself make good choices! : )

Keir -- what kind of new job is it? Did I read in your intro. that you're a newspaper reporter? My boyfriend is too! He does sports. He's also looking for a new job right now. It's a very competitive field!

Laura -- are you low-carbing with WW? I have PCOS and I hear it's good to low-carb, but so far I just want to try to stay in my points, and then tweak from there!

Well, I'll just keep checkin' in! Thanks again girls! : )
Old 06-26-2003, 02:26 PM   #10  
Proud Canadian

Man, talk about blowing it! Last night was horrible. I wouldn't think about it but I have mess to clean up at home. Garlic bread and pasta and pie...Then my friend's neighbor called the cops on her cause her 8 year old told them she beats her. I was at her house until 1am. Very tired now. The horrible thing is, we can't get the kid to stop lying. She sat there lying to the cop even after the cop called her on it. What fun. Sorry I don't have time for a proper post. Hope everyone is having a good day.
KT
PS - Rina - go AR!!
Old 06-26-2003, 03:05 PM   #11  
A Yankee in Virginia

PLEEAAASSEE explain something to me. OK, I know I haven't been perfect the past couple of days, but I've been eating normally, not binging, not snacking, not drinking regular soda, blah, blah. And the scale keeps going up. I'm getting really scared that unless I starve myself, I'm going to keep gaining and gaining and gaining.

I swear I'm going to stay at the Y until they kick me out tonight.

Another problem, though, is that because the air quality has been so bad lately with the oppressive heat around here (heat index near 100 F today), that I feel my asthma kicking in. I haven't had a problem in a long time, but I've had to take a few hits on the inhaler lately.

What do you think, ladies? Will actually going to WW meetings help me?

PS Welcome Amber and July.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:17 PM   #12  
Cockeyed Optimist

Amber - sounds like you are really working hard at setting yourself up for success.

Kier - good luck with the job possibility - everything is crossed for you! Thanks also for the explaination on lowcarb veggies.

Jess - one thing I picked up from your post - that even though you were over points - you were in control. Way to go! It's a step in the right direction.

July - Congrats on the 1.2lbs!! I'm not low-carbing. Just trying to understand what Kierie and Jayne are doing so I can be more supportive.

KT - you are a good friend for dealing with that situation so late into the evening. Hope you get sleep tonight.

Kim - I can practically hear the frustration in your voice. Are you using lots of salt/spices to compensate for taste in lowerfat items? Is it TOM? If you are working out a lot are you building muscle fast? All things for water retention and the scale going up. Does your asthma medicine have steriods - wouldn't that show a gain on the scale? What about taking your measurements or using a pants-o-meter and giving the scale a break? I know that you really want to lose weight before TTC but remember that there are other measures of health you should look at - is your body fat % dropping? is your cholesterol level dropping? are you getting more calcium and building stronger bones? Someone mentioned before about seeing a nutritionist. Could you do that? Do you think it would help? Sorry to be so inquisitive but I really want to help you figure this out - I hate that you are so frustrated!

Laura
Old 06-26-2003, 04:57 PM   #13  
Duchess Tiger Lily

I just sent Jess a PM about low-carbing, and thought I'd post it for everyone that had questions to see here. If you don't feel that this is a healthy way of life, I'm not offended if you don't read it. Just scroll on by this message and pretend it isn't here.

Here's the mail I sent Jess:

Hey...just thought I'd give you the low-down on lowcarbing. Robert Atkins was kind of the granddaddy of low-carbing, and his way is the strictest but also the most popular (and in my opinion, the best...but more on that later). There are other plans out there, like Protein Power, The Schwartzbien Principle, and Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. Here is the scoop.

If you have ever heard of the glycemic index, you will know that certain foods have more of a "sugar impact" on your body than other foods, regardless of the carbohydrate content. This sugar impact is the result of your insulin rising to take care of the sugar that is in your system. The glycemic index tells us what foods create the biggest insulin rises in our body. Obviously sweets are at the top of the list, with potatoes, refined grains, sweeter fruits, etc. not too far behind.

Low-carbohydrate dieting seeks to reduce, if not stop altogether, the insulin rises and falls that happen to our bodies. This is done by eating food with no (meat) or very low (full-fat dairy products, eggs, most vegetables, berries, and melon) carbohydrate counts. In certain foods, such as the fruits and vegetables I mentioned, the carbohydrate count alone isn't exactly what you'd call low, but the fiber count is high enough that our body takes longer to process it and doesn't have that knee-jerk insulin reaction, and our insulin stays more even.

Why, you ask, would we want to keep our insulin even? Insulin rising and falling is responsible for a number of icky things, like cravings, mid-afternoon slump where we are so tired and only a little bit of something sweet or really starchy picks us up, and when a bad insulin rise cycle happens too much in our bodies, diabetes.

All of the low-carbohydrate diets have the same goal -- to avoid foods that are high on the glycemic index in order not to have our insulin rises and falls. What makes Atkins different is the whole induction principle. Atkins has you go through a two week "induction" period where you eat only 20 grams of carboyhdrates per day. A typical Atkins induction menu would be something like:
B: 2 eggs (1.2 g carbs)
2 strips bacon (0.0 g carbs)
1 cup coffee (.5 g carbs)
2 T heavy cream (1.5 g carbs)

L: Grilled Chicken Breast (0.0 carbs)
2 c. Caesar Salad (7 g net carbs, after fiber count is figured in)
Full Fat Caesar dressing (2 g carbs)

D: Steak (0.0 carbs)
3/4 c. Broccoli (5 g. net carbs)
2 slices American cheese, melted on broccoli (1 g. carbs)
sugar-free jello (0 g. carbs)
1 squirt (canned) real whipped cream (1 g. carbs)

Snacks: 2 oz sliced cheddar cheese (2 g. carbs)
celery sticks (0 net carbs)
1/2 c full-fat Ranch dip (2 g. carbs)

We don't count fat in Atkins, and here is why: in order for our bodies to store fat, they need many carbohydrates to latch onto. When we aren't eating many carbohydrates, they pass right on through. Our bodies, getting no fat stored, will begin burning its own fat for fuel, and this is how we lose weight. Isn't it fun???

You also see me using a term called net carbs. In low-carb dieting, it is permissible to subtract 1 gram of carbohydrates for each gram of fiber found in a product. There are also certain sweetners, called sugar alcohols, whose molecules are too large for our bodies to digest. They pass through us undetected, so we don't consider them in our carb counts. That's why we get to eat that nummy sugar-free candy that tastes exactly like the real thing.

FInally, this may seem really extreme and like you could never do it. But that's not the case at all. When you stop eating carbs, you go through an initial period where you crave those carbs so intensely you think you'd kill someone for a piece of buttered toast. But if you hang in there and get past that, you stop even wanting these things, since insulin isn't rising and falling and triggering cravings. I can easily throw away French Fries that come with my meal, as well as pass by the bread basket at restaurants. I just have no desire for it. It's like pouring perfume in a glass. I really think it smells nice, but don't want to drink it.

So that, my friend, in a nutshell, is low-carbing. Go to www.atkins.com or see if your library has a book by Dr. Atkins. You will learn a lot more, but that is the basic principle. Any questions, email me.

-Jayne
Old 06-26-2003, 05:26 PM   #14  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Jayne woman I love you!!! Youexplained stuff that was still baffling me! (sugar alcohol)
July I'm a journalism and media studies major at Rutgers University I'd say GO RU but our teams (savefor Ladies B-Ball) SUCK
Kim My darling adorable blonde one Go to a dietician/nutritionist maybe get some blood work done so instead of wondering you can explore what might be going on in your cute lil bod
Jess Hi darlin if I PM you my address will you send me a close to my heart catalog?
Laura thanks for the support my love You rock
My sis and I had achat last night about habits
I as lamenting how easy it was to slip back into My old ones
and she said even with her WLS where she'd become Physically ill from overeating the habits were beyond hard to break
and whenI put myself in an old sitch(spending the day in front of th tv for example) the old habits creap back
Today POP thus far and I did 62 minutes of cardio machines
25 on the seated stepper
25 on the upper body bike at the gym
6 on the semi recumbent bike at PT and 6 more on the upper bod bike there
I feel great
I rewarded myself with an iced coffee with cream and S&L andas I was scooting home
realized as I pursue the new habits I reinforce them
I WAS IN A D&D for gods sake the smell of donuts everywhere
I didnt want one
it didnt cross my mind to have one
and no I'm not patting myself on the back I have far to go to reach my goals health wise
But it made me realize as I scooted thru the hazy Thursday
Good Habits Beget Good habits
we're all works in progress
Old 06-26-2003, 10:13 PM   #15  

Well, I am going to bed today and get to call today a success! I stayed within my point, and even had a chance to walk for about 20 mins this afternoon (better than nothing, right?) It feels good to have this top-of-mind and feel committed.

KO -- rewards are always a good thing! My favorite rewards when I'm losing is new clothes!

Winter - thanks for the congrats. I was happy with 1.2 even though I wish it were 12.2 : ) I know that slow and steady is the way to go!

Well, tomorrow is Friday! Happy weekend everyone!
Closed Thread