Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Cold, Cold, Cold!

Being cold most of the time is really getting to me! This is a side effect of weight loss that I really didn't expect and I am having trouble dealing with it. Unless I'm exercising or the ambient temperature is at least 76, I'm cold. This means I'm cold at work, cold at the store, cold in my house, cold in restaurants just cold, cold, cold every where I go! I'm always wearing long sleeves and pants. Forget about wearing skirts or dresses, they're not warm enough. I dress in layers, even in the summer. When I'm home, I'm wearing sweats and a hoodie and when I'm sitting, I'm under a blanket. Sometimes I fire up a heating pad just to warm up. My hands get so cold that my fingernails turn purple! I drink hot herbal tea several times a day but the warming effects are only temporary.

As I type this, I'm sitting in my office at work. My hands are so cold my fingernails are slightly blue and I'm having trouble typing. I'm wearing a heavy sweater with a t-shirt underneath, pants, close toed leather shoes, wool socks and a fleece jacket. I also have my space heater running.

I have had my thyroid tested and re-tested and it's normal. My doc reckons that this cold thing is from losing over 75 pounds of insulation.

Anyone else going through this? How are you coping?
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #2  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I'm always cold as well. My coworkers often laughed at me for wearing a sweater and a coat and running the space heater under my desk. I'm told over time you readapt and it goes away. We'll see.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

GODS I KNOW! I was freezing even this summer! (Not that is was they typical hot summer I am used to in the south, but it still!)
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #4  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

Yep. I'm always cold, unless it's at least 80. It's a huge difference from when I was always hot.

I'm not sure really about what can be done with it, especially when I'm in the office, which is set at 73. Sweaters don't even really help. Something hot to drink helps somewhat. Walking around helps too.

Last edited by Vex; 09-16-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Yes. When I was in weight loss mode I had to use a heating pad in order to fall a sleep. I was always freezing.

I have been less cold this summer since I have been in maintenance. Hopefully that will continue into winter.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #6  

Your body will adjust once you have been on maintenance for awhile.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #7  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

I've been maintaining since February and this past weekend (the cooler weather) was not good. I was freezing! My hands and feet are still like ice blocks, I'm wearing heavy sweaters and socks around the house and it's not even that cold yet!

I had a physical and everything checks out so I'm hoping my body will adjust.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #8  

I have been cold all the time too, but this summer has been pretty good. I visited NYC during 4th of July and they had its heatwave and I could barely survive it. At least that confirmed to me that I can still get too hot, so that was comforting. I am hoping I won't be miserably cold this coming winter.
memememe76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

[QUOTE=Garnet2727;4841123My doc reckons that this cold thing is from losing over 75 pounds of insulation.[/QUOTE]

Doctor or no doctor, I don't think this is quite accurate. The loss of insulation may explain part of your coldness, but in my experience it's the calorie deficit that accounts for most of it. It's the calorie deficit that's making your metabolic rate go down, which leads to the sensation of being cold. Every time I've been in weight loss mode (i.e., eating at a deficit) I felt cold, and every time I transitioned to maintenance mode I became less cold.

Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 09-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #10  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

I wish! I'm at that time of life when I'm having the female "power surges".

I can't wear sweaters, wool, layers or anything very heavy. Loose and linen is my friend. Even when it's colder out.

That's why we still summer in AK. As soon as my constant overheat setting returns to normal we will settle in KS for good.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #11  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

it was a pretty nice summer down here in Juneau too and I finally felt warm and even, sometimes, HOT!

but most of the time I am very, very cold....I don't even own any clothes that would be considered "cooler clothes" like skirts, dresses, short sleeves even....during our hotter days this summer I dug out a pair of shorts and a few t-shirts that were two sizes too big for me and wore those

I always wear close-toed shoes and socks, long pants, and two layers on top, t-shirt and sweater over that and in the mornings I often wear a hat too.....luckily my work doesn't require that I be dressed very business-like and so I just have a rotation of sweaters and more sweaters that I wear at work

I too have had my thyroid tested several times and it comes back normal
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #12  
diamondgeog

Well there is a flip side. At least for me. I live in Austin. And it has been HOT. Especially the last few years. Record breaking hot, horrible, awful.

Well this summer was very bad. Not the worse but still much worse than normal. However with losing weight starting around the start of the summer, the heat was much less oppressive than normal. So I suppose its where you live.

Live where heat is by far the biggest weather 'problem' and losing the weight just another awesome, added bonus.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #13  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

I was cold when I was fat. I'm even colder now that I'm thinner. It's pretty much ridiculous how cold I am.

Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #14  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Doctor or no doctor, I don't think this is quite accurate. The loss of insulation may explain part of your coldness, but in my experience it's the calorie deficit that accounts for most of it. It's the calorie deficit that's making your metabolic rate go down, which leads to the sensation of being cold. Every time I've been in weight loss mode (i.e., eating at a deficit) I felt cold, and every time I transitioned to maintenance mode I became less cold.

Freelance
That's my experience, too. Calorie deficit makes me cold, maintenance makes me warmer. Now granted, I'm always cooler than I was one hundred pounds heavier - back then I was almost always warm, oftentimes sweaty and hot from the exertion of carrying around such big body, eating so much food, and yes, having more flesh (I had less surface area per pound then than I do now - that directly affects heat loss).

I'm cold often now, but it's a side effect I'll take for being so much healthier now.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #15  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I was cold to start with. Then it got better. Now, busting it with exercise, I positively freeze exactly after eating lunch every day. Apparently, being cold is a sign of a healthy heart.

I put the heating on in my office. Visitors complain.

Last edited by IanG; 09-16-2013 at 09:06 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote