General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Default Got a Dog Of Craigslist And...

now the owner wants it back. I asked her multiple times if she was sure she wanted to rehome him and she said yes. She handed over his crate, dog bowls, food, treat, vet records, toys and him to me.

We picked him up at 1pm and he has already fit in perfectly with our family. He's already my little shadow, following me every where and laying by my feet. He even rode in the car to pick up my kids.

She also told me that her family is never home so he got NO attention. I stay at home all day and so she was excited he would have someone with him all the time and another dog to play with.

I really like him.

I don't want to give him back now. I gave her several chances to change her mind. My kids are just nuts over him.

Thoughts? Advice?

Last edited by RavenWolf; 09-03-2013 at 07:32 PM.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

That is a dilemma that I was once in. The problem in that case is there were heartbroken children in the former home, so we did give her back. In your case the situation is different and I would want to know why they wanted to return the dog to a lonely home..
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #3  

She said her husband now promises to try and make time for him. This is the second time they gave him away. The first home gave him back due to "allergy" reasons after 3 days.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

Don't give him back. Most likely, the dog will end up just as ignored as before - or worse. The third time will not be the charm. You obviously love the dog, and it sounds like he is loving the attention that his new family provides. Tell the former owner that your kids would be heartbroken.

I would start taking steps to create a paper trail that proves you are now the owner of the dog. Call the vet ASAP and have them change the owner records to reflect your name and address. Also, if your county requires a license, get the dog licensed ASAP. If the owner persists and tries to claim the dog was stolen, you need as much paperwork as possible in your name to prove ownership. Print out and keep a copy of the Craigslist ad and any email communications. If you paid them any money for the dog or signed any paperwork, keep that as well.

Sadly, I've been down this road. People are nuts.

Last edited by Sasha29; 09-03-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Hopefully you kept copies of communication, but even if it was all verbal you did what was required of you - write down a record of what was said and when. Keep the dog. It sounds like that person is wishy-washy and the dog is far better off with you. I would decline to return the dog and point out that you had an agreement. Any further communication from the owner after that could constitute harassment. Make sure you keep copies of voicemails, emails, notes, etc. Take the dog to the vet for an initial check up- if the checkup reveals any signs of neglect or abuse that would further bolster your case but just taking the dog to the vet would support that you have every intent of keeping and caring for the dog.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 09-03-2013 at 08:20 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #6  

Thank you! I've been literally sick to my stomach about this. My kids love him, I love him and he fits in just right. He's laying at my feet right now, happy and content. I kept the emails and the text messages. She did already delete the craigslist ad.

Thank you!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #7  

OMG she is threatening to get law enforcement involved!!! WTH? I don't know what to do. I'm so sad.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWolf View Post
OMG she is threatening to get law enforcement involved!!! WTH? I don't know what to do. I'm so sad.
Let the cops come, explain the situation. The owner has given the dog away twice now. You have proof that you had an agreement.

I would tell her flat out: "We had an agreement, and I have copies of all the communications. Call the police and send them by, and I'll be glad to show them." My guess is she's bluffing. Even if she isn't, you have possession of the dog and proof that she made an agreement to give the dog to you. I would think that would be good enough for the police.

And I would tell her that if she contacts you again, you'll file harassment charges against her.

I hope this works out. As a fellow pet lover, I know I would just be in emotional knots over this.

If she doesn't know where you live, DON'T TELL HER. She has your contact information, obviously. If she asks for your address to give to the cops, tell her they can contact you themselves. This lady sounds nuts, and I would not want her to know where I lived.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #9  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Totally agree with the advice provided by EagleRiverDee...couldn't have said it better. I wish you luck.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #10  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

OH my... what an awful situation. At first I was torn until I got to the part that this was the SECOND time they gave the dog away

DO NOT GIVE THE DOG BACK.

Don't feel bad about keeping the dog... he deserves a loving family.

So sorry you're going through this.
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #11  

I contacted the police as did she. She and I were both told separately by the same officer that it is a civil matter and she has the right to take me to court over it.

I asked the officer what he would do and he said he would give him back because even though she probably wouldn't win him back, I would have to go through the hassle of court.

To top that off, there is a worry that her family may be crazy and could find out where I live I'm sure. This is a very small town and our kids go to the same school although they do not know each other.

I also worry that if I were to return him and all of his stuff she gave with him she may say he came back in poor health or that I didn't return something and stole something. I'm at a loss.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

I agree with the posts above. If they've admitted that they didn't make time for him before and have actually given him away in the past, there's nothing that says it'll change. Saying that her husband 'will try and make time for him' means nothing. If her husband is at work all day, he's not going to magically come home early for the dog anytime soon.

Good luck.
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #13  
Here to Learn

Well, you have to do what you have to do. I think it's a shame that the dog is caught in this. If the woman gave the dog away because the husband neglected it, it's unrealistic to think that will change long term. Sure, he may pay more attention to the dog temporarily, but not permanently. The dog would definitely be better off with you. Were it me, I would tell them to have their lawyer contact me. And see if they follow through. But I'm stubborn that way, and don't have small children.

My two cents for the future:
-Always, always capture an exact copy of an ad from Craigslist. Use screenshot or snipping tool, then save the captured photo into a word doc and file it.
-Take a short contract over that specifies they are giving up all rights to the animal and make them sign it. I imagine there are samples out there, rescue groups certainly use a waiver like that and you could use one of theirs for a template.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW/CW/GW 223/165/174

Height: 5'4"

I would call Animal Control and tell them everything. They want whats best for the dog so they will intervene and convince the woman that she cant keep giving the dog away. Your local Animal Shelter may be able to weigh in, too. Good luck!
carebearx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I hope you keep the dog, it is obviously in a better situation with your family. the police should keep records of their talks with you and the lady so if they threaten you or try anything there is history of conflict on file allowing quicker assistance
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote