Old 09-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152.9/148.0/113

Height: 5'7

Default Will I ever run again?

Hi everyone. Happy September! Alright, so I'll be honest; I'm feeling a little sorry for myself, so I'll try to keep my whining to a minimum. I used to be a long distance runner and would run about 4 to 6 days per week depending on my school workload. After taking a 7 month hiatus, I decided (in true dumb fashion) to go running for 50 minutes. Although I was fine cardiovascular wise, my knee cried foul. I've had ankle issues, plantar fasciitis and shin splints, but this one is really bugging me. I know I committed the "too much, too soon and too fast" crime, so I'm being forced to sit out for awhile while my knee recovers. I also went running in my old running shoes that needed replacing 200 miles ago. I got new shoes with great support, have been doing R.I.C.E., staying away from the treadmill, and stretching exercises. Has anyone else experienced a running or exercise injury that has kept them from doing their favorite activity while they heal? I am not a fan of swimming, so I've been doing indoor cycling and the elliptical while doing lower body strengthening. I'm really, really sorry if I sound like a baby; I just love running so much and I'm not a patient person on the sidelines. I'm also terrified that maybe I may never run again. I just needed to share my fear and frustration, neither of which are helping me in the long run (no pun intended I swear)
Monkeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I hurt my knee very early on in my first attempt at the couch to 5K (C25K) program. I had never been a runner before and was pretty stoked about my new passion. It was horrible to lose it so fast and have to rest. It took almost a year before I got back into it. I never did get up past 1.5 mile run, due to my knees. And as I regained my weight, my distance shrunk more and more until I had to stop running again.

My knee issues are heavily related to my weight. I don't know if they'll go away completely when I reach goal or not, but my feeling is that they will not. But I do expect that the severity of my knee pain will be significantly reduced with weight loss.

You're much smaller than me, so hopefully that will mean faster recovery time for you. I know it sucks being sidelined. Good luck!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #3  

I think every runner has had a running-preventing injury. It's not permanent. Wait it out.

(IMO and FWIW, C25K progresses so quickly that it's asking for injuries if the new runner hasn't been doing high-impact weight-bearing exercise already and especially if she's heavier in weight. But that's IMO.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/167/130

Height: 5' 3"

When I first started running (C25k) I broke the bones in my foot on day 3. I had been cycling a lot back then but running was new. When my foot eventually healed I got to run and I love running. Got pregnant then so it was out and now I'm just massive and while what was left of my arches have fallen so I'm hoping with phyiso I will be able to run again soon. My feet hurt when I'm sleeping so running is a really bad idea - I did try it a few times but its so sore I have to sit that out for a while. pants!

Last edited by Fakk; 09-02-2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: baby brain
Fakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I just recently had to take a break from running....I took up running about 2 years ago and had run about 5 times a week every single week for the last 2 years....the longest time between runs was 4 days in a row because I was really ill at the time (sinus infection that spread to my teeth, root canal pending, etc, ughhh)

a few weeks ago I went for a regular run at the gym and gave myself a horrible blister that covered almost the entire ball of my foot...it was awful and when I thought it was healing nicely a few days later I went for a run and blistered underneath the already-healing blisters....I could barely walk and I had no choice in terms of walking because my job is on my feet all day and I could NOT call in sick at the start of the school year....even now my foot hurts at the thought of that....then all the limping around started to affect my knee.....(whine whine whine lol)

so anyhow I have started doing weight training on the machines at the gym and have made some progress there....

I also miss figure skating, which I haven't done since a child, and can't do now because if I fall I will do serious damage to my already-fragile spine
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/136/133

Height: 5'-5"

Yes, you will run again! Be patient while your injury heals...you want to run for life, not just at this moment. Returning too quickly could only make it even worse than the original injury. If it persists, going to a doctor and starting a PT program could be helpful.
Trail Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #7  
I dream in sci-fi

S/C/G: 222/150/150

Height: 5'6"

I feel your pain. Although my injury isn't running related, I've been banned by my orthopedist from running for the time being. I was in a car accident in June. I miss it like crazy. I've been doing a little swimming and some elliptical to get back into shape after taking a break from major activity while I was recovering. Doc says I "may" be able to start adding running into my routine after I see him in 8 weeks. So much sadness. But at least I've been given the green light for some activity, so that's something.
JuvenileNarcissist is offline   Reply With Quote