South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 04:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/222/154

Height: 5'7"

Default South Beach Diet - Week of June 23

How are we doing, folks? I went back on phase 1 last Sunday and am down 4 pounds. When I eat something I'm not supposed to, it's something that I can have legally in phase 2 so even when I cheat it's not too bad.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:51 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi Nora
Congratulations on the 4 pounds!!

I gained a pound back this weekend. Got into the sausages. I haven't been tracking at all, and because I was quite active (participated in 2 Dragon Boat races and got a lot of extra walking in), I figured I could eat more than usual. NOT good!

So... I'm going to track everything today...
I AM doing better with my water.

So far:

- 3 coffees w/skim milk
- 2 waters
- 1/2 cup oats cooked w/1 cup skim milk with 1tbsp chopped walnuts plus cinnamon

- 4 waters
- coleslaw w/low fat mayo
- can of solid white tuna in water
- small sprinkle of Stilton

- 4 waters
- chicken salad
- yogurt/fruit thingy with oat/nut topping
- 2 low-fat no-sugar popsicles

- water... water... water... very hot...

Last edited by ellis; 06-23-2003 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:37 AM   #3  
GARDENING ADDICT

Good Morning Ladies

My 2 weeks are up today and I lost 6 pounds since starting SB. If I can maintain a 1 # loss per week I will obtain my FIRST goal weight in 7 weeks (then on to the next goal) ~~~less would be better, though. So, I'm going to stay on Phase 1 for awhile and occassionally have some oatmeal or some fruit like strawberries or cherries (allowed on Phase 2)~~~same as you, Nora.

Nora~~Congrats on the 4 pound loss.

Ellis~~Maybe the sausage had alot of sodium and you are just retaining some water. I also have to make extra efforts to drink my water but I've gotten better at it, especially with the warm weather.

Suzzane~~ How are you feeling so far?
Old 06-23-2003, 10:51 AM   #4  

Default Day 2

Good Morning all.

Went to the grocery yesterday to stock up on things we needed to get started. What a strange feeling to skip the bread, cracker, cerela, pasta, dairy and wine departments. Maybe I should have made a list but instead I spent a lot of time venturing into unchartered territory and looking for protein sources. Breaking my 3 box a week Wheat Thin habit might be a little tougher than I thought

Congratulations on the 4 lbs. Nora!

Ellis - Dragon Boat Races sound very fun and hopefully that extra pound will be gone agoin in no time.

Hope you all have a great start to the week!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:55 AM   #5  
it's always something

I'm on day 5 and it gets easier every day!

Nora - Congrats on that loss!

Ellis - I wouldn't worry about the pound, it's probably just water, and could be gone again by morning. If not, well it sounds like you had an exciting time anyway, so who cares about 1 little pound

Sil - Congrats on making it through Phase 1 I'm counting down my days. I've never wanted a strawberry so bad in my life! And I'm feeling great, thanks! I've noticed a huge difference in such a short time. I can walk on the treadmill again without any heart irregularities, which really surprised me! Yesterday I went for an hour without missing a beat. It makes me look forward to walking again. I guess those Bad carbs really were bad for my heart after all. Sometimes I just don't listen

Susie - Good luck with it! You made it through your first day, and you'll be surprised at how easy it gets every day. I also felt as if I was missing something when I left the grocer without any flour or my fat free tortillas (love wraps) or a box of cereal. Still, the new food choices are going to add variety to our diets, and some of the recipes really are good!
Old 06-23-2003, 01:25 PM   #6  

Thank you, Sil... I bet you're right about the salt... I forgot about that!
And congratulations on your first two weeks... a six pound loss is GREAT!!

Nora, I'm sort of doing the same as you, too. I'm not "officially" on Phase Two, but I've added in SOME of the extra carbs. I'm afraid I'll go overboard if I go all the way.

Susie, thanks, and good luck to you!
I'm betting you're going to like this diet.

Thanks, Suzanne.
Hey, I'm so glad that you're liking this "diet"! It really doesn't feel like one after a while! It's amazing how much more energy you have, too!

Linda... where are you? I hope everything is okay with you. If you're having trouble, come and we'll cheer you on... that's what we're here for.

Ruth... have you bought the darned book yet?
Old 06-23-2003, 02:19 PM   #7  

Hi ladies!!!

I hope you don't mind me butting in here with a few quick questions.

A friend sent me some info on the SBD because I have been battling cholesterol so much the past year or so and she says this purports to lower cholesterol. A few quick questions for the veterans:

does anyone have high (bad) cholesterol and know if this has had an effect?
did you experience light headed/dopiness as the result of carb withdrawal?
what is the effect on energy once you pass the first week or so?
can you drink protein drinks on this plan? (I have tons of the stuff in my house and would hate to throw it all out)

Thanks for any information!
Susan
Old 06-23-2003, 02:27 PM   #8  

Hi Susan!

(goodness... three Sues! )

I can't tell you about the cholesterol, but for the first two days of the diet I had a doozy of a headache. I'm a migraine sufferer, but this was something VERY different. Sugar withdrawal, no doubt.
I wasn't light-headed, though. Or any dopier than usual.

I'm on week 3.5, and I have MUCH more energy than I used to! I can see the difference on my pedometer! And I'm sure that losing 9 pounds has made it easier to move, too!

I don't know about the protein drinks. If they're high in carbs/sugar, then forget it!

Have you checked out the diet on Prevention.com? There's a fair bit of info there...
Old 06-23-2003, 03:35 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hey! I bought the book in Brockville today so quit nagging, Ellis!
I also bought four quarts of strawberries on the way home. Maybe I'll read the book really slowly so I don't finish before the strawberry season ends. I could work in the two weeks of Phase 2 before the raspberries start maybe.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:20 PM   #10  

Default What's the rule of thumb on high sugar/carbs?

Ellis,

In reply to the question on protein drinks, what's a good rule of thumb on something that's too high in sugar? I don't plan to consume any while in phase 1 anyway, but once I get to Phase 2?

I have some protein smoothie mixes that have 15 g protein and 6 g of sugar (that doesn't seem bad to me) as well as some good fiber. I don't want to "undo" any of the good stuff I'm doing in Phase 1, but I also don't want to waste any of my current stock of protein mixes..

Thanks in advance for your advice, everyone!

SkyMom (Day 5, Phase 1)
Old 06-23-2003, 07:31 PM   #11  
Hang In There

I haven't been around much, and yes it does mean that I haven't been following the plan!! I am on vacation I live in Dallas, TX and am writing this fro my hotel room in Orange CT, BUT I'm getting all gered up to start over on Phase I as soon as I get back!

Hopeall of you have great results with the plan. What impresses me so much about this plan is that after the first two weeks, it just seems SO healthy.
Good Fats, Good Carbs. Lotsof Good Protein Just limit the stuff that's bad for you. Makes sense to me!
Old 06-23-2003, 08:04 PM   #12  
Slimwithin

I'm "Lurking Linda" this week, hoping to gain inspiration from all your successes. Meanwhile, I'm not OP at all. I don't know what's the matter with me. Possibly reaction to my uncle's death last week leading up to his funeral today but I can't blame my lack of self control on him. I think sometimes I just rebel against constraints and instead of having just a nibble of something naughty, I go whole hog.
Please don't let me drag the rest of you down though. It's great to hear that some people have true commitment and resolve and I hope some of it rubs off on me.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:30 PM   #13  

Gee girls, I've never had a protein drink in my LIFE! I just know that in Phase Two I always check the carb count before I eat. For instance, I bought the lowest carb bread I could find... just looked at the labels. I really don't know about "limits". I can't find any "numbers" in the book. Maybe you should just find an online carb counter and substitute. For instance, if you want a protein drink for breakfast, figure out the carb count for one or two of the "suggested breakfasts" in the book. If it's close in carbs to your drink, then go for it!
On the other hand... what do I know. There must be someone out there more knowledgeable than me...

Skymom, do you mean 6g of carbs? If so, that's REALLY good! I was just looking at an old tin of SLIMFAST in a dark corner of my pantry. One serving is 22g of carbs, which I don't think is really bad either.

Ruth, are the strawberries in?! Gee, I must get out there... I'm making jam for Christmas gifts this year. What kind do you want?

Hi Barb and Linda!

Linda, do NOT feel badly... we all have our ups and downs.

hugs to all...
Old 06-24-2003, 12:11 AM   #14  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Hi all!!! I just started SBD yesterday, and so far so good!!! Ellis dragged me over here from alternachicks (let go of my hair Ellis.... ) and I am glad to see so many of you doing well on SBD.

NICE TO MEET ALL OF YOU!!! (Linda, Ageoldie, Skymom, Susan, Suzanne, Susie, 2Bfit1, and Nora!)

HI RUTH!!!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 03:25 AM   #15  

Hi everyone,

Didn't realize there was a thread for SBD, but should of figured. Glad I checked.

I have been on this "way of life" for 6 weeks, just started my 7th. Although I have not had super results (lost 7 pounds) I am feeling well and I have to tell you...stick it out!!! It is worth it! I do not have any cravings, in fact I just added a piece of fruit last week and had another this week. I dreaded having fresh fruit in the house but it hasn't bothered me at all. I am not looking for any snacks and I have a hard time getting in all the food I should.

My husband refuses to give up his eating habits although he is eating what I cook, plus. I have no problem fixing him his potatoes and watching him eat his ice cream every night. It truly is amazing.

I am a pretty good cook and I have a vast array of recipes to keep me happy. Luckily I love my veggies, fish and beans.

I will post some recipes (if you'd like) as soon as I have some time.

In the meantime, hang in there...the cravings, the headaches, and anything else you experience is just your body detoxing. Depending on how bad your diet was before you started this plan, will determine how much you suffer This will all pass and you will be pleasantly surprised.

DRINK YOUR WATER DURING THIS TIME it helps flush out the toxins.

I am in this for the long haul...I am taking very small baby steps but I think it is the way to go. I have been on every "diet" and none of them worked. Now this is a life altering experience for me that I can live with and I think if I stick it out I will have to show some results.

By the way, I have lost two and a half inches in my waist along with the 7 pounds. The other bonus ... your skin will look so much better, take note of your face and them compare it in two to three weeks...skin much smoother and glowy.

I will catch you all later...Have a great SBD day!!!!

Meg~~~~~~~~~
Closed Thread