Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245 / 189 / 170

Height: 5"4

Post Just ordered a treadmill. Advice wanted !!

Hi ladies. So I decided to order a treadmill tonight, and due to limited space and tight budget I got a very very basic one. This one:
Confidence Power Plus Motorized Electric Treadmill

I don't believe it inclines and it can go up to 6 or 6.5? So it is Definately a walking treadmill. I was able to get it for $200 and monthly payments, it's only like 60lbs and it has a small footprint - all very important! There is no where to walk where I live without driving quiet a ways do I needed SOMETHING.

I was just wondering if there was any advice for a complete treadmill newbie, and also workouts for no incline & no running. I am currently. 5'4, 195lbs, and really inactive.
Alyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #2  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Is that 6 miles per hr or 6 kilometers per hr? If it's 6 mph, then you can run (or at least jog) on it. If it's only 6 or 6.5 kmph, then yes it would just be walking. I'll respond further later (having computer issues right now!).
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #3  

From what I could find/understand, it reads in kilometers but it's top speed is 7.5MPH

Motor
The motor clocks in at only 1.5-horsepower, which is expected given the low price of the Confidence. Therefore, while walkers and joggers will be able to get a good workout in, those who are looking for a treadmill to run on may want to look elsewhere, despite the treadmill being able to reach speeds of up to 7.5 MPH. However, thankfully, the motor isn’t very loud, making the Confidence a good choice for apartment dwellers.

Either way.. even if I have to walk really slow it'll be more than I do now, haha

Last edited by Alyj89; 08-26-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #4  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Walking has been my main form of exercise since I started my diet. I've lost 40 lbs since March, which for me is fast since I'm 56. I used the treadmill in March and April, but I have since walked outside when the weather has been good and on the treadmill on rainy days. I walk at speeds ranging from about 3.2 mph to 4.2 mph and average about 3.6 mph (FYI: 4.2 is very quick walking...much above that and I'd need to jog). My treadmill does incline, but I tend not to use the incline much...and, when I walk outside, my walks are relatively flat.

So, long story short, you can still get a good workout by walking and not using an incline. On the "negative" side, I walk at least an hour each day, often 1.5 hours. I don't think you'll get too far if you're just planning to do 15 or 20 minutes (although I started at 20 minutes and worked my way up to an hour over the course of a few weeks, which is something you can consider).

Another thing I do is to vary the speeds. So a "slow" walk (say 3.2-3.5) followed by a fast walk (3.8 or above). I like to walk to my iPod, and I have a playlist that has alternates faster songs with slower songs. The music really helps to make things interesting and I find the hour passes before I know it.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Because of a back injury that I am rehabbing, and because it is summer in Florida, I run almost exclusively on my treadmill right now. I adore it. I love it. Love, love, love!

So many people seem to hate treadmills, but not me. The convenience is awesome, I don't have to care about the weather or the time of day or being hit by a car or harassed by jerkwads. I can have a fan blasting right at me. I can watch tv shows or blast loud music. I can take a quick pee break. It is just awesome.

I hope you will enjoy your new treadmill. You can get excellent exercise just by being consistent and walking on your treadmill! My main advice is to start slowly and be consistent. Don't rush yourself into an injury, particularly if you have been inactive for some time. And have fun!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyj89 View Post
From what I could find/understand, it reads in kilometers but it's top speed is 7.5MPH

Motor
The motor clocks in at only 1.5-horsepower, which is expected given the low price of the Confidence. Therefore, while walkers and joggers will be able to get a good workout in, those who are looking for a treadmill to run on may want to look elsewhere, despite the treadmill being able to reach speeds of up to 7.5 MPH. However, thankfully, the motor isn’t very loud, making the Confidence a good choice for apartment dwellers.

Either way.. even if I have to walk really slow it'll be more than I do now, haha
I remember my husband's first treadmill--he put 1000's of miles on it--and today he is an ultra-marathoner. Of course he's now gone through about 5 treadmills over the many years he's been running.

I think you have made a great choice--and just start out slow--then work up. If it goes 7.5 miles an hour that's a very fast--quick paced jog--that starting out--you probably won't use anyway. Not to many people can keep up with a 6 mile an hour treadmill for extended periods of times--even ultra-marathoners.

So have some fun with it--and remember--you're still lapping everyone that is sitting on the couch.

Last edited by Kscott; 08-28-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #7  

Thank you ladies! It arrived today - SUPER fast (&free!) shipping, so I was surprised to see the giant box outside lol

Havent used it yet, may tonight or tomorrow afternoon after work!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

So exciting! Hope you enjoy it! Tell us all about it!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote