General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default I just love the news, don't you??

So, I like to read NBC news once in a while and today the MAIN article on there is this:

Heavy Burden: Obesity may be even deadlier than thought

I get that there is a problem, but articles like this does nothing more than bring the losers out of the woodwork who love fat-shaming on the vine. Some of the things said are just appalling.

What I don't get is why this is more important than the fires, or the healthcare reform, or the stock market, or whatever else is going on. I'm starting to think I should just stick to local news and international news and voice NBC news like the plague.

Guess you could say this kind of stuff gets my blood boiling because they automatically judge people who are obese and say its so easy to lose weight. Uh, no, it's not. If it was, no one would be fat. Psychological issues, medical issues and yes there is the over consumption of calories that surpasses our recommended intake.

Sorry to vent, rage and ramble. Thanks for reading.
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

I was just reading this! I really hate that picture that they use as well. It subtly reminds me of those 60 Minutes interviews where they are speaking to a criminal but they only show them from the neck down or blur their face. It's like the are trying send subliminal message that fat people should be ashamed.

Last edited by PatLib; 08-15-2013 at 08:49 PM.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I actually agree with most of the article. Our healthcare system does need to start treating and covering obesity, treatment, rather than waiting for people to get sick and then try to make them well without treating the underlying obesity and poor diet.

I've tried and failed to conquer my obesity all of my life. I was one of the lucky ones who had access and used what I could of the state-of-the-art nutrition science (too bad the food pyramid was wrong). Still, I would have gladly submitted myself to inpatient treatment, if it were available or affordable.

My dream would be to live in a health and weight management focused community, like the independent living communities that exist for senior citizens where health and healthy recreation are included amenities.

Blame won't help, but early treatment will, and the only way to get people to participate in early treatment is to take away the blame. Breakthrough treatments for alcoholism, substance abuse, and std's became most effective when the problems lost much of their stigma.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyHeather View Post
So, I like to read NBC news once in a while and today the MAIN article on there is this:

Heavy Burden: Obesity may be even deadlier than thought

I get that there is a problem, but articles like this does nothing more than bring the losers out of the woodwork who love fat-shaming on the vine. Some of the things said are just appalling.

What I don't get is why this is more important than the fires, or the healthcare reform, or the stock market, or whatever else is going on. I'm starting to think I should just stick to local news and international news and voice NBC news like the plague.

Guess you could say this kind of stuff gets my blood boiling because they automatically judge people who are obese and say its so easy to lose weight. Uh, no, it's not. If it was, no one would be fat. Psychological issues, medical issues and yes there is the over consumption of calories that surpasses our recommended intake.

Sorry to vent, rage and ramble. Thanks for reading.
You should spend more of your time reading the article than reading the comments. Nothing good comes from reading those comments other than getting your blood boiling apparently. The article is factual, the reasons they site are valid and the future is bleak. Yes there are people out there who are looking at obesity and saying "these people are a problem!!!" But guess what, we ARE a problem! One that the government needs to address by way of healthcare, education, school lunch programs, subsidizing fitness programs, getting sugar out of our foods, and making fresh produce more affordable.

And nobody said that this issue is more important than the fires, or the stock market. Guess what, it's just as easy to find articles and news on those topics as well and guess what, there are idiots making comments in those articles as well.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote