General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #1  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Question Outside Interests?

What classes or activities are you doing to get yourself out of the house? I've been trying to figure out what to do that will keep me interested and out of a rut. Plus, out from being in front of the t.v. all day without costing me a fortune.

I have a friend who joined a hiking club, and she's going through classes on learning how to be a certified foster parent. So I was wondering what everybody else was doing for ideas?
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I don't have a lot of time for outside interests, with working full time and raising our boys with DH.....but I do serve on the board of directors for an early education organization in town....I used to have a few other volunteer things that I did with the local high schools but I just don't have that kind of time anymore.....I also do genealogy work for my dad's side of the family and sometimes do a little reading or bike riding
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #3  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Things I've enjoyed: spanish class, public speaking (toastmasters) club, singing in the community, spending time in coffee shops reading (nice ones), going to the local park, bike riding somewhere scenic.

What kinds of activities do you enjoy? Something solo or with a group of people? Somewhere loud or quiet? Indoors or outdoors? Formally organized or something casual? Educational or leisurely? There are so many things you can do!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #4  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Also, what skills/combinations of skills do you most enjoy using?
- physical (activities involving your body ex. hiking, sports)
- hands-on activities (ex. art, knitting, playing an instrument)
- emotional/social (activities involving interaction with others)
- cognitive (learning, reading, writing, problem-solving)
- spiritual (I don't know if this is a skill, but it seemed like a valuable inclusion)
etc.

I hope thinking of it this way might also help.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

You should try Meetup to find people who live around you with similar interests. I am in a nice crafting group where we meet up and can work on our unfinished craft projects.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #6  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Meetup is an awesome idea, Souza.

Personally, I like gardening, crafting, baking, cooking, triathlons (take up a sport) etc.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #7  
Releasing the inner hiker

Your local high school may offer community activities, as well. I know we have an adult "learn to knit" club that meets weekly, as well as an adult book club, a walking group, and also a lot of different learning opportunities.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

volunteer work - there's always a need. Some folks in my town volunteer to walk dogs at the local animal shelter - EVERYONE gets some exercise, and the dogs need the attention.

local food banks, hospitals, religious organizations, animal rescue groups, there are many, many possibilities. even volunteering to sit on a committee in your town [the environmental commission, or the parks and rec committee, or whatever]. Recording books for the blind.

oh my - the list could go on and on and on!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #9  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I read, I'm currently in school (not a cheap recommendation, lol), go to the dog park, yard sale (whaaaa, the season's almost over).

Now that I think about it, summer is really the only time I have for other interests. During the fall/winter I'm in school and that takes up any free time outside of work.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote