Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 12:58 AM   #1  

Default Went to 1st meeting tonight

Hi! I am new here and it looks great so far! I went to my first OA meeting tonight and had some questions for those of you that regularly attend: I had envisioned something more of a support group where members voiced what they were struggling with and the other members encouraged them. This was not what the meeting was like tonight so I was unsure. The leader opened with the Serenity prayer, read a few items like the 12 steps and I believe the promises. The floor was then opened up to everyone and a few shared their struggles from the day/week. They just stated their issue and then we moved on. Does most of the encouragement come from the sponser/member relationship? I was thinking of attending a different meeting for comparison. Just looking for any helpful feedback I guess. I am attending a TOPS meeting Thursday to see what that is about. I am desperate for support to help me in my weight loss so any help is appreciated. Thanks so much
Old 06-20-2003, 12:14 AM   #2  
Raised By Wolves

S/C/G: 335/270/170

Height: 5'8"

All OA meetings follow different formats. Some are strictly discussion meetings, other are literature and discussion meetings, some are speaker meetings and the OA HOW meetings are strictly positive pitch meetings (no open heart sobbing going on there).

You're best bet is to attend as many meetings as possible and not always the same day. Some people are are on vacation or will have another commitment for the eve and can't make it to the meeting. Give it a month, attend some different OA meetings and see who you meet.

You definitely need a sponsor. She/He will be your guide through the program because you can't work it alone.

Take care,
Raffaella
Closed Thread