Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Smile Hi! Newbie here :)

Hi gang! Joining your little group here. Small introduction been overweight forever, blah blah lol I KNOW low carb works for me. Did all sorts of variations of it recently lost 23lbs mixture of low carb and calorie counting but so stuck lately im 5 lbs away from onderland and just cant get under 204 to save my life. So I did some soul searching and really need to give low carb a better shot.

Im not looking forward to the headaches, which seems to be my downfall. I cant stand them and Im not one to usually get them. Hoping water will help.

Also thank you for the information that JerseyGrl posted on those bars. Im sure that's what stalled me out the first time.

So here I go
SimplyLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

The best advice I can give you regarding Atkins is to read the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions) before beginning the plan to insure you understand exactly how & why this plan, when done correctly works.
As far as the headaches, drinking plenty of water does help. Broth also helps (not low sodium).
And last but, certainly not least, Atkins bars are known stallers for most people. It is best to avoid them unless you happen to be in a situation where you have no other low carb food available to you.
You CAN do this!!
All the best to you!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #3  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Welcome Simply Losing!!! I agree with what Jerseygyrl said! I also stick to only whole foods which does not have to be difficult if you can plan ahead, pack lunch for work, etc. I have to work with that thought in my head because I live in a house with a "mixed" pantry! My husband and kids do eat "processed" food like chips, cereal etc. What I have found is that my food choices are starting to influence them. Like fresh cauliflower pieces in water in the fridge for a quick grab snack or zucchini spears! I still make a full meal but don't eat the carb loaded foods like pasta, rice, potatoes, bread or dessert and just have gotten used to the fact that this is the way it has to be for me!! It's a journey......it won't be perfect.....but it will be worth it!!!! Also for what it is worth, I have read a lot of posts here about delays just along the border of Onederland - you have plenty of company!!!and pretty soon you will get there!!!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #4  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Simply Losing!

Glad you have joined us..... and with determination and doing what was said above... Onderland is just the 1st small hurdle... onto even better nos! You can do it!!!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #5  

Thanks for the welcomes! Im already use to not eating what the family does but I am determined!

My only issue will be work. I'm a nursing student and also work 3-1130. Dinner is always rushed and if there are admissions, forget it. eating inbetween running. I will have really plan on bringing my dinner otherwise I might make poor choices due to hunger.

Question, I understand the foods you need to eat in Induction. I have developed a taste for unsweetened almond milk..one cup is 1 carb plus 1 gram of fiber = 0 net carbs. Still a no no??
Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLosing View Post
Question, I understand the foods you need to eat in Induction. I have developed a taste for unsweetened almond milk..one cup is 1 carb plus 1 gram of fiber = 0 net carbs. Still a no no??
You're going to get varying opinions on this. According to the books Dr. Atkins himself wrote, no, unsweetened almond milk is not permitted during Induction. The reasoning being, almond milk is made from almonds, which are nuts, and nuts are not permitted during Induction. It would not be permitted until the seeds & nuts rung of the carb ladder during Phase 2 of Atkins (OWL or Ongoing Weight Loss).
That being said, the new book (not written by Dr. Atkins) "New Atkins For A New You" allows unsweetened almond milk during Induction.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 08-08-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #7  

Thanks Kim! I figured I'd ask. I got the book today so I will be settling in with it tonight!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #8  
not looking back

S/C/G: 196/150

Height: 5'7

welcome!!! I work day shift and know how busy it can get, esp when ALL docs are there and the NP! I've fallen victim to closet burritos lately, it very hard to get taken away....I faithfully take my salad with full fat dressing every day, I either do not get to eat or I'm huddled scarfing it down in the corner somewhere. Good luck!!
smith1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #9  

Smith- so you get it! Im evenings so I don't have as much as a hussle and bussle as you!

Wannaskipandlaugh- Thank you!

Lulu NH- onderland is a very hard goal to reach! its as if your body WANTS you to stay in 200s

JereyGryl- thanks for being a great resource!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 307/294/160

Why do you say read the older versions of the book? I bought mine in the 90's so I am good but I just wondered.
paydaymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by paydaymom View Post
Why do you say read the older versions of the book? I bought mine in the 90's so I am good but I just wondered.
2002 and prior versions of the book are the books Dr. Atkins himself wrote. The "newer" books (as well as Atkins.com) promote Atkins bars & shakes which weren't designed to be eaten everyday or in place of meals etc. Especially during Induction.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 09-04-2013 at 06:20 PM.