Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #1  
:)

Height: 5'3"

Default Help with alternative shakes and bars

I am sure that this has been posted over and over but I have a question and I hope someone can help me..I have been on IP for 20 days now and I weigh in tomorrow but I am already down 9 lbs!!

I am looking to help cut the cost of the program..In a day I take in my 8oz of meat and 4 cups of veggies a day and then I have been using crispy cereal as one packet, one chocolate or vanilla shake a day and one bar. I was reading through a ton of threads and my brain is all confused now...can someone please recommend a alternative shake product as well as the best kinds of bars that are comparable to the IP bars and shakes??? I have a GNC and Walmart near me so I can try to go local and not order online...
asil36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #2  

If you can you should try and read through the pages of "alternatives for IP" threads on these forums...in there you will find reviews and information on how to pick a perfect IP alternative
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 191.4/141.2/130

Height: 5'4

EAS carb control is one of the best shakes I've had and they cheapest at Target or Walmart. Make sure it's the carb control one because they have a regular one too. French vanilla is amazing, but I've heard people like the dark chocolate and cafe caramel. Here in Southern California they are about $5 for a 4 pack. Quest bars are another alternative I've heard that is comparable and they are availabe at nutritional stores and GNC. Not sure about the cost of those, I've only bought them once, but I heard you can buy them online.
socalgirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #4  

Default Thanks

Thank you both for your help...I tried to read through the threads and there were SOOO many different companies and choices...I am hoping someone who uses the alternatives from Walmart or GNC could help narrow it down...the advice about the shakes from Walmart was perfect I am going to go there tomorrow...I am now hoping someone can give advice on which specific bars are good There seems to be some debate on which Quest Bars are good for you on IP and which are not...
Old 08-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #5  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by asil36 View Post
Thank you both for your help...I tried to read through the threads and there were SOOO many different companies and choices...I am hoping someone who uses the alternatives from Walmart or GNC could help narrow it down...the advice about the shakes from Walmart was perfect I am going to go there tomorrow...I am now hoping someone can give advice on which specific bars are good There seems to be some debate on which Quest Bars are good for you on IP and which are not...
There is soooo much info and it can be daunting. It took me 8 weeks on IP and lots of reading in the Alternatives threads to feel confident in switching. Looks like you have a good plan...start with some good local options. I really think you will love the variety you can find online though. There are a lot of companies you can buy from. I have only ordered from Nashua Nutrition and love their stuff. Amberjules has a little cheat sheet on what to look for in alternatives. I can't post it from my tablet, but if you do a google search it might come up, or just watch for it while reading the alternative threads when you have time. Also, there is a thread specifically about Quest bars a an alternative that should be very helpful to you.

Good luck!
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #6  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

I like Pure Protein shakes (ready made) and bars. I am in maintenance, but I think both would be fine for phase 1. I buy these at my local grocery, but I believe Walmart carries these.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by asil36 View Post
I am sure that this has been posted over and over but I have a question and I hope someone can help me..I have been on IP for 20 days now and I weigh in tomorrow but I am already down 9 lbs!!

I am looking to help cut the cost of the program..In a day I take in my 8oz of meat and 4 cups of veggies a day and then I have been using crispy cereal as one packet, one chocolate or vanilla shake a day and one bar. I was reading through a ton of threads and my brain is all confused now...can someone please recommend a alternative shake product as well as the best kinds of bars that are comparable to the IP bars and shakes??? I have a GNC and Walmart near me so I can try to go local and not order online...
In addition to the EAS Carb Control Shakes at Target/Walmart/KMart, also look for Pure Protein. I LOVE them! (Also love EAS.) The Pure Protein are just a little more expensive (around $7.50 for 4) but still worth it (and an oz or so more in each)! Also take note that the prices are WAY better at Target/Walmart/KMart than at CVS/Rite-Aid type stores (or even grocery stores). I have seen them at double the price in those places! (Also chack Costco/Sams for Premier Protein - a lot of people like those.)

Quest you can get at GNC, though they aren't as fresh as the ones people order direct, so they require some softening in the micro. Use the info outline below to select the right ones...

I TOTALLY agree that you are much better off looking at websites such as Nashua Nutrition for an amazing array of product choices. Armed with the following information, you can EASILY select bars, shakes/puddings, soups, snacks... anything... that are fully comparable to IP.

How to determine if an alternative product is compatible with IP:

- under 160 calories (unrestricteds)
- under 200 calories (restricteds)
- less than 30% cal from fat
(multiply cals from fat x 3; OK if lower than total cals.)
- 8g or less NET carbs - unrestricted
- 9g-16g net carbs - restricted
- 17g net carbs - super restricted (only twice per week)
- above 17g net carbs is too high to be good for Phase 1
- at least 12-15g protein (15+ is best)
Also remember NO Asparatame!

I know reading the threads can be daunting. I keep a document open and just copy/paste anything that sounds interesting and then later when I have time go back, reread and organize into categories and keep what I want.

Feel free to PM me if you want some ideas of things I have ordered and enjoyed, though everyone's tastes are different!

Last edited by JLUS; 08-02-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Fixed calorie parameters
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #8  

JLUS you have just made my night...I do not have the permission yet to PM but as soon as I can I most definitly will
Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #9  

Lizzie63 have you ever tried the powder version you have to make for the shakes?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #10  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

JLUS so glad you posted the alternative guidelines.

Also, I just stopped at Target this evening and was surprised by the amount of products they have. DH stopped at Complete Nutrition today and they gave him samples of their V-Core protein powder in Chocolate, Smores, and Vanilla. I am going to try each. They have 25g of protein, which I think is on the high end, but all the other numbers looked good. I will try to remember to give you an update on how they taste. Their web site had good reviews. I was thinking I could use less than a full scoop to cut down a little on the protein?
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #11  

200 cals is pretty high for unrestricted, as most of IP unrestricteds fall between 80-120, with only a few outside of that.
Amberjules made a nice little visual (on existing alt thread, which has the calorie limit at 160)
200 would be tops for a restricted for me.

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-02-2013 at 10:49 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
200 cals is pretty high for unrestricted, as most of IP unrestricteds fall between 80-120, with only a few outside of that.
Amberjules made a nice little visual (on existing alt thread, which has the calorie limit at 160)
200 would be tops for a restricted for me.
Lisa - THANKS! Realized my cut and paste dropped off the first line for unrestricteds (ala Amberjules' guidelines!) I edited to put it back in and labeled unrestricted vs restricteds for clarification. Think this works better now!!

Thanks!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #13  

You guys really are great thank you so much for helping me
Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #14  

The chart is post number 2 on the alternative thread. Fabulous color coded chart. Thank you, thank you, thank you again, Amberjules!
MagnoliaBlssom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #15  
Started IP 6/21/2013

S/C/G: 246/219/165

Height: 5'6"

If you want to narrow down the huge amount of info, search the alternatives thread for the stores near you, to see what people have posted is available there
lauran is offline   Reply With Quote