Old 07-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

Default is this even possible?

so last night i was feeling really pretty shitty and decided to bring my treat day earlier (im planning have one at the end of every fortnight) and i had some wine and a bag of crisps - i'd been craving crisps since tuesday.
So skip to this morning and i step on the scales thinking maybe they cost me a pound or so but nope! im FOUR pounds heavier! Can that be right?
If it is are treat days even worth it? i only had wine and crisps not exactly going crazy.
So disappointed with myself now.
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #2  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

Wild weight fluctuations are always possible. Your crisps will have included high amounts of salt which will cause immediate water retention. Try a cup of green tea today to help flush that out (or asparagus if your diet allows).

Wine will also cause water retention and if you are doing a low carb solution, it will stall you as it causes an insulin spike in response to the sugar alcohols.

It will pass quickly, that amount overnight is not fat, but fluid retention. Maybe find a low sodium treat option for future if the morning after is too much to bear! Otherwise accept that you will blip and wait a day before you weigh in.

Hope that helps, don't stress - it won't last!
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

Thanks Electro! that really helped. You know how sometimes you just have to have someone tell you something?
Im not letting this set me back! porridge this morning as usual, salad for lunch and dinner will be whatever i can ferret out of the fridge (which only has on plan stuff in it).
i weigh multiple times a day, im obsessed.
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #4  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

Lol! I know what you mean, even though I know this stuff in my head, it needs to be said in someone elses voice.

It's not how bad we slip up that counts, it's how quick we get back on plan. Try not to take the multiple weigh in's seriously. It is the progress that counts and your body will always weigh more at the end of each day (unless you allow yourself to be dehydrated as well as starved).

Green tea is great for water retention, but you don't need much to flush the system (it has caffiene as well so don't try if you are sensitive), drink extra water if needed (any dryness of the mouth or lips means you need to drink). Otherwise, wait until morning and most of it should be gone. Your weight loss will continue as normal underneath all of this!

Weigh in as much as you like, but chose one weekly weigh in to be the one that matters. Only take that one seriously, the rest is just information, the weekly one tells you what is really happening with the weight loss.

Good luck and enjoy your journey. May it be made up of a thousand steps of delight!
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Hi Rechyl,

I see the same 2-4 pound weight increase when I realize that I haven't had enough water during the day. I'll come home from work and drink 2-3 large glasses of water, and then by the end of the night I'm up 2-4 pounds. I agree with Electro, it's just water retention.

Don't give up!
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #6  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Awwww, poor honey!
Yeah, I've had those ba-bam water-weight gains overnight, and they are NOT NICE. Especially when you're glued to the scale for progress reports on your journey!
But remember to keep in mind to take the number on the scale with a grain of salt. Like everyone else said, it's obviously water weight-- no one gains 4 lbs of FAT overnight, in the same way that you don't LOSE 4 lbs of fat overnight. Salt is diabolical for making you retain water, and-- if you're anywhere near your TOM (time of the month), you could even be doubling-up on the water weight gain.

Green tea, lots of water (ironic, I know) and your system will flush it all back out. Don't let yourself get too upset, just know it'll go back down.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #7  

Dehydration is an ugly beast! Especially when it's hot outside or I eat salty foods, my body will go "nooooooooooo" and hold on to water for days. I try drinking a bottle of green tea or more water that helps me flush my system. You'll get through this!
SarahLynn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #8  
member member

S/C/G: 207/199/150

Height: 5'7''

this happens to me all the time. particularly over weekends when i'm all like "nah, i'm not gonna log my food because i'm a grown *** woman and i can do what i want!" then i wake up monday and my scale says i've gained like 7 pounds and...c'mon now, that just CAN'T be true. so i get on drinking water like it's nobody's business.
alabama is offline   Reply With Quote