Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 09:31 AM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down LWL #107 - week of 16 June 2003

Howdy y'all!!! Another potentially great week at hand!

Gonna jump in the shower in a second...wanted to start this week's thread first though...

HOT HOT HOT here (last week it was COLD and RAINY - gotta love the Bay Area...)...switched out my workouts - more later...
Old 06-16-2003, 09:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL this weekend here in the motorcity. Sunshine, 80 degree weather - no complaints. A neighbor had the nerve to say it was too hot - I quickly reminded her about January and she shut right up.

I did not make it to the gym saturday or sunday. saturday I had 20+ kids at my house, for a school's out party = jumping rope, hop scotch, dodgeball and running all over the place. Sunday I bought DD a new bike. I hopped on my son's bike and we rode around the neighborhood for over an hour.

Gotta get me a bike!
Old 06-16-2003, 10:29 AM   #3  

It IS hot here. Not fun for me being in and studying. To be comfy I have to turn on the a/c which I don't like to do. I cool the whole house when I am only in one room. I have the chiro this morning and a deep tissue massage tomorrow. I need a full Swedish massage but haven't gotten around to finding a therapist (I went to one here and didn't like her at all).

I am in major complain and vent mode this morning, so if you don't want to hear it, skip ahead.

Yesterday morning I did my first full UBWO since my accident. I did a little bit of everything and tested myself with all the different machines I used to use as well as dumbbells. It was early (about 4:30) and I had the weight room mostly to myself (two other people were in there). I was very careful because of my healing clavical and sore shoulders, neck and back. There is simply no way, with all the studying I have to do, that I can afford to injure myself right now.

So I used very light weight (5 and 10 lb dumbbells and lower settings on all the Cybex machines). One of the men said to me "If you're not going to use real weights, there's no reason to bother lifting." He said it in such a sarcastic, judgmental way but even if he was nice about it, I think I would have wanted to rip his head off.

I didn't explain anything to him, just glared at him. I remember when I lifted years ago and had my bicycle accident. I was really hurt. They had scaped me off the road and put me in the ambulance. I was out for over 2 months with a variety of injuries but I came back to the gym and reinjured myself with a lat pulldown because I was doing it the way I had always done it without acknowledging my injures. Then I came back after that and someone chastized me for the way I was using a shoulder press (because of the lat pulldown injury I couldn't extend my arms all the way out, but the dr said I could go back to the gym and do half reps to get into shape). Well I left the gym back then and the rest is history. Not this time.

My knee is also still injured so I have to go light on the leg machines AND slow on the elliptical and treadmill. I see people looking at me like "Geez, you think SHE'S ever going to get into shape with that little bit of effort???????" I KNOW there are people at the gym who are just screwing around or who are going to get hurt due to lack of form, but that is not everyone and it's certainly not me, so I don't appreciate the looks or the comments. grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

As someone who "knows" how to do it, I can be judgmental along with everyone else. But it's like I tell my husband when he is bellowing about the person driving in front of him, "You don't know what this person's story is." I remember driving home from the hospital the day my mom died and I was in a fog. I thought I was okay enough to drive but I wasn't being aggressive enough for the other drivers around me (I lived in Boston) and they kept beeping at me. I tell my husband, "Maybe they're driving that way because they're an idiot but maybe they just had a death in the family and are grieving or maybe something very upsetting has just happened or maybe they're just coming back to driving after an accident [I was very skittish when I started driving again after this last accident]. Driving and these other things do NOT always mix, but sometimes you don't know that at the time." Anyway, the same is true at the gym. Sometimes you don't know what a person's story is. I hear people (mostly men) make fun of people who read on the treadmills but I have a friend who has had 2 knee surgeries and does the treadmill but must go slowly and she reads magazines. She just needs to put it on the lowest setting and get the gammies moving, not get a full cardio workout in. She's on the treadmill mostly for rehabilitation reasons, not for working out. Just this past weekend I thought about taking one of my bar review books with me to read on the treadmill since I'm going slow anyway. It's best to go and get a power workout in but if you can't, then it's better to be there and go slow than not go at all.

Anyway, I just needed to vent. Some of my closest friends are weight lifters/body builders, but the judgment runs rampant in this crowd and this weekend I was just fed up with it, especially since I go early to get away from this sort of thing AND it's very difficult to come back after major traumatic injuries. It's been really hard for me but I'm trying to do it consistently. And what I'm doing is no one else's business.

Sorry for the soapbox but....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for listening.
Susan
Old 06-16-2003, 11:02 AM   #4  
Meg

Default Oh Susan!

There's nothing I can add to what you've already said. But thank you for reminding all of us that often we are clueless about the challenges and struggles that others are faced with every day.

Keep doing what you are doing with your head held high. You are a strong woman, a survivor, and a winner.

Hugs,
Meg
Old 06-16-2003, 11:59 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Meg - Susan only lives a (relatively) few miles away from me - in Contra Costa County (I live in San Mateo County, on the other side of the Bay). Rest assured I'll be willing to bet that it is going to be at LEAST 10 degrees warmer where she is than here, and we were pretty muggy last night (of course we COULD have turned on the air conditioning but Jim is trying to get our PG&E bill at a new low this month!).

Susan - did the muscleheadz at your gym get up on the wrong side of the bed or what?!? Maybe I miss comments like that because I have my MP3 player and headphones on...gimme a break though - when I came back after my lipo surgery, I stuck to machines and very light weights for the first couple weeks, since I was coming off a 4-week layover. Jerks.

Meg...how are things in Del Boca Vista? (since you're staying at your parents' place in FLA, I keep envisioning Seinfeld episodes where Jerry goes to visit HIS parents in their retirement community...too funny...)

So ANYway...changed up my workouts this week. I just got fed up with the chest/back split...it's tough supersetting from one end of the gym to the other...so here's my 'new' split routine...

Mon - chest/tris
Tues - Back/bis
Weds - Cardio/abs
Thurs - legs
Fri - Cardio/shoulders
Sat - chest/tris
Sun - rest (optional moderate cardio)
Mon - back/bis
etc...

Gonna be a *GREAT* week!
Old 06-16-2003, 12:30 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Deb -- Thanks for the info on the steel cut oats... but is the 1/4c dry or cooked... I sure hope it's dry!! There's no way I could only eat 1/4 of it cooked... it's too yummy, I'm getting used to the taste...
Old 06-16-2003, 01:21 PM   #7  
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanaii1
Deb -- Thanks for the info on the steel cut oats... but is the 1/4c dry or cooked... I sure hope it's dry!! There's no way I could only eat 1/4 of it cooked... it's too yummy, I'm getting used to the taste...
I don't really care for regular oats much anymore. That's defintely dry, but I always used 1/2 cup. I guess that's because I wasn't eating many starchy carbs at the time. Not eating any now! I think when I add them back in I'll eat oats 6 times a day!
Old 06-16-2003, 01:32 PM   #8  

Susan what a JERK!! Some people just don't know when to keep their mouth shut do they?

I am thnking about doing just cardio for a week and then the next week doing weights and cardio. Do you guys have any thoughts about that?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:45 PM   #9  
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Kempyd
I am thnking about doing just cardio for a week and then the next week doing weights and cardio. Do you guys have any thoughts about that?
Why do you want to do a week of just cardio?
Old 06-16-2003, 02:00 PM   #10  

Oh sorry, I feel like I am just not losing any fat with only doing 20 min a day. That is all I have time for b/c I do it while I am at work so I can only take an hour for both. I wrote in my journal what my last stats where and they were not making me very happy. I took my BF and the numbers were not nice to me, especially with the training that I am doing.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:34 PM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Ugh, Monday...

It FINALLY got hot and sunny here this weekend. I thought summer would never come. I had a wonderful weekend and I worked out both Saturday and Sunday so, I'm especially proud! Hee!

Tonight, the Cute Boyfriend and I are beginning a sailing class. He's already and intermediate sailer but I'm not so keen on the sailing thing, but I DO NOT like the idea of being on a boat and not knowing the first thing to do if he falls overboard.

Susan - I'm sorry about your gym experience. What a jerk. I know that I've secretly laughed my butt off at some guy using a machine so wrong that he flings himself off of it but I would never say anything. But your story makes me aware to remember there are all sorts of reasons for people working out the way they do, and I'll try to be more aware.

Kempyd - I would get really bored if I just did cardio. I love the weightlifting part too much.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:12 PM   #12  
future strong chick

Susan, I can't belive what jerks go to your gym! Good for you for sticking to it, and respecting your body.

I wish I lived in No. California! I love it there, so beautiful. My brother went to Sonoma State, I loved to visit him. I was so sad when he came back down here. It'm in Pasadena, near LA and it gets so hot and with the smog, ick!

Mrs.Jim, do you include shoulders on the Back/bis day of your split? I have got to start doing splits, I want to be able to lift everyday

Kempyd, A week of cardio? I coulndt do cardio that much, I'd die of boredom and be playing hooky by the end of the week. You get an hour everyday to workout? How much cardio are you doing now? Maybe bump up the intensity of what you're doing or change machines. I switch between eliptical and treadmill all the time. I find my body gets used to one very quickly. Do intervals and really push on the highs, I set goals for myself just like I do for lifting. i.e. End of July goal is to make my last interval the '10' ( I do 20 mins bfl style), running at 7 mph, and not collapse

verna

Last edited by mixerchick; 06-16-2003 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

susan, your post got me thinking. i have secretly laughed at people at the gym when they were using the machines on very low weights (or no weights), thinking to myself that they are just wasting their time. however, I have no idea what their story is. although i have NEVER said anything out loud, mentally that is still passing judgement and is still wrong. so, on behalf of all the knuckleheads (both silent ones and loud mouth ones) i apologize and encourage you to do your thang your way!
Old 06-16-2003, 05:57 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Kempy -- are you reaching your absolute ""10"" when you do your 20 mins cardio.... Have you done HIIT ? I would much prefer to do NO cardio, but alas, we do have to do some , and a whole week of it would drive me to drink, and it wouldn't be water at the end of each session.... How clean is your meal planning and are you eating enough protein?
Old 06-16-2003, 05:59 PM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Deb -- thanks for the info one more time....
Closed Thread