Old 07-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #1  
Seeker of Nice People

S/C/G: 660/573/250

Height: 6'3.5

Smile Introducing myself...

Hello Everyone.
I'm new here, and this is my first post, but I have to say THANK YOU to everyone, as I've been getting inspiration from reading the numerous forum posts for a while.

I am currently on the Atkins diet, and I have lost 45 lbs. and I have a heck of a lot more to lose. Sometimes I struggle as I have been an emotional eater in the past, but I'm hoping my future interactions with all of you here will help to keep us all energized, excited, and motivated to meet and exceed our weight loss goals.

Thanks again.

OneReallyBigBird
OneReallyBigBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #2  
Cindy

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome! You are in a good place here!
cldwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

& on your 45 lb weightloss!
There is a great bunch of people on this site and lots of encouragement!
You CAN do this!
All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #4  
Seeker of Nice People

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldwv View Post
Welcome! You are in a good place here!
Thank you, Cindy!

I'm happy to be here because it's great to know so many wonderful people are sharing the same journey.

Now I don't feel quite so alone, in my struggle to lose these pounds.

Thanks again.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #5  
Seeker of Nice People

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
& on your 45 lb weightloss!
There is a great bunch of people on this site and lots of encouragement!
You CAN do this!
All the best to you!
Thanks JerseyGyrl, for your kind words of encouragement!

I have come to think of you as the Atkins Guru because your long term weight loss success, and your many posts here are a great inspiration to me.

I have question for you regarding adopting the Atkins diet long term. How do you overcome carb cravings?

I have a problem with carb cravings and temptations after two or three months of eating high protein/low carb. My carbs are usually consists of a little lettuce and broccoli, but I'm definitely haunted by all the carbs that are not allowed.

Also, like other members here, I think I'm going back to following the original Atkins '72 book, as I purchased and read "The New Atkins for a New You" e-book, and I found the diet somewhat watered down and less effective for me.

Thanks again.

OneReallyBigBird
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 312/266/180

Height: 5' 11"

Great job - be proud of your accomplishments! We're all cheering. =)
Sbunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #7  
Seeker of Nice People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbunnie View Post
Great job - be proud of your accomplishments! We're all cheering. =)
Thanks Sbunnie, for your awesome words of encouragement.

They are very appreciated!!!

Thanks again.

OneReallyBigBird
Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #8  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

to you! 45 LBS OFF! WOWOWOWOWO You have done so well! Just think how far you will go and get! You are an inspiration and your posts will be a joy to read! I am looking forward to your journey!

WHOO HOOO!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyBigBird View Post
Thanks JerseyGyrl, for your kind words of encouragement!

I have come to think of you as the Atkins Guru because your long term weight loss success, and your many posts here are a great inspiration to me.

I have question for you regarding adopting the Atkins diet long term. How do you overcome carb cravings?

I have a problem with carb cravings and temptations after two or three months of eating high protein/low carb. My carbs are usually consists of a little lettuce and broccoli, but I'm definitely haunted by all the carbs that are not allowed.

Also, like other members here, I think I'm going back to following the original Atkins '72 book, as I purchased and read "The New Atkins for a New You" e-book, and I found the diet somewhat watered down and less effective for me.

Thanks again.

OneReallyBigBird
Hi OneReallyBigBird
Me....Atkins Guru....wow, thank you for the compliment! I am very passionate about Atkins and enjoy sharing my experience with others in hopes it will educate them about this way of eating. There is so much ignorance & so many misconceptions regarding Atkins. Over the years, I think I've probably heard them all. From "oh yeah, Atkins....thats the all you can eat bacon, butter & red meat diet" or "Atkins is 0 carbs" or "Atkins isn't good for your health". My goal is to help educate anyone who is considering this way of life
As for overcoming the carb cravings, for me, the "secret" is substitution. There are so many excellent Atkins friendly, low carb recipes out there! From appetizers to desserts....stuffed mushrooms, green bean snacks, cheese it crackers to no bake cheesecake, crustless pumpkin pie & buttered almond creme brulee....there are low carb options for just about anything! Check out Linda's Low Carb Recipes:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
You will finds lots & lots of delicious alternatives for some of your carb laden favorites.
Atkins 72 is an excellent choice! I always tell people to read the 2002 & prior edition books because those were written by Dr. Atkins himself. The "newer" versions, like "The New Atkins For A New You" is pretty much someone else's interpurtation of Atkins with alterations.
If I can be of any help to you, please don't hesitate to send me a message anytime. I am more than happy to help if I can
You CAN do this!
All the best to you on your Atkins journey!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #10  
Seeker of Nice People

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Hi OneReallyBigBird
Me....Atkins Guru....wow, thank you for the compliment! I am very passionate about Atkins and enjoy sharing my experience with others in hopes it will educate them about this way of eating. There is so much ignorance & so many misconceptions regarding Atkins. Over the years, I think I've probably heard them all. From "oh yeah, Atkins....thats the all you can eat bacon, butter & red meat diet" or "Atkins is 0 carbs" or "Atkins isn't good for your health". My goal is to help educate anyone who is considering this way of life
As for overcoming the carb cravings, for me, the "secret" is substitution. There are so many excellent Atkins friendly, low carb recipes out there! From appetizers to desserts....stuffed mushrooms, green bean snacks, cheese it crackers to no bake cheesecake, crustless pumpkin pie & buttered almond creme brulee....there are low carb options for just about anything! Check out Linda's Low Carb Recipes:
You will finds lots & lots of delicious alternatives for some of your carb laden favorites.
Atkins 72 is an excellent choice! I always tell people to read the 2002 & prior edition books because those were written by Dr. Atkins himself. The "newer" versions, like "The New Atkins For A New You" is pretty much someone else's interpurtation of Atkins with alterations.
If I can be of any help to you, please don't hesitate to send me a message anytime. I am more than happy to help if I can
You CAN do this!
All the best to you on your Atkins journey!
Hey JerseyGyrl,

Thank you so much for your encouraging insights and Atkins knowledge. I just finished looking over all the awesome low carb recipes available at the web page you mentioned (Linda's Low Carb Recipes) and I'm definitely feeling a lot more positive about my long term success.

Also a month ago I purchased a box of the Atkins brand peanut butter cups, and they were delicious, and supposedly "induction friendly" but they completely halted my weight loss. It seems those products are just a little too good to be true, at least for me anyway.

Why would a company hurt it's Atkin's brand putting such products on the market?

Also, a funny memory came to mind when you mentioned Cheez-It crackers. When I was about 5 or 6 years old, I survived one of my mom's many all day beauty parlor appointments, by grazing hour after hour on what had to be the world's biggest box of Cheez-It crackers. I was insanely nauseous that evening when my mom and I finally returned home, so my ever wise father reached for the instant cure for all the ills of my childhood, which was a trip to McDonalds! And it worked, (a little too good as I look in the mirror). LOL. And I haven't tasted a Cheez-It since that awful day.LOL.

Thanks again kind words and your coolness.

OneReallyBigBird
Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyBigBird View Post
Hey JerseyGyrl,

Thank you so much for your encouraging insights and Atkins knowledge. I just finished looking over all the awesome low carb recipes available at the web page you mentioned (Linda's Low Carb Recipes) and I'm definitely feeling a lot more positive about my long term success.

Also a month ago I purchased a box of the Atkins brand peanut butter cups, and they were delicious, and supposedly "induction friendly" but they completely halted my weight loss. It seems those products are just a little too good to be true, at least for me anyway.

Why would a company hurt it's Atkin's brand putting such products on the market?
Also, a funny memory came to mind when you mentioned Cheez-It crackers. When I was about 5 or 6 years old, I survived one of my mom's many all day beauty parlor appointments, by grazing hour after hour on what had to be the world's biggest box of Cheez-It crackers. I was insanely nauseous that evening when my mom and I finally returned home, so my ever wise father reached for the instant cure for all the ills of my childhood, which was a trip to McDonalds! And it worked, (a little too good as I look in the mirror). LOL. And I haven't tasted a Cheez-It since that awful day.LOL.

Thanks again kind words and your coolness.

OneReallyBigBird
Hi OneReallyBigBird
After reading your Cheez-it story I can absolutely understand your not having any desire to go anywhere near those again! I had a bad experience many years ago with chinese food and have never touched it again. Funny the way our minds work isn't it?
As for those Atkins peanut butter cups & Atkins bars, its best to stay away from them. I know the label says "Induction friendly"....but, no, they aren't. If you look at the ingredients, they contain things like soy, milk & peanuts which are not on the acceptable foods list for Induction. This article will explain those products better than I can.
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
Sadly since Dr. Atkins death in 2003, things have changed drastically with Atkins Nutritionals Inc. Its all about making money and as you know, those "Atkins" candy bars & shakes aren't inexpensive.
I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe website I highly recommend the Just Like Twice Baked Potatoes and the Cheeseburger Bacon Quiche. I'm sure you'll find a lot of favorites there as well.
All the best to you!!!