Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #1  
member member

S/C/G: 207/199/150

Height: 5'7''

Default weird diet restrictions

a few years ago, i was hospitalized for having blood clots in my leg from what everyone assumed was my birth control. i'm sure it was definitely a contributing factor, but through a tonnnnn of doctor visits lately and giving up what seems like thousands of vials of blood, we figured out that i just have a blood clotting disorder. so i have to take coumadin (a blood thinner) every day. the thing about coumadin, though, is that there are some pretty weird dietary restrictions that come along with it -- i can't have any sort of cranberry product (hardly affects me at all), and i can't have things that are rich in vitamin k because they counteract the coumadin. but things that are rich in vitamin k are total diet staples to me -- no leafy green things like spinach, lettuce, no broccoli, etc.

so basically i'm posting because...i don't really know how to eat right now. i'm kind of a big salad/green things person, so i need some alternative ideas. is anyone else taking coumadin?
alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Morning Alabama!

I don't know much about Coumadin/Warfarin myself, but I asked Dr. Google, and found this website that lists fruits and veggies lower in Vitamin K, or, if higher in Vitamin K, indicated what is an acceptable serving size.

(I'm not a doctor, didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, etc, etc, take my advice with a grain of salt. )

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar...farin-diet.php

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

One of my closest friends is on blood thinners, and he worked with his cardiologist to adjust his diet and his Coumadin dosage to work together. He explained to me that he can eat foods rich in vitamin K, but it has to be a consistent amount - no more and no less than whatever he's used to.

I would suggest talking more with your doctor or maybe seeing a dietitian with Coumadin experience about your diet and what you should be avouding and what you can eat, but have to monitor.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #4  
Pottymouth

S/C/G: 182.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Second to what Kaplods said it's key to eat a consistent level of vitamin K but check with your doc first. If you eat a consistent amount of vitamin K your dose can be tailored to maintain your target INR (through your frequent blood draws you'll have to get while on coumadin- one of the real bummers about that med is the never ending blood draws..... On the upside it's a much cheaper med than a lot of the newer ones on the market). Talk with your doc but as long as you're getting consistent intake you guys can figure out your dose and you should be ok- there should be no reason to totally eliminate all the foods you love.

If in talking with your doc you decide you can't tolerate the dietary restrictions if they want you to maintain them, the myriad interactions with other meds that coumadin has, or just go nuts with the frequency of blood draws talk to him or her. There are so many meds out there now with even more coming out all the time! Talk with your health care professional and you'll find the perfect match for you. Wishing you good luck and continued good health
TraumaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

I just want to echo the previous advice. If you work closely with your physician or anticoagulation nurse, keep on top of your INRs, and keep your vitamin K intake consistent, you should be able to continue to enjoy your green foods Just talk to your doctor about your concerns.

Last edited by shelflife; 07-11-2013 at 12:06 AM.
shelflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

Put me on the work with your doctor bandwagon. I was on Coumadin for 6 months (injury induced DVT) and I ate lots of green leafy veggies - the most important thing to do is be consistent with your diet. I was initially told to limit Vit K, but after talking with my cardiologist we determined that I could eat what I wanted as long as it was consistent, and my coumadin dosage was adjusted accordingly and my pt/inr level stabilized at an appropriate level.
Good luck!
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #7  
member member

S/C/G: 207/199/150

Height: 5'7''

thank you everyone! i just started the coumadin and was just told initially by the nurse who gave me the diagnosis to google a coumadin diet and try and stay away from those certain things. it's good to know there is a possibility of being able to keep my leafy green things around if i keep them consistent! of course, i have to get my pt/inr checked friday (and probably every week for...ev...er) and i'll talk to the people at the coumadin clinic about what i can/can't eat to keep my levels therapeutic. i appreciate all of you guys, thank you!
alabama is offline   Reply With Quote