Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'2

Default This time is no different :( I don't know what to eat!

I joined this site and began eating much healthier and trying to exercise 5X a week about a month ago. The first week I lost 6lbs, the next week maybe 1, then nothing the next two weeks. I've now gained 2lbs back because obviously if I'm not losing but still working out and heating healthy I get discouraged and start allowing more junk into my diet.

I'm not sure what to do, I thought this time would be different. I've done this before...lost the exact same amount and the put it all plus more back on. Around this time last year I did a healthy wage challenge with friends and literally lost 7lbs and could not get past that point.

I even added in more cardio and some weight training and the scale still hasn't budged! So before I gain the rest back and more does anyone have any advice?

I've even been contemplating lap band...or getting a dog which would force me to go for more walks lol.

I'm seeing my doctor in a few weeks and hopefully making an appt with a nutritionist as well. Part of my problem is I've tried and read about so many diets that I'm so confused on what to eat. High protein, low carb, low cal, low fat? Do you get your protein from meat sources or just veggies? I recently watched Fat, Sick and nearly dead and Forks over Knives and both really pushed the point that veggies have protein too and we don't need meat? They also allow lots of fruit...as does weight watchers! Fruit is free. When I think fruit I think sugar. Sugar turns to fat. It doesn't make sense to me. Help?!
needchangenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

To me, it sounds like you haven't hit that diet "sweet spot"...the diet that works for YOU. Everybody is different, and what works for one person may not work for another. It's about finding something that you can live with, because in order for the diet to work, it needs to be something you can do daily and not feel like you're cheating or cutting out everything you love.

Do you track everything you're eating? Do you count calories? Are you measuring your portions? Portion sizes are important because although the food may be healthy, if you're still eating portions big enough for 2-3 people, you may not be in the calorie deficit, and that is why you're not losing weight.

For me, I use Weight Watchers. The first couple of weeks were tough, because what I considered a portion and what Weight Watchers considered a portion were very different. I enjoy that the fruits and most veggies are free, as it promotes healthier choices. Sure they contain sugars, but it's teaching me to choose the healthier option over the snickers bar. Following their guidelines, I still keep the fruits and veggies within 3-5 servings per day.

If you like meat, don't feel obligated to cut it out! My fiance likes to go all out and eat salads for a week, then gets burned out because he misses the protein. Yes he was making healthy choices, but by denying himself the things he enjoys, he rebels against the diet after a period of time and goes back to his normal eating habits.

I know you can do this!!!! Always remember you are worth it!!!!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

It's all about consistency and by that I really mean sticking to it. It's easy to start a diet the more difficult thing is sticking to it especially when you see stalls or even little gains.

Our bodies are very fickle and any little thing can see temporary weight gain. Do you weigh yourself weekly or daily? If it's weekly it may have just been an increase for that day because of increased sodium or water weight. It also could be cycle related. I know that I gain a bit of weight the week before my period other women find a weight gain with their period and some don't see any gain cycle related. It's hard to know exactly what your body is doing after only one month.

I don't have any advice as to what diet you should use because everybody is different. What works for me- eating around 1600 calories a day, won't work for everybody. I like counting calories because it's taught me all about proper portion sizes and I still can eat whatever I want as long as it's in moderation which keeps me from wanting to binge.

My biggest piece of advice is to just stick with it. It will work. I never thought it would for me because it never had in the past. However the main reason was I always gave up. This time that is not happening and while I've had many weeks were I haven't lost weight and even a couple with gains the overall trend is downwards and it's fantastic. Keep it up and I promise you'll see results.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

You can lose weight on any foods, including sugar and fat, as long as you're in a calorie deficit. That said, when you're limiting quantity it's helpful to strive for maximum fullness, and most of us find that foods with protein and fibre are a lot more filling than cinnamon buns.

I'm not sure what your starting weight is, but if you're considering lapband I'm assuming it's over 200 pounds. I suggest you aim for 1,500 calories per day for the next month, and stick to a handful of healthy meals that you enjoy. I'll bet you'll see some weight loss after a month. As someone else noted, it's all about consistency.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 06-18-2013 at 07:28 AM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
High protein, low carb, low cal, low fat?
I understand and have been where you are, thinking, "so many diets and what should I do!" I recommend choosing one and starting. If it does not work for you, then you adjust. I recommend starting with counting calories and eating what you are eating now. Pick a calorie goal. If you don't have an idea of how many calories to aim for, I recommend starting with 1500 and see how that goes. Then look up the calorie content of the foods that you like to eat. Be sure to find out the portion size. Weigh and measure everything you eat and keep track. If you find that you don't get enough food, look at your higher calorie items and then try to find something else that you can eat instead.

The main thing is just, get started!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #6  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I whole heartedly agree with the above posters. It doesn't matter what you eat, so long as you are eating at a calorie deficit. Of course, for overall health and fullness it's good to find a balance of fat, protein, and carbs, but that balance is different for everyone.

Start keeping a food journal and calculate your daily caloric intake. You may be surprised to find out how high it actually is, even with eating "healthy" stuff.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You have been given some good advice by the above posters I would add to it do not give up !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

And one thing you should know is weight loss is not linear. Our bodies are composed mostly of water and water fluctuates thus causing scale fluctuations. You could lose fat and remain the same weight due to water. So if you want to be successful long term, you will need to accept the weeks where you don't lose anything or even see a slight gain.

Calorie counting is one of the simplest methods to use so it is a good starting point.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #9  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

I think you know way more about what to eat than you're giving yourself credit for! You lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks. That's awesome! If you lost that and nothing else in a month, that would've averaged out to nearly a 2 pound loss a week, which is on the high end of what's recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needchangenow View Post
The first week I lost 6lbs, the next week maybe 1, then nothing the next two weeks. I've now gained 2lbs back because obviously if I'm not losing but still working out and heating healthy I get discouraged and start allowing more junk into my diet.
I agree with the others. You've just gotta stick with the healthy lifestyle even when that effort's not quickly reflected on the scale. For many of us, weight loss isn't a steady, consistent drop. You'll stall and even go up a little, regardless of how well you're sticking to the plan. As long as you keep going, the overall trend will be down and eventually you'll be at the weight you want.

Last edited by crispin; 06-18-2013 at 05:51 PM.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

It is very confusing, no doubt.

The critical thing to understand is that calories matter. When you're in a caloric deficit your body burn fat to meet it's energy needs.

The method you chose to restrict calories is up to you. In my opinion everyone should count calories for a while, which today is easier than ever due to technology.

From there you can decide if you want to continue counting calories or if you would rather follow some kind of a rules based diet.

Goodluck
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #11  
Viva Cristo Rey!

This may be way out in left field, but could it be that you're working out too many times a week for having just started? Maybe your body is going into a starvation mode pattern and you need to shake things up a bit so it doesn't know what to expect . . . I'm not exactly sure how since I don't know your whole situation but maybe your doctor or a trainer could help.

Anyway, I'm pullin' for ya and wish you success! :
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: Ticker

Thanks guys! I'm going to use MyFitnessPal and count calories for now since it seems like that's what the general idea is. My head is no longer spinning
needchangenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/155

Height: 5' 7"

Here's my two cents. I do t have the time or money to go to weight watches or other progams. I downloaded an app called shapeup on my phone and they also have a website and the two are linked. I use it to track my food. It has a good data base for foods and will calculate how many cal you can have using height weight and activity level. ( I keep mine on low activity). You can also put in exercise. Its a free app or you can upgrade it for 35 for the year. I also use runkeeper.also free and both online and on phone. The most important thing is try to be consistent. Also keep in mind that the scale can lie. You may be adding muscle which weighs more. I also suggest taking your measurements. Sometime I may not see weight loss but I do see inches lost. ( the more measurements you take ie neck chest ankle ect the most inches you see gone) and yes you can see a reduction in places like ankles and wrists. Good luck to you. You CAN do it.
ainslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 253.2/215.2/140

Height: 5'6"

Glad to hear your you joined my fitness pal. I was going to recommend it. I have been using it since January. Even when I cheat I record it all. Then when I tally it up at the end of the day I am always amazed to see what my weight will be in 5 weeks. That is usually my reality check. Plus it is a nice reward to see how little you weigh after behaving for 3 weeks. I also try to get all 5 colors of fruits and vegtables. I find the craving for junk goes down when I get it in. Try and find a challenge on here to join and reward yourself but not with food. I buy myself an Alex and Ani bracelet for every 10% body weight lost. I have 12 more pounds to get my next bracelet.
Good luck with your weight loss and stick with it.
soon2beskinnyCarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #15  
Pantless

S/C/G: 205/185/170

Height: 5"4'

this was a lot of good advice I was looking for too. I have trouble with eats cos I can't really buy healthy food..but I count calories and try not to eat much of w/e we are having. I also walk/jog almost everyday. I usually take a few days off to let my body rest. But that's what I'm doing and it seems to be working. I haven't lost THAT much but people are noticing my body is slimming, like my face and arms.
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote