Old 06-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #1  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Default Serious question about shark week

Can one week of "bad" eating detail an entire month of being on plan?

It's shark week (TOM) and I'm ravenous, positively starving! Would it be ok to up my calories to maintanance levels for one week each month? Would it negatively impact my weight loss overall?
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

I seriously don't think so. Especially if you are still counting calories and keeping it at maintenance. I mean, when you get to your goal you expect maintenance range will keep you there right? So why wouldn't you just stagnate now?

Even if your weight goes up slightly, maybe you are having this hunger because you are....well, hungry! I'd definitely listen to your body and as long as you have a plan to stay within a maintenance calorie range, then go ahead until your TOM is over and then get back on the wagon
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Lol, I totally thought you were talking about Shark Week on A&E and was like whaaaat?

No I don't think it will derail you, it's not "bad" eating when you're hungry. I'd say you're probably hungry for a reason. I've read your metabolism raises slightly during TOM, so it could be that.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by charliee; 06-10-2013 at 07:36 PM.
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Hahaha, shark week! You crack me up Mozzy! I can't say for sure, but I think you could still lose doing so...maybe you could even just up your consumption of higher satiety foods like protein? IDK, but good luck!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Like Lecomtes- I can't say for sure you won't/shouldn't gain but I think protein/fat based foods is a great suggestion.

Let us know how it goes!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #6  
Momof4

S/C/G: 317/*ticker*/198

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
Lol, I totally thought you were talking about Shark Week on A&E and was like whaaaat?
Ditto!

Do you normally gain or stall during your TOM? I'm actually hoping that's my problem right now. (Never thought I'd hope for TOM to show). I don't think eating at maintenance will hurt your weight loss a bit. Let us know how it goes.
Nagazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

I upped my calories a good bit today, lets see how tomorrow goes.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Hmmm... I'd say overall it shouldn't affect your loss, except for your overall total for the month may be slightly less as you aren't in as much of a deficit for those days. Just stay with healthy calories for most of it, maybe just slightly larger servings of what you are already eating or extra protein/healthy fats.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #9  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I always have to eat more that week. If I'm losing steadily it doesn't make an impact, and it doesn't break my stalls.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Hubby and I call it "meat week," because only during TOM do I crave red meat. If it weren't for "meat week, I could comfortably eat vegetarian without missing meat, but during TOM a vegan diet would drive me to insanity, I think.

I also crave fat, salt, and carbs (in other words everything but low-cal veggies).

I feel best, and have the best weight loss results when I increase calories, but reduce carbohydrates. That is spending the extra calories on fat, protein and extra vegetables and berries. I do spend some of my carb budget on dark chocolate, as high % of cocoa as I can stand (I prefer milk chocolate, but will eat too much).

Veggies stretch the calories further, so I'll make a huge pot of low-cal veggie soup (ideally a day or two before I'm due as I get terrible cramps and don't feel like cooking during TOM). Soup is low-cal, high fiber, and very comforting. It's one of the few "comfort foods" that satisfies my tom cravings and yet isn't high in fat, carbs, and calories.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/155

Height: 5' 7"

Love calling it shark week. My shark week is before I get my TOM. have to have carbs. HAVE TO. I don't eat much bread except for then. So I stopped buying it. I don't think uping your cal will make a big difference. You can alway balance it iut with less cal or more excerise. Oddly enough excerise during TOM helps witb the cramps (even though I don't feel like doing it)
ainslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #12  
I'm bringing sexy back!

Well I upped my calories from 1400 to 1800 for shark week. Gained 2.5 lbs and lost it all within a week (must have been water retention.)
I think my experiment was a success!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: S/C/G 250/206/140ish

Height: 5'3"

Good job on the experiment.

I always lose around shark week...and probably eat a little more generally at that time.
bSpring3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #14  
Medifast 6/18/13

S/C/G: 255.6/see ticker/155

LOL, shark week ! Never heard that before. Love your ticker about losing 5 lbs twenty times, great way to look at it !!!
becksdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #15  

I wondered what serious question about Shark Week (on A&E) you could possibly have, too ... thanks for the laugh

I eat more during a few days of TOM, but I also up my exercise during that time. It helps alleviate cramping pain and I tend to be crabby/PMS during that week anyway, so the exercise helps regulate my mood too.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote