Old 06-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/236.5/140

Exclamation Who to trust?

I am trying to get on my healthy tip.I read different things on different websites.Sometimes things contradicts other things. I dont know who to believe. Any reliable websites?
sh0rtydeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #2  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

This is the only website I use for weight loss. I think what works for each person is different and learned through trial and error. A lot of people on here have had great success just counting calories. Some combine counting with intermittent fasting. I would suggest going through the "general diet plans" section and see if you can find some helpful information there on different plans. There's also a calorie counter's section.

Good luck!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #3  

Thanks for the feedback. What is the intermittent fasting you talk about?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtydeee View Post
Thanks for the feedback. What is the intermittent fasting you talk about?
There are several threads on IF (intermittent fasting) here on 3fc... Just do a search for it and they should come up... And a google search should turn up quite a bit as well... There are lots of "plans" out there... Fast 5, Eat Stop Eat, leangains, the 5/2 diet, the 8 hour diet, etc.

But basically what I do is I eat during an 8hr "window" and then I "fast" the other 16hrs of the day... So for me that means I usually eat between 12pm and 8pm... so basically what's refered to as a 16/8 routine... But there are quite a few variations, so some people fast longer... say with only a 5hr eating "window" and there are plans where people fast for 24hrs once or twice a week and eat normally the rest of the week... So lots of different ways to go about it...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I skip dinner but drink beer instead and eat salads the rest of the time.

It's a bit of a crazy house here really.

But finding something that works for you, even if not a recognised plan, is the way to go.

Pick and mix. That's what I have done.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #6  

Thanks Guys for the feedback! Im new to 3FC so I am still trying to figure out the forum.. But i will search .. Thanks Again1
Old 06-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #7  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

!

Shortydee: Just to let you know about the search feature on here- it does not work very well. I'd recommend using Google by putting in "site:3fatchicks.com" (without the quotation marks) then whatever you want to find from the site. I do this method instead of using 3FC's search feature. Hope that helps!

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with! Looking forward to more posts from you on here!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #8  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Who to trust?
Trust your body. Trust your gut.

I too tried a few different things before deciding what felt right. For me- it ended up being eliminating artificial foods and getting back to nature. :: nods ::
Good Luck!

What particular weight loss tips were you looking at?
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #9  

Height: 5'2"

Firstly, it's important to know who is giving you the information. Scams and fake diet cures will either cite "ancient wisdom" from some far-flung culture, or else it will have convincing-looking data from one study that was conducted and funded by the company trying to sell you stuff. Any plan that is worth following will have a slew of data and citations from multiple publications and peer-reviewed journals. Now, data can be skewed in many ways, but at least you want to know where the person writing the book/article/website got their information. Reading over the 3FC forums will give you some good ideas about where to find good resources.

Read everything. Discard plans that promise a quick cure and consider plans that offer lifelong habit changes. Of those, pick one that makes sense to you. There is no one "right" answer, that's why you see so many plans out there and each one has its own vehement adherents and detractors. Above all, it has to be the plan that works for you. Here are my main criteria:
1. Does it promise quick results, or a lifestyle change with gradual but sustainable imporovements? Anything that promises quick results is a scam to sell you a supplement/meal plan/device for beaucoup bucks.

2. Does the plan include the importance of exercise? Any legit plan will at least bring up the subject. Obesity and overweight are often symptoms of a poor lifestyle, and cannot be treated without addressing the whole lifestyle.

3. Do you like the foods that are included? On any plan you are going to limit or skip foods you enjoy, so it's important to ensure that the foods that are "allowed" are ones that you like to eat.

4. Can you afford to eat this way? Many people forget to evaluate this, but it is absolutely a limiting factor. I would love to go to an all-organic diet, but I gots ta make rent. Meat-based diets like the Primal Blueprint or Atkins won't work as well for someone who is on more of a rice and tuna fish budget.
Above all, read anything and everything you can about everything to do with weight loss. Read (and ignore) stuff you know is a scam so that you know what sort of buzzwords and warning signs to look for. Read every reputable plan you can find; you will find good advice in all of them, even if you don't follow that plan to a "T".

Your needs will change as you lose. What works for you now will need re-evaluation and tweaking as you approach goal. Exhausting, right? That's why you should fill your head with information and tips and advice. 3FC is a great resource because you can get honest feedback from a huge group of people who have tried everything under the sun.

At the end of the day, you may tell people you follow a particular plan just to simplify things. But chances are you are going to be following a combination of 2 or more plans. For example, I tell people I am on a low-carb diet. But in reality, I have combined calorie counting with some of the principles of low carb and Primal Blueprint.

Almost every plan you can think of has a forum or subforum here; most of those have sticky threads for FAQ and resources. If those don't answer your questions, you will find posters who are actually doing that plan and can give you feedback. 3FC is a great resource, so use it! Think of it like Wikipedia for Weight Loss.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I recommend you read Jillian Michael's Slim for Life. This is one of the most practical books I've ever read on weight loss.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #11  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Shortydee: Just to let you know about the search feature on here- it does not work very well. I'd recommend using Google by putting in "site:3fatchicks.com" (without the quotation marks) then whatever you want to find from the site. I do this method instead of using 3FC's search feature. Hope that helps!
I do this too!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #12  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Try Mayo Clinic and other large teaching Hospitals.
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote