General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default Sunlight and water is all you need

The "breatharians" have good intentions, but I'm not completely convinced that one can get by on only sunlight and water.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...xperiment.html
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

What is wrong with people? Honestly... This seems like well-publicized suicide.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Hope she has her legal work in order! Not to mention I live in the Seattle area. We've had sunshine for the past week, but we're known for our long periods of rain........obviously not living on a lot of light out here!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even plants need more than sunshine and water.

I'm always torn between laughing and crying when I hear or read about self-destructive belief systems.

The "good news" is that very few people are able to actually starve themselves to death. Certainly it's not rare, but the majority of people will eventually eat, because hunger is a strong biological drive in most people. Unfortunately, one of the ways in which the drive can be thwarted is in a cult or group atmosphere. Starving yourself as a group is easier than starving yourself on your own.

Creepy (and just a little bit morbidly funny)... Being empathetic, but with a streak of dark humor can be a curse (as I laugh and then scold myself for laughing and the dark side just laughs harder and accuses my light side of being a prude, and the light side...... and then my rational mind (the party pooper) steps in and said "enough of this foolishness..."

While I don't meet the criteria for multiple personality disorder, it does sometimes seem awfully crowded here inside my head (ok, now they're ALL laughing).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2013 View Post
Hope she has her legal work in order! Not to mention I live in the Seattle area. We've had sunshine for the past week, but we're known for our long periods of rain........obviously not living on a lot of light out here!
It's dumped BUCKETS of rain on us all week here up the coast in Juneau...*sigh*
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I used to work with a guy who did a 67 day water fast. The only thing he ingested beyond water was strained vegtable broth every morning which got him some essential minerals.

He was fairly thin when he started and by the end he was skin and bones.

When he ended the fast he transitioned into the 80/10/10 diet which is basically eating only fruit.

I haven't talked to him in six years but I have no doubt he is doing some really weird diet to this day.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

I can't quite believe that people would think this is a way to survive. Plants get their energy when sunlight causes a series of oxidation reactions that release energy for the plant, aka photosynthesis. In humans, we need glucose to form ATP for our energy, aka respiration. Humans just aren't the same as plants!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Well one can survive a long time without any food, the fact that she has water and some stored body fat (not that she looked overweight to begin with) is currently keeping that woman alive after 5 weeks. There are some biblical accounts where people fasted for 40 days (Jesus, Elijah, Moses...maybe more that I can't remember). I'm pretty sure they got by on stored body fat, and they stopped within a liveable time frame. I'm not sure she is going to make it her intended 4-6 months. She already says she feels weak and is having all other sorts of complications. That doesn't sound like "living" to me.

However by the before and after pictures she has, she looks like she has aged about 10 years in one month. For all the sunlight she is eating, she has a lot less color in her face at week 5 than in week 1 as well.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #9  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

WHY? Why on earth would you do this? You have to be short a few screws to think this is a good idea I think.

I don't understand what you would get out of this. Other than becoming an emaciated bone sack of course... or death.

Man some people are just.... not very smart.

Last edited by Silverfire; 06-07-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

This is frustratingly stupid. I'm actually worked up over this...suicide (I agree Stella).

Those side effects sound awful! This woman is killing herself. Is she not concerned about dying over this??

Last edited by Cali Doll; 06-07-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #11  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Stupid English newspapers.

Protein, people. Protein. (And other nutrients).

Although I could compromise on sunlight and beer!

Last edited by IanG; 06-07-2013 at 10:01 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote