Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/226.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Group Fitness Classes

I just joined LA Fitness, thanks to my mom who treated me to a membership. (She's awesome. ) And I want to give some of their group classes a try. I've been thinking about yoga, water aerobics, cycling, and zumba. Step aerobics and kickboxing sound fun... but I think I'm too fat for them.

Was just wondering what group classes y'all have taken, and which ones you'd recommend based on fun and how comfortable they are for an overweight person?
dumpling99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 258/146ish/146ish

Height: 5' 5

I would recommend you try several and then stick with the one you like the most and works best with your schedule . I think Zumba is a lot of fun and take that class frequently. There are people of various sizes/fitness levels and they are all having fun and working out. Spinning is also a great workout and you can go at your own pace. Kickboxing and step at my gym are really intense but I think it depends on the instructor. I've never down aqua aerobics mainly because I don't like to get wet I didn't start classes until I was 20lbs from my goal... At my highest, I walked, power walked and progressed to running. My knees let me know after a while that running could not be my main form of exercise so I picked up classes in January. Each class is different and depends on the instructor... Good luck!
monmis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I love cycling/spin classes. You can decide how hard you want to work by adjusting your gear and no one else can tell what gear you are on so there is no competition/embarrassment if you are at a lower level than others. The only think about cycling classes is your butt will be sore from the seat but that will go away after a few classes if you stick with it. I have always though Zumba looked fun but I don't have the coordination.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpling99 View Post
I just joined LA Fitness, thanks to my mom who treated me to a membership. (She's awesome. ) And I want to give some of their group classes a try. I've been thinking about yoga, water aerobics, cycling, and zumba. Step aerobics and kickboxing sound fun... but I think I'm too fat for them.

Was just wondering what group classes y'all have taken, and which ones you'd recommend based on fun and how comfortable they are for an overweight person?
Try them all and see which one you like best. Then once you get interested in one keep going and add a little more--maybe a spinning class or something else.

I love group exercise--because I am a social person. Yoga is way to quite for me--I have got to talk and laugh while I exercise--so I go to Jazzercise which is not gym related. Zumba and Jazzercise are about the same--dance aerobics--but Jazzercise adds some weights and other exercise's--abs--strengthening and toning after each aerobic session.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/224/145

I go to LA Fitness too, and always want to do the Zumba and spin classes. I always watch the Zumba from the cardio machines, and the girls (cuz you know the men are never in there lol) don't look much more coordinated than I am. But I'm still chicken. :P
Someday I will get the courage though! You will too.
phishgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpling99 View Post

I love group classes, I love the sense of being with other people engaged in activity. I'm not fond of working out all alone all the time and signing up for a class also gives you some accountability.

Yoga - these classes are usually very long. If you've never done yoga before it's worth a try but be prepared to sit for long periods of time in uncomfortable positions. Personally I don't love yoga classes because they are so long and I get bored.

Water aerobics - I've taken a few water aerobics classes at various gyms and have usually been the youngest and the skinniest person in the classes. It's a really good form of aerobic exercise if you have achy joints and bad knees. But I could never get my heart rate up high enough so it's more of a gentle work out.

Step aerobics - very hard workout, even the smallest step will bring your heart rate up way high. I unfortunately did a few too many step classes in my past and injured both my knees. So be careful with this one if your knees are a bit sensitive.

Kickboxing - by far my favorite kind of class. Very high intensity. It really really really feels like a work out and provides the best kind of stress relief. I'm a pretty gentle person but I've really learned how to throw a good punch. Be prepared to sweat buckets.

Zumba - haven't tried it yet but I have friends who swear by it, one of my friends loved Zumba so much she became a certified trainer!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #7  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Zumba is great and ok for pretty much any fitness level. I go to several classes a week. There are women of all sizes, ages, etc. If you enjoy dance, I would also recommend Nia (more of a modern dance/martial arts combo), but that is harder to find. Also, modify whenever you need to. I don't do anything with jumps and I occasionally skip the turns if my knees aren't feeling up to them. Always go at your own pace.

I haven't taken too many other classes because I have the same worry about keeping up (and recently my knee injuries) but I do go to yoga which is great. Two things - ask some people in the gym about how intense other classes are. This could include the teacher. Or, if your gym has glass walls to the group room you can hang around when the class is on and watch for just a bit to get an idea of how intense it is.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

The question you should be asking yourself, rather than what is an exercise appropriate for someone who's overweight, is what exercise best matches your personality and your idea of something that's fun & challenging.

My gym includes women with all kinds of bodies and at all different weights, and I have seen them do all of the things you have described.

Do you have any limitations? Is anything on your body particularly sore or crunchy or weak for some medical reason?

Do you like the water? Or do you hate getting wet?

Do you like quieter, slower, almost introverted past-times?

Do you like to dance with a lot of other people around?

What's your tolerance for loud music and shouting?

Really, what it comes down to, is, who are you, and what are your needs?

You may even discover that you really enjoy something you thought you wouldn't like, but this is where to start.

Last edited by saef; 06-04-2013 at 02:15 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 231/226.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Thank you so much for all your responses, ladies! You all made me feel a lot less apprehensive about going to my first class.

Saef, thank you for your advice. I guess it is more important to do something fun and that fits my personality (and that won't kill my knees).

This morning I tried yoga. It was... strange. I had done some yoga-type poses in physical therapy before, and they recommended trying a class. I didn't know moving slow and breathing could make one sweat so much! But I left the class feeling more flexible, proud of myself for sticking it out, and with a clear mind. I'm gonna go back again!
dumpling99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

I finally decided I had enough and it was time to get serious in October. My journey started with joining the Y. I was 225 pounds (and 31), but determined to do group exercise.

My first class was water aerobics (which I have done before). I like it and any fitness level can do it, but it is mainly older women and men(at least my experience).

I then tried a step class and boy was it beyond me. They were spinning all around the step and I was completely lost.

Next on to Zumba. My goal for the first class was just to make it through the whole thing. I knew I couldn't do all the jumping, but I just didn't want to have to leave early...and I did make it....and I went back....and low and behold I found a great group of people and a wonderful instructor that pushed me to try new things.

She convinced me to try her step class. I was lost again, but now I was with friends. I kept up with it and now I can step with the best of them (at least in her class).

Next, she convinced me to try her spin class. The first time I did it was ROUGH! After 15 minutes, I thought I was going to have to quit because my bum hurt so bad on that little seat. I did make it through the class, but realized that I wasn't there physically for that class.

Fast forward six months. I now do Zumba 4x a week, step 1-2 times a week, and a strengthening class 2 x a week. I also just tried spin again last week and was AMAZED at the difference in my physical strength. I had no trouble doing the class.

I say all this to say that you do have to just try. I never thought I could do all that I do, but feel so great to be holding my own with all the skinny exercisers. Plus, I have found a great new group of friends.

Last edited by living the lifestyle; 06-10-2013 at 10:04 PM.
living the lifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I love group classes, I love the sense of being with other people engaged in activity. I'm not fond of working out all alone all the time and signing up for a class also gives you some accountability.

Yoga - these classes are usually very long. If you've never done yoga before it's worth a try but be prepared to sit for long periods of time in uncomfortable positions. Personally I don't love yoga classes because they are so long and I get bored.

Water aerobics - I've taken a few water aerobics classes at various gyms and have usually been the youngest and the skinniest person in the classes. It's a really good form of aerobic exercise if you have achy joints and bad knees. But I could never get my heart rate up high enough so it's more of a gentle work out.

Step aerobics - very hard workout, even the smallest step will bring your heart rate up way high. I unfortunately did a few too many step classes in my past and injured both my knees. So be careful with this one if your knees are a bit sensitive.

Kickboxing - by far my favorite kind of class. Very high intensity. It really really really feels like a work out and provides the best kind of stress relief. I'm a pretty gentle person but I've really learned how to throw a good punch. Be prepared to sweat buckets.

Zumba - haven't tried it yet but I have friends who swear by it, one of my friends loved Zumba so much she became a certified trainer!
I am with you there. I have to work out with other gals. Jazzercise like Zumba dance aerobics--also incorporates weights--body sculpting and a little stretching into their one hour classes. I have loved it now for over 20 years. Being fairly active I have tried running--yoga--and other things but I find the best work out I can get is working out with others. I enjoy the company--and am a social animal anyway. We have the girls Christmas party--bar-b-q's in the summer--compete for how many classes we have attended in the last couple of months to win prizes--it just keeps me going back. It's really a great time and way to stay fit--and all the time you're making new friends.

Last edited by Kscott; 06-11-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 320/IP303/197/135

I love my kickboxing class. It can be tailored to your fitness level and there are folks of all sizes in the class.
Cherie2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie2888 View Post
I love my kickboxing class. It can be tailored to your fitness level and there are folks of all sizes in the class.
We do a little kickboxing in Jazzercise too. I like it.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #14  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
The question you should be asking yourself, rather than what is an exercise appropriate for someone who's overweight, is what exercise best matches your personality and your idea of something that's fun & challenging.

Really, what it comes down to, is, who are you, and what are your needs?

You may even discover that you really enjoy something you thought you wouldn't like, but this is where to start.
Exactly. Whatever you try, give it 4-5 times before you decide you hate it. Show up 5-10 minutes early and tell the instructor you are new. They should have some advice, especially if it's spin. They will help you set up your bike. Consider a gel seat cover if you haven't been riding, it will help with the sore butt. That goes away the more you ride, by the way.

Try different instructors, they all do things a little different and use different music and so on.

After all that, relax! Everyone went to their first class with the fears you are feeling. The first class is the worst. Maybe just do part of a class with a plan to do more next time? You might want to warn the instructor, first. Who knows, you might get so into it you forget to leave.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 193/185/152

Height: 5 '6

My gym has an aqua Zumba class, you can check to see if yours does to. I also love Zumba and no cares what size you are in there.

My favorite is Body Combat, its like kickboxing.
Jenud97 is offline   Reply With Quote