Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Default New Rules for Lifting for Women AND calorie counting

I posted a thread yesterday about wanting to lift heavy, and by suggestion here, I bought the New Rules For Lifting For Women, today. I've started reading it and haven't gotten very far as I literally JUST bought it.

I know it comes with a meal plan, but I'm going to stick to my LoseIt! app and keep counting my calories despite what the book says. I got the book for the exercise regimen, not the nutritional aspect. i am going to get enough protein and increase my caloric intake in accordance with my exercise and all that jazz.

Now onto the question, have any of you done this program WITH calorie counting? How did it work for you? What did you think of the over-all program? Did you see results? Any information is greatly appreciated .
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I'm going to start this program soon, and I calorie count, so I'll be following this thread
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I have the book. I have not followed the program specifically. I mostly bought it to learn more about weight training and I use it as a reference guide. Like today, I read the part about push-ups because I really want to achieve push-ups. I'm past the wall push-ups, having mastered form. So now I'm doing the 45-degree angled push-ups. I was interested to read how he doesn't show knee push ups because the core is not engaged as will using that technique. My trainer confirmed that. And she's all about proper form.

This book helped me a lot when I was trying to do weight training on my own.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

While I haven't started the program yet (I'm hoping to start Monday) I will continue to calorie count during it. I'm also not going to follow their meal plan. I will however be upping my calories a bit, from 1600 currently, to 1700 on non-workout days and 1900 on workout days. I found a spreadsheet used by a lot of people who do NROLFW and that was it's recommendation for a 500 calorie/day deficit for me. I wish I knew where I got it from. It also came with a spreadsheet with training logs for the entire program.

I've also joined the FB page for NROLFW (https://www.facebook.com/groups/NROL4W/) and everyone on there is super helpful. There's a ton of people currently doing the program or repeating it for the umpteenth time. Whenever someone has a question there's a ton of answers within hours. MFP also has a group for NROLFW and people are pretty active on it as well.

Last edited by Changergirl; 05-29-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #5  

Thanks all. I will check out that facebook page. I'm so stuck on what weight to start with and don't want to seem like a total idiot at the gym. Ahh well. It is what is it! Good luck to you lot that are doing this program as well. Should keep each other motivated!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

Remington90- I'm completely with you on the how much weight to start off with. I've actually been making a list of what other people have started off with and the range is enormous. I guess it'll just be trial and error when I go in and start Monday (hopefully).
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #7  

Changergirl, well we're on the same page. If I do it before you ill tell you what I start with!