Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230.8/199.5/150

Height: 5'2

Default Extra packet if 200+?

I had my first weigh-in last night (down 5.3 lbs, yay!! ) and my coach told me that if I wanted to, I could have an extra packet during the day (4 instead of 3) because I weigh 200+. I asked if it would make a big difference in my weight loss and she said since it's only 100 calories, probably not. I went ahead and bought extras for this week (which cost me extra money, of course).

Has anyone else that is over 200lbs been given the same instructions? Did it hinder your weight loss?

Last edited by amt6; 05-24-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Meant 4 packets instead of 3 :p
amt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt6 View Post
I had my first weigh-in last night (down 5.3 lbs, yay!! ) and my coach told me that if I wanted to, I could have an extra packet during the day (3 instead of 2) because I weigh 200+. I asked if it would make a big difference in my weight loss and she said since it's only 100 calories, probably not. I went ahead and bought extras for this week (which cost me extra money, of course).

Has anyone else that is over 200lbs been given the same instructions? Did it hinder your weight loss?
everyone is supposed to eat 3 packets, except for those on alternative plans. I've seen it mentioned that if you are 230+ you should have 4.
Ruti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #3  

I'm sorry.... I meant 4 instead of 3. I always forget the restricted are packets because I use them as dessert and they're yummy!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #4  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

First for clarification, are you saying three unrestricted packets plus your one restricted packet a day? Because in all honesty the protocol is for 3 packets a day (before any unrestricted packets get added)
I started IP over 200 pounds and was never told to do an extra unrestricted packet just because of my weight. I would listen to your body and add one if you felt you needed it, skip the extra if you don't feel you need it. For me part of this journey is learning to actually listen to your body and be mindful of what it is trying to tell you. I agree though that either way it should not affect your weight loss. Perhaps others who were a bit heavier when they started will weigh in as well.
MntRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: H253/219/177.4/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
I had my first weigh-in last night (down 5.3 lbs, yay!! ) and my coach told me that if I wanted to, I could have an extra packet during the day (3 instead of 2) because I weigh 200+. I asked if it would make a big difference in my weight loss and she said since it's only 100 calories, probably not. I went ahead and bought extras for this week (which cost me extra money, of course).

I was told by Coach who is also a very well educated Nutritionist to have 4. It really all depends on your body. I am in the 170's now and she is still having me eat 4 because of my muscle mass. She goes by your body chemistry to decide what is best. I am very happy with my losses. I have been seeing her for almost 3 years. 2 1/2 years before I started IP. She has helped me go from 253 lbs to where I am now and put most of my fibro symptoms to rest.

So NO not everyone will eat 3 packets a day.
bellasamimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #6  

Just for clarification: She said I can eat 3 unrestricted packets per day PLUS one restricted.

My plan was to see how it goes, and if I'm feeling particularly hungry or sugar crashy, than I should eat the extra.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #7  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

First of all - CONGRATS!!!
My coach told me that I could have up to four (4) unrestricted and one (1) restricted per day. She did not say it was based upon my weight. I will not, however, that I have a high lean muscle mass percentage, so that may be part of it.
sarita75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntRose View Post
First for clarification, are you saying three unrestricted packets plus your one restricted packet a day? Because in all honesty the protocol is for 3 packets a day (before any unrestricted packets get added)
MntRose are you sure you don't mean 2 unrestricted packets plus 1 restricted? That's the plan as I understander. Its 3 a day and one (of those three) can be a restricted. An extra unrestricted packet could be used ONLY in the first week if very hungry or weak. Ongoing if hungry between meals have ONE hard boiled egg daily.
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #9  

My understand is that the "normal" protocol is 2 unrestricted + 1 restricted. My coach said I should/can do 3 unrestricted + 1 restricted because I weigh over 200lbs.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #10  
Started IP 1/9/13

S/C/G: 234.4/158/130

Height: 5'1

When I started I was 234lbs. My couch also told me to do 3 unrestricted and 1 restricted since I was over 200lbs. When I reached 195 we moved to 2 unrestricted and 1 restricted. Her main reason for the increase was that she didn't want my body to go into starvation mode and even though I was hesitant to add another packet she asked me to just trust and it worked. I still lost weight.
lumielumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumielumes View Post
When I started I was 234lbs. My couch also told me to do 3 unrestricted and 1 restricted since I was over 200lbs. When I reached 195 we moved to 2 unrestricted and 1 restricted. Her main reason for the increase was that she didn't want my body to go into starvation mode and even though I was hesitant to add another packet she asked me to just trust and it worked. I still lost weight.
Thank you for your response! We seem to have very similar stats. I am a veryyyyy slow loser, and I just don't want the extra packet to slow me down even more.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 337/296/209

Height: 5:10

Quote:
I had my first weigh-in last night (down 5.3 lbs, yay!! ) and my coach told me that if I wanted to, I could have an extra packet during the day (4 instead of 3) because I weigh 200+. I asked if it would make a big difference in my weight loss and she said since it's only 100 calories, probably not. I went ahead and bought extras for this week (which cost me extra money, of course).

I am in week 6 (day 38) and I have resisted the restricted foods so far except a box of bars I purchased just for emergencies. ( in car and feel bad with no food available) Ive split my bar into 1/4 and that has held me over. I'm not implying at all that I think that a 4Th pack is wrong to have. We are all super different and behave differently with our intake needs/ cravings/ sugar levels. My point is I started at 337 and am down 41 by week 5. My IP coach tells me that I can have a 4th pack any day I feel I need it.( never more than one restricted) I haven't yet but can see where some can have the need/urge. Bottom line, If you are in ketosis and are following the protocol, Its my personal opinion that you are going to lose weight.( not withstanding you have something medically wrong that keeping you from losing) That being said... I tried 2 weeks of the IP protocol by the sheet exactly! and then did the last three weeks with slight adjustments that work for me and I am much happier/ food satisfied with my tweaks. My point.. do whatever makes you feel good and keeps dropping the pounds!!
lucypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 337/296/209

Height: 5:10

Quote:

OH!! and congrats on the weight lose!! Great Job!
lucypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #14  
Started IP 1/9/13

S/C/G: 234.4/158/130

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Thank you for your response! We seem to have very similar stats. I am a veryyyyy slow loser, and I just don't want the extra packet to slow me down even more.

That was my fear as well. That I would add the extra packet and that it would slow down my weight loss. But she asked me to just give it a try for a week or two and like I said I did it and all was fine. Good Luck!
lumielumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #15  
IP Start 2/5/13

S/C/G: 315/ip292/see ticker/145

Height: 5ft 5in

There was a very interesting thread about this a couple of days ago entitled something like : "do you have to eat more shakes the more you weigh"
It should be easy to find as it could only be back a page or 2.

I started out on IP at 292. My coach told me I could have an extra packet or an egg for the first week. But truthfully, I have needed that extra packet/egg/alternative product ever since. My job is a 12 hour shift and is very active and my body really needs the little extra or I don't feel well. It has not slowed my losses. If it did, I would eliminate it.
brelo is offline   Reply With Quote