Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #1  
Christine =)

S/C/G: 247/199.5/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Balance issues and sinus pain while swimming

So Ive decided to get back into swimming. Yesterday was my first day of doing laps again. Halfway through my routine (which was pretty short), I started feeling dizzy...not "Im going to pass dizzy" but "my balance is totally off" dizzy. I rested for a couple minutes, it improved and I carried on. Towards the end of the routine, I started feeling excruciating pain in my sinuses, particularly the maxillary/ sphenoid area in front of my ears and behind my cheeks, and I got out of the pool and was walking as if on a boat.

So, I figured the balance issue (and maybe sinus pain?) was due to water in my ears and I did all the tricks to get it out, and everything got better over the next hour....but obviously Id like to not experience this again, and Im a little worried about the sinus pain, because I did some research and cant find any other posts about swimming and immediate sinus pain.

Ive never experienced this before, and I ordered some ear plugs off amazon (macks aquablock) and got a nose plug too so maybe that will help, but does anyone have any ideas why this would suddenly be a problem? And if anyone has experienced this and has advice for the best way to prevent it, Id appreciate it!
happierme88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I always have sinus issues where if i'm bending way over or doing something where my face is parallel to the floor (push ups etc) I feel a lot of sinus pressure in my face....I don't know if it would be the same with swimming laps

I also have sensitivity to chlorine and it gives me a major headache and feels like my whole inside of my face has been dried out...its weird and I don't remember that happening when I was younger

however I don't know how to swim and am not often in the pool because of that

hopefully the earplugs and noseplug will help solve the problem
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Your sinuses are connected to your ears, nose, mouth, throat and eyes. Any foreign matter (such as pool water) can definitely make an impact on sinus pressure and sinus related problems. And immediately as well.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by happierme88 View Post
So Ive decided to get back into swimming. Yesterday was my first day of doing laps again. Halfway through my routine (which was pretty short), I started feeling dizzy...not "Im going to pass dizzy" but "my balance is totally off" dizzy. I rested for a couple minutes, it improved and I carried on. Towards the end of the routine, I started feeling excruciating pain in my sinuses, particularly the maxillary/ sphenoid area in front of my ears and behind my cheeks, and I got out of the pool and was walking as if on a boat.

So, I figured the balance issue (and maybe sinus pain?) was due to water in my ears and I did all the tricks to get it out, and everything got better over the next hour....but obviously Id like to not experience this again, and Im a little worried about the sinus pain, because I did some research and cant find any other posts about swimming and immediate sinus pain.

Ive never experienced this before, and I ordered some ear plugs off amazon (macks aquablock) and got a nose plug too so maybe that will help, but does anyone have any ideas why this would suddenly be a problem? And if anyone has experienced this and has advice for the best way to prevent it, Id appreciate it!

It almost sounds like an ear infection which is fairly common if you're also having sinus pain, which would also be causing some balance problems. I had an ear infection not too long ago--and what surprised me is my ear didn't hurt. They just gave me some antibiotics and it cleared up right away.

Last edited by Kscott; 05-24-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #5  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink

Hi there,

I agree with kscott because it does sound like something involving your ears. Perhaps you can see a health professional to rule out an infection in your ears.

I swim also, and I have sinus issues. I use a saline spray twice a day which is over the counter, it does not contain any medicine, just saline. Common brands that manufacture this saline are Simply Saline, Ayr and Ocean. I squirt twice from the bottle into each nostril twice daily and it helps to moisturize and clean out the congestion in the nose and sinuses. It has been recommended to me by numerous doctors that I do this because of my sinus issues and it is very helpful.

Good luck in resolving this issue.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote