Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Too fat for yoga :(

My doctor has prescribed restorative yoga for me and I really love it. It helps me relax and heal from some unfortunate injuries. But I feel like such a blob. Most of the positions that require you to lean forward and relax like child's pose are excruciating because I can't breathe! My belly and boobs are too big to be able to breathe comfortably. Anyone else in the same boat? Please tell me it gets better and easier.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #2  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Are you doing a class or a DVD? I do the Biggest Loser yoga DVD and even though it's not "real" yoga I feel like it's helping me learn and become comfortable with the moves so I can move on to something more authentic. If you're doing a class, maybe talk to the instructor about your concerns.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Someone once told me I was too fat for Pilates. I proved them wrong.

What's important to understand is that even if we were all thin, we'd all still have differing ranges of movement. Don't fall into any self-judgement about what you think you should be able to do. Pay attention to how good you feel when you're doing it. If you are gaining the benefits, then you have found success.

In my Pilates class, I struggle with Child's Pose. I carry a lot of my weight in my thighs and can't find a comfortable place. I do what I can. I can push my knees and feet out wider and get down a little lower. And what's great in class is that everyone else is focusing on their stuff, too busy to note what I'm doing. There's no perceivable judgement! (Except in my own head.)
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
Someone once told me I was too fat for Pilates. I proved them wrong.

What's important to understand is that even if we were all thin, we'd all still have differing ranges of movement. Don't fall into any self-judgement about what you think you should be able to do. Pay attention to how good you feel when you're doing it. If you are gaining the benefits, then you have found success.

In my Pilates class, I struggle with Child's Pose. I carry a lot of my weight in my thighs and can't find a comfortable place. I do what I can. I can push my knees and feet out wider and get down a little lower. And what's great in class is that everyone else is focusing on their stuff, too busy to note what I'm doing. There's no perceivable judgement! (Except in my own head.)
I do it mostly at home, but I've been to a couple of live classes. I'm not that concerned with how I look but more with how I feel. I have so much... body in the way of doing the poses. Someone else is feeling really good stretching their feet out and putting a pillow on their lap and then laying their head on it, it looks simple but for me it's a nightmare. I can barely lean over enough to even reach the pillow much less lay on it AND feel relaxed! And when I do get into supposedly comfortable positions I can't breathe because my stomach is all compressed or my face is smothered in my boobs lol. I'm going to keep at it but I feel as graceful as a walrus
Old 05-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
Are you doing a class or a DVD? I do the Biggest Loser yoga DVD and even though it's not "real" yoga I feel like it's helping me learn and become comfortable with the moves so I can move on to something more authentic. If you're doing a class, maybe talk to the instructor about your concerns.
Why do something fake when I can focus on the real thing? I don't like BL.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

It absolutely gets easier! The more I do yoga, I love seeing how much more my body can do. Even 10 pounds has made a difference in my child's pose. Of course I cannot do every pose perfectly, but as long as I am progressing, I feel good. If you are not already, try child's pose with your knees apart, but big toes touching so there is room for your upper body to go...there may be modifications you can find online for poses that are uncomfortable.
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #7  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I have trouble with child's pose too, although now that has a lot to do with my knees.

Another option is I know there are some plus size yoga studios in NYC, like this place: http://www.buddhabodyoga.com/.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #8  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

I do yoga & my belly/boobs definitely get in the way, but I do the poses as best as I can right now. It's already getting easier for me, & it will get easier for you too.

I use the BL yoga dvd & I think it's real yoga, just at a basic level. My body & I are learning the basic poses until I'm able to do the more difficult stuff when I'm smaller. I'm getting stronger & more flexible from doing it, even with my big belly in the way.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #9  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I'm nearly 400 pounds still and I actually take a yoga class. It's hard for sure, it feels like an endurance sport. I just do what I can, and listen to my body for the rest. It gets easier.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #10  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Google fat positive yoga or body positive yoga - there are LOTS of modifications out there that can make yoga more comfortable for you! I know http://bodypositiveyoga.com/ has a few posts on modifications, but I don't know if they've addressed the poses you're having issues with.

Last edited by merilung; 05-18-2013 at 01:53 PM.
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightahead View Post
It absolutely gets easier! The more I do yoga, I love seeing how much more my body can do. Even 10 pounds has made a difference in my child's pose. Of course I cannot do every pose perfectly, but as long as I am progressing, I feel good. If you are not already, try child's pose with your knees apart, but big toes touching so there is room for your upper body to go...there may be modifications you can find online for poses that are uncomfortable.
It DOES get easier. Child's pose was very uncomfortable for me too, but it's definitely better. I've done it at 183 lb and I've done it at 155 lb. The difference actually wasn't even so much my weight but how long I had been doing yoga and how flexible I was getting.

So when you go into child's pose, widen your knees so your boobs/belly fit between them. This helps immensely. And if you continue doing child's pose a lot, your flexiblity improves which actually makes the pose more comfortable, regardless of your weight.

But I do agree, there are a lot of poses I do that I think - if I could just get rid of a couple layers of fat this pose would be so much easier! Pigeon pose on the floor, in particular, I think if my thighs and calves had less fat on them, maybe my hip/bum would actually touch the ground! Because my hips are very flexible, it's just the fat gets in the way lol.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
I have trouble with child's pose too, although now that has a lot to do with my knees.

Another option is I know there are some plus size yoga studios in NYC, like this place: http://www.buddhabodyoga.com/.
Hey thanks for that! It's a bit far from where I live and therefore not feasible but it's nice to know that it's out there!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #13  

Thanks all, I'm going to keep at it and hope to see progress soon
Old 05-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
My doctor has prescribed restorative yoga for me and I really love it. It helps me relax and heal from some unfortunate injuries. But I feel like such a blob. Most of the positions that require you to lean forward and relax like child's pose are excruciating because I can't breathe! My belly and boobs are too big to be able to breathe comfortably. Anyone else in the same boat? Please tell me it gets better and easier.
One of the biggest myths about Yoga is it's easy, ha.ha. It's not. I consider myself physically fit--I exercise--mainly aerobic a lot--but for me to do yoga I'm a total beginner--and feel like blob myself. It's hard for me to keep my balance in certain positions and I'm typically re-adjusting all of the time.

Just keep it up and you'll get good at it is my suggestion. And remember you're not the only one that's having problems with it.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
Google fat positive yoga or body positive yoga - there are LOTS of modifications out there that can make yoga more comfortable for you! I know http://bodypositiveyoga.com/ has a few posts on modifications, but I don't know if they've addressed the poses you're having issues with.
This is great thank you so much!