Old 05-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #1  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

Default PPV for Canned Fruits

I am a bit confused on this. Someone at my meeting said that canned fruits (Dole, etc) are 0 PPV if the can says it's in water or it's own juices. But when I scanned it with my app it says 10 PPV for the can. Was I told bad info? Are there any canned fruits that are low/free PPV?
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I just used the WW barcode scanner on my phone on a can of Dole Pineapple Slices in 100% Pineapple Juice that I just happened to have lying around and it said 2 pts for 2 slices... so that's what I would go with... IDK... maybe some other types of canned fruits are different?
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #3  
Loving Simply Filling

S/C/G: 195/161.4/164

Height: 5'8"

In my meeting the leader said canned fruit in water is 0pps but juice or syrup go with the PPs value on etools. If you use the scanner it just uses the nutrition value in the can, example a banana would have a pps value if you looked up the nutrition and used the PPs calculator but we all know a banana is 0.
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

From the WW Website:

Are there situations when I need to count PointsPlus values for fruit?
No, not for fresh fruit. Yes, fruit does have calories, and it contains fiber and other nutrients. But we’re assuming that you’ll eat a certain amount of fresh and other unsweetened fruit (veggies, too) each day, and have taken that into account when giving you your daily PointsPlus Target.

All fruit is 0 PointsPlus values when it's fresh, unsweetened frozen, canned in its juice and drained, or with artificial sweeteners. What if you peel it? Yep — as long as it’s unadorned, it’s still zero. (Again, same for veggies.)

You do need to count PointsPlus values when there's added sugar, such as fruit in syrup or in juice, or when there's less water content, as with dried fruit.

So, if you drain the juice it is 0.
Keli10801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #5  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

Thank you all for the info! It is very helpful!
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote